Best Resources for New Instructors

EMS2712

I am in the process of setting up a mentoring program for our new instructors (CE and full EMS-I) within our department. I am looking to pull information from other instructors as to what they feel were the best resources (articles, books, CD's, DVD's) that helped them over the years in their teaching careers. I am hoping to pull this information to do some lectures and training sessions with the new instructors along the way. Any help would be appreciated.

Lt. Zachary Wolfe

Delaware County EMS

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am in the process of setting up a mentoring program for our new instructors (CE and full EMS-I) within our department. I am looking to pull information from other instructors as to what they feel were the best resources (articles, books, CD's, DVD's) that helped them over the years in their teaching careers. I am hoping to pull this information to do some lectures and training sessions with the new instructors along the way. Any help would be appreciated.

Lt. Zachary Wolfe

Delaware County EMS

The book, EMT Teaching a Common-Sense Approach I found to be very helpful as a new instructor. The author is Richard A. Cherry. It has a 1998 copyright and a few things that are a little bit more outdated but there is a lot of very good information out there. I too am interested in resources so far its just hit or miss on what is out there. In regards to putting my lectures together I do a lot of "thinking outside the box" and try to remember that the textbook is a guide, there are other things/topics that sometimes may be needed based on the student population in a class. I use the world wide web to research information. From tips for power point presentation to pulling from every text book I can get my hands on, I try to get whatever I can from anywhere I can get it. Depending on what type of information you are looking for EMS1.com is a good site to use for information. They have "paramedicTV" while some if it may not be very useful there is some. Same as Youtube their may be a lot of garbage but if you spend the time to look there are valuable resources out there.

EMS.gov - has a lot of history type things available.

I had the opportunity to view The History of Modern EMS very interesting and a lot of information on that DVD. Its a little bit pricey.

everydayemstips.com - Very good site.

emseducast.com - has a lot of podcasts that you an download and listen to while your driving that covers a lot of topics that instructors face. I found some good information there. Particularly the podcast on bullying in adult education.

A place you can get free power point backgrounds to spice up your lectures can be found here: http://www.medicineppt.com/

I had the opportunity to see presentation on active learning by Dan Limmer recently. Looking into active learning, especially for the younger generations that we are seeing coming into this business need things to keep the focused. Just talking and using text on slides is not reaching the younger generations. I don't think it holds there attention. The book "Active Learning Manual EMT-B" by Limmer and Le Baudour really intrigued me as a new instructor.

Last but not least, in this day an age technology is all around us. I have been spending a little bit of time looking at some apps that are out there for the smart phones to try to pass them along to students and instructors for that matter. Anywhere from anatomy and physiology to just things that could help them learn and help them in the field as providers.

Theres a few that I came up with off the top of my head.

One more thing to add. I had the opportunity to use a "clicker" or "student response" program while taking a college class. I thought i was a really great idea. I work in a small department that does not have a lot of "budget" for the purchase of such an expensive item. In turn since everyone has texting capabilities anymore I found this sit:. http://www.polleverywhere.com. As long as you have less than 30 students you can set up an account and essentially create questions etc, and add them directly into a power point presentation. I say as long as you have less than 30 students its free. There are some perks to getting the paid subscriptions. I did not have that option in my service. This works well for accomplishing the goal of keeping students engaged in the lecture.