Growing up

emsgirl

Via the Ask Jeeves search engine, found the TV show from 1985 called "Small Wonder", with a robot girl named Vicky. Click on hyperlink http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088610/ for further.

There also was the "Lost In Space" robot (with a "guest star" of Robbie the Robot from "Forbidden Planet", somewhere in the 3 year run), "Holmes and Yo-Yo", Hymie the Robot from "Get Smart", and at least one more lady robot as detective, who's star's name I forgot (she also played the "Witchblade" wearing lady cop.

Addendum: The missing name is Yancy Butler, played the Robot lady cop, and the wearer/wielder of the Witchblade.

Trivia question: Another Cop show with a human/robot teaming, based on Harlan Ellison's story, "Brillo." Why was the robotic cop called "Brillo?"

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know the answer to that trivia question, but believe it or not, I do remember that episode of "Get Smart" and can tell you why the robot's name was Hymie! :lol:

Yeah... I'm old. :?

OK, other than a name to call him, why was he called Hymie?

Dick Gautier played him in several episodes, both the NBC, and the final year on CBS. I'm also told that Gautier was the original Conrad Birdie on Broadway in "Bye Bye Birdie", and will put in an addendum if I find he portrayed him again in the movie version.

When the scientist who invented Hymie told Maxwell Smart his name was Hymie, Smart said, "Hymie?!?" The scientist replied indignantly, "My father's name was Hymie!"

Later, when Hymie introduced himself to the Chief, the Chief said, Hymie?!?" Hymie replied, "My father's name was Hymie!"

Then later when Hymie met a KAOS agent, the agent said, "Hymie?!?" And Smart replied, "His father's name was Hymie!"

Hymie took everything literally. Remember when Hymie and Smart were leaving a room and Smart told him to "kill the light" and Hymie pulled out a silenced pistol and shot the light out? :lol:

how about cannonball run? BJ and bear (always loved that red and white semi)? Rescue 911 when it first came on the air? Parachute pants? leg warmers? "We built this city" (great song for an aerobics workout). Challenger - was standing outside of my high school, looking to the north east when the explosion occurred. The wedding of the century... Princess Di, watched every second of that.

feeling pretty old right now...

Shannon

First runs of:

'Emergency': gotta love Station 51

'Adam 12': the good old black and white

'Ripcord': parachuting is us!

'Whirlybirds': helicopters for fun and profit

'Time Tunnel': funky but fun

'Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea': again hokey, but fun

'Combat': I know that sergeant

'The Lieutenant': Short lived but interesting

'Star Trek': the original - accept no substitutes

I remember Challenger. I was teaching a home ventilator class to a bunch of home care RN's [i'm also an RT and was working for Baxter Travenol as a home care therapist at the time]. I stepped into the room next door to the classroom to make a couple of copies of a hand out just in time to see the lift off and the explosion on the TV there. I walked back to class and told everyone we're were having a 15 minute break and told them why. Most folks didn't really grasp what had happened for a bit.

But then, I also remember being home from school sick and watching the TV when Kennedy was shot. I saw the motorcade and the whole thing happen. My formative years were... interesting.

And yes, I am that old.

'Emergency': gotta love Station 51

'Adam 12': the good old black and white

'Ripcord': parachuting is us!

'Whirlybirds': helicopters for fun and profit

'Time Tunnel': funky but fun

'Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea': again hokey, but fun

'Combat': I know that sergeant

'The Lieutenant': Short lived but interesting

'Star Trek': the original - accept no substitutes

Oooh! Nice list! :lol: I don't remember "The Lieutenant," but the others were favourites of mine. I still see "Combat!" on late night television, but I havent't seen the others in years. Although, "Quantum Leap" was very much like "Time Tunnel."

Oooh! Nice list! :lol: I don't remember "The Lieutenant," but the others were favourites of mine. I still see "Combat!" on late night television, but I havent't seen the others in years. Although, "Quantum Leap" was very much like "Time Tunnel."

"The Lieutenant" was a series created by Gene Roddenberry. JMS of Bab-5 fame wrote some of the pisodes as I remember it [looking back, that is, I didn't have a clue who he was back then].

http://www.tv.com/the-lieutenant/show/4532/summary.html

Ah, let's see, what else was around that time...

"Space:1999": kinda sad, but I liked Martin Landau

"Mission Imporrible": The original!

"I Spy": with Culp and Cosby

"Man from U.N.C.L.E": the year I fell in love with turtlenecks

"Lost in Space": Dnager, Will Robinson!

Does anyone remember "Johnny Soko and his Flying Robot" ??? It was usually on after Ultraman. And don't forget about MASH and Giligans Island. Also does anyone remember a show called "Code Red". It starred Lorne Greene, Andrew Stevens, and Adam Rich. It was on Sundays.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.