Author looking for consultant

Hello,

First let me say that I have the greatest respect for EMTs. You are the unsung heros in our lives, and you deserve better than the establishment provides for you.

Now to business!

I am an author of fictional suspense/thriller novels. To be entirely honest my first book, "The Switch and the Soul" is still a couple months from being published, but that hasn't stopped me from diving straight into the next. It's this next book that I need help with.

My main character is a Paramedic or EMT. My limited understanding is that there really isn't any difference between the two(feel free to correct me). The fact that he is an EMT isn't paramount to the story(he's got bigger problems) but it is interesting and applicable.

What I am looking for is an advisor to fill in some blanks and answer a few questions about what it's like to be an EMT. In particular, I have a chapter in mind that deals with the death of a child who was burned in her lungs and throat. Ill need to know what an EMT would do in that scenario(in great detail).

The people on this forum are the experts. I've come to you so that my work can be truthful and honest.

If you would like to help me directly, then please drop me an email so that we can get started.

If the community as a whole would like to help then we can get started on this very thread.

I pose the first question: Under what plausible circumstance might a child be burned in the lungs and throat? Have any of you had an experience like that?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, Welcome to the forum...

I am a 20 year vet, 15 as a medic, and if it matters I have the alphabet soup for instructor certs too. My email is croaker260@gmail.com. I am happy to help...

Regarding the difference between EMT and Medics, tere is a HUGE difference, but that topic has been beat to death and is a complex one. It also differs GREATLY by jurisdiction.

As for the clinical question.....Anyway, Ill take a stab....

I pose the first question: Under what plausible circumstance might a child be burned in the lungs and throat? Have any of you had an experience like that?

Well, this is clinically more complex than you would think. The throat is the "upper airway" and the lungs are the "lower airway". Any number of inhalation of flames, high temp air, etc can cause upper airway "burns". By contrast, due to laryngeospasm (spasm of the vocal cords), it is unlikely for a patient to sustain thermal burns to the lower airway (the lungs). A major exception is STEAM burns where the patient is subjected to high pressure flame, blast, or steam exposure.

Most lower airway injuries are from smoke inhalaltion (CO poisoning, etc).

I can elaborate as needed. I have had a fair share of thermal trauma over the years, I can give you several examples if needed, in a HIPAA compliant way of course.

What an EMT would do differs GREATLY on the level of the EMT (i.e. medic) and the exact cause.

BTW, the email function isnt working for your profile.

Edited by croaker260

Hello,

First let me say that I have the greatest respect for EMTs. You are the unsung heros in our lives, and you deserve better than the establishment provides for you.

Now to business!

I am an author of fictional suspense/thriller novels. To be entirely honest my first book, "The Switch and the Soul" is still a couple months from being published, but that hasn't stopped me from diving straight into the next. It's this next book that I need help with.

My main character is a Paramedic or EMT. My limited understanding is that there really isn't any difference between the two(feel free to correct me). The fact that he is an EMT isn't paramount to the story(he's got bigger problems) but it is interesting and applicable.

What I am looking for is an advisor to fill in some blanks and answer a few questions about what it's like to be an EMT. In particular, I have a chapter in mind that deals with the death of a child who was burned in her lungs and throat. Ill need to know what an EMT would do in that scenario(in great detail).

The people on this forum are the experts. I've come to you so that my work can be truthful and honest.

If you would like to help me directly, then please drop me an email so that we can get started.

If the community as a whole would like to help then we can get started on this very thread.

Count me OUT !

NO real name, therefore NO way to do OUR homework, where I reside this is called a COLD CALL.

Want to read a good book try FOB DOC ... the proceeds go to the Fallen and no fiction.

cheers

I too am not very hot to help. No offense to the OP but I've read many EMS novels and they all really were not well done.

Some are good but most are just plain drivel.

I'd be more interested in helping you if we could get an excerpt or two of your book yet to be published. That way we could see what justice you would do to our line of work.

