How does an EMT get his first job?

brick

Im a nationally registered EMT with an EVOC certificate and have applied at a few places in Orlando and am not having much luck. does anyone know how i can get experience or get my foot in the door? Is it all about knowing the right people or persistance in applying at the same place repeatedly? What should the resume include if you dont have any patient experience? thanks -Brick

post-24318-0-52238400-1295914024_thumb.j

Although I can't speak to Orlando, my recommendation is to get patient experience by volunteering your time.

At the same time, it's all about networking. Talk to those with whom you did your ride outs. They know what you are capable of and might have some insight on openings and might even be able to put in a good word for you.

Also expand your horizons a little. Be prepared to work in a different type of patient care environment or even drive a bit to get to a job you want. (I currently drive 1.5 hours each way for my full time position.)

If your resume doesn't include patient care experience, then focus on the other things that are important to the job in which you are applying. Think along the lines of reporting, time management, inventory...what have you done in your employment history that would fit the new profession which you are seeking?

Hope this helps.

Toni

I am a new EMT also, and I have found that with no patient experience, it was hard to get a job. I don't know what your past employment history is like, but one big area that I focused on for my applications was my customer service experience. I have worked in restaurants for 5 years, so I focused in on my organizational, time management, and customer service skills that I gained through that. Another thing you could do is volunteer with your local red cross, blood source, etc. Even though with those you probably won't have direct patient contact, I have found that volunteer work with any company (especially those in medicine) help as well. The school that I did my EMT training through also asks for volunteers from previous classes to be "victims" at their courses (EMT-B class, PHTLS, AMLS, etc) so that is another good way to get experience if you have any programs in your area that look for people to help out with those types of things. You learn a lot and can put it on an application. Unfortunately, it is hard to get a job when you have no paid experience, but I have found that volunteer work is almost as good. Plus, those that you did your ride outs with would probably be useful in getting information on where to look for jobs and/or volunteer opportunities. If you made any good connections with them (or anyone you met during your training) I would highly recommend contacting them and seeing if they have any advice for you. The ones that I rode with were a huge help in job hunting and preparing me for the interview process!

Hope that helps! Good luck!

Its tough to find a job w/o experience; so how can you get experience if no one gives you a chance. Keep applying; sending out resumes; do not be selective. Be willing to work anywhere; even if you have to travel. If you desperately want to work on the Ambulance; Volunteer some of your time. Especially evenings or nights; since you have to go job hunting during the day. Many influential people Volunteer in an Ambulance Corp, in their Community. This could be an improvtou interview. Lastly, do not give up. Many of us who has been in the field, know exactly what you're going through. All the best...

Thanks for replying to my "How to get experience?" question.-Brice

Its tough to find a job w/o experience; so how can you get experience if no one gives you a chance. Keep applying; sending out resumes; do not be selective. Be willing to work anywhere; even if you have to travel. If you desperately want to work on the Ambulance; Volunteer some of your time. Especially evenings or nights; since you have to go job hunting during the day. Many influential people Volunteer in an Ambulance Corp, in their Community. This could be an improvtou interview. Lastly, do not give up. Many of us who has been in the field, know exactly what you're going through. All the best...

thanks for the reply , it helped!-B

I am a new EMT also, and I have found that with no patient experience, it was hard to get a job. I don't know what your past employment history is like, but one big area that I focused on for my applications was my customer service experience. I have worked in restaurants for 5 years, so I focused in on my organizational, time management, and customer service skills that I gained through that. Another thing you could do is volunteer with your local red cross, blood source, etc. Even though with those you probably won't have direct patient contact, I have found that volunteer work with any company (especially those in medicine) help as well. The school that I did my EMT training through also asks for volunteers from previous classes to be "victims" at their courses (EMT-B class, PHTLS, AMLS, etc) so that is another good way to get experience if you have any programs in your area that look for people to help out with those types of things. You learn a lot and can put it on an application. Unfortunately, it is hard to get a job when you have no paid experience, but I have found that volunteer work is almost as good. Plus, those that you did your ride outs with would probably be useful in getting information on where to look for jobs and/or volunteer opportunities. If you made any good connections with them (or anyone you met during your training) I would highly recommend contacting them and seeing if they have any advice for you. The ones that I rode with were a huge help in job hunting and preparing me for the interview process!

Thanks for the help, and good luck to you too!-B

Please be careful about where you volunteer, if you decide to do this.

There ARE some volly squads that have their act together, then again there are some that have no clue about patient care, and are immersed in political BS.

I do recommend visiting your local EMS council, or your state equivalent, and introducing yourself. While there, you could ask their opinion of which local EMS agencies would be good to volunteer for.

Good luck, & be careful of who you associate yourself with!

I don't think the EMS Council or the State Bureau of EMS will tell you which Volly, Municipality, or Agency are better. That's not what they do. They'll verify an Agency and give you contact info. They will address concerns you may have about a Course, Agency, or Provider you have suspicions about. They will equally check Agencies to see if they are up to par; issue penalties & fines to all who violate these Policies.

All the best...

As a new EMT it’s hard to find your first job. Even with Military experience and experience as a British EMT it took me a while to get a job. I ended up going to each Ambulance company and talked to as many hiring managers I could before one hired me. It will take some time and allot of luck to find a place that will hire you but keep at it and I’m sure you will find a job.

The best advices I can offer is too get out and talk to each Ambulance Company and EMS agency you can. Make sure you look professional and have a résumé in hand with the right certs and with some luck you will find a job. The key is to get your foot into the door with a company and start to get some experience. Once you have experience more companies will want to hire you and offer you more money.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.