What's in your First In Bag(s)?

NannieKane

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what everyone else uses.. But I find it necessary to use an aspirator that can hold more than a mouthful of vomit, etc. So, the portable aspirator doesn't fit in the bag. It's next to the AED, has a handle. Depending on the type of call, we take it in. There's always the recovery position. Everyone seems to forget how to be practical these days. Big and fancy or stop and give the stare of life.

Our portable suction is not in our first in bags because it is a standalone item taken in on certain calls.

Anyone else find it slightly concerning battery powered portable suction is not part of more peoples first in equipment?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Our portable suction is not in our first in bags because it is a standalone item taken in on certain calls.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Ours used to be set up this way. It was moved into the first in bags because it can be hard to predict when you'll need it, and it's generally not something you really have time to run back and get. I complained greatly at first, as it added several pounds to our already bloated aid bags, but after having it immediately available at bedside on several instances in which I KNOW I wouldn't have carried it in otherwise I don't think I would do it any other way now. It's probably is a piece of equipment that needs to go in on nearly every "emergency" call.Just think, how often do you go in a hospital room where there's no wall suction?

Edited by usalsfyre

We carry hand powered suction in the O2 bags. Battery powered is available if call demands it. Plus we have stand alone suction onboard.

4c6 said it the best. Nothing wrong with the recovery position. Just turn the person on their side. Most folks that vomit know before hand they will so you get them on their side. If they are under full spinal and you are sure of your strapping (as you should be) just turn the whole board on its side.

Anyone else find it slightly concerning battery powered portable suction is not part of more peoples first in equipment?

We don't carry any battery powered portable suction on our ambulances. We bring in a manual suction in our first in bags and rely on the fire department to bring their (usually better) suction

(I know this is not the best way/ how it should be, just saying how it works here)

Arrests are a given, few of them don't result in something being suctioned. I take it in for seizure calls, along with my two tongue blades wrapped with tape and gauze. :devilish: ha ha. I routinely send someone to get it on a particular patient we run for quite a bit. But with a large bulb syringe from my 6.99 a case deal, and the recovery position, it usually ends up as extra baggage. Search the sales and clearance sections of supply catalogs, some large irrigation syringes, or bulbs are great spur of the moment aspirators.

Arrests are a given, few of them don't result in something being suctioned. I take it in for seizure calls, along with my two tongue blades wrapped with tape and gauze. :devilish: ha ha. I routinely send someone to get it on a particular patient we run for quite a bit. But with a large bulb syringe from my 6.99 a case deal, and the recovery position, it usually ends up as extra baggage. Search the sales and clearance sections of supply catalogs, some large irrigation syringes, or bulbs are great spur of the moment aspirators.

Don't usually bring it in on seizure calls, but I've never arrived to an actively seizing patient. Occasionally I'd have one seize again on me in the back of the truck, but the most I ever had to do was manually open the airway of one of them following the seizure.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.