I am currently reviewing a soon to be published book, or better yet excerpts of what you have already written on this new book, and I'd be interested in reviewing your yet to be published book also.

Edited by Ruffems

Wow-You guys are tough!

I understand the apprehension and for good reason, but this is a chance to at least offer the facts. What he does with them is out of our control.

At least the author seems to be attempting to do it right. Anyone can write anything they want, but he took the time to ask. It doesn't sound like this is a major character, or that EMS is the main focus of the story, just a character he wants to fully flesh out.

No harm, no foul IMHO, but you guys do what you want.

At least the author seems to be attempting to do it right. Anyone can write anything they want, but he took the time to ask. It doesn't sound like this is a major character, or that EMS is the main focus of the story, just a character he wants to fully flesh out.

Perhaps. But as Croaker noted the OP didn't bother to provide a valid or functioning email address. That's enough to raise the index of suspicion right there. If this were a legitimate inquiry, a full name and email address would have been published in the original post.

We get enough people in here looking for information to be used for nefarious purposes. Based on what's presented so far there is little reason to believe this individual is for real.

Skepticism, in this case, is quite appropriate.

Wow-You guys are tough!

I understand the apprehension and for good reason, but this is a chance to at least offer the facts. What he does with them is out of our control.At least the author seems to be attempting to do it right. Anyone can write anything they want, but he took the time to ask. It doesn't sound like this is a major character, or that EMS is the main focus of the story, just a character he wants to fully flesh out.

No harm, no foul IMHO, but you guys do what you want.

Can I borrow your "Bring out the Dead" or "Trauma" series, I will trade for "Mother Jugs and Speed" ?

JK ... HERBIE ... Your possibly right, but an EMT with "problems" and a Child with respiratory burns, well not looking very positive to me from the get go. Do you think the facts may scare this entity?

You know the reality we live with every day, fiction is not fact its fabrication. Come on we are the kings and queens in discerning BS at calls, I think some days I have a built in BS detector maybe this is WHY I squint ? Those ain't laugh lines !

I think your giving a lot of credit to an absolutely unknown, we will see if MR. Fiction will come back. I am of the belief that sometimes people need a kick in the ass (well it works on me) to get the true picture.

I will tell you I took a rather famous actor on a ride along one day, in a place called Jasper next thing you know the "part of calls" taken out of context and used in a TV series and was taken beyond the brink of absolute absurdity. The old saying give an inch .. take a mile is very very true.

IMHO there is way too many capitalizing on "sensationalism" and "bring disrespect" to EMS already.

I for one will call them to the mat before I support a damn thing, I learned my lesson the hard way.

cheers

I am willing to help him but I don't want to have my name associated if the novel is terrible.

I also remeber someoone coming here claiming to be an author and we gave all this help and it turned out he was not who he claimed.

I want to read some of his material and then I would make my decision to help or not.

Just keeping my name safe. Like I said, I'm already a reviewer of a novel soon to be out so I have no problems helping but I did my homework prior to my helping on the reviewing.

I have also read and reviewed another novel about a year ago that is being published this in february.

I would like to here more from this author

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

I am willing to help him but I don't want to have my name associated if the novel is terrible.

I also remeber someoone coming here claiming to be an author and we gave all this help and it turned out he was not who he claimed.

I want to read some of his material and then I would make my decision to help or not.

Just keeping my name safe. Like I said, I'm already a reviewer of a novel soon to be out so I have no problems helping but I did my homework prior to my helping on the reviewing.

I have also read and reviewed another novel about a year ago that is being published this in february.

I would like to here more from this author

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Nice ... what are your consulting fees like ?

And is the novel scary ... I like scary .

Honestly, I'm nearly speechless. The level of malice leveled at me for asking nothing more than an EMT's perspective is scary. That kind of behavior diminishes us all. I spoke from the heart with an honest request. I was respectful, yet treated unkind.

Also, I did indeed provide a valid email, as herbie1 has already proven by contacting me through it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.