US Trained Paramedic relocating to Canada

bahamedic

Hello all!

I am a US trained NR paramedic planning to relocate to Ontario Canada loking for employment in Toronto Ottawa or Peel Region. Outside of the immigration process which I have down pack, what would be the process to get Advance Care Paramedic certification? Is the process difficult? What is the salary for PCP, ACP? What are the work hours like? Whatever you can share to clarify things would be greatly appreciated.

Ahhhh! I think someone has a Canadian girlfriend!!! Taking the plunge brother?

Who else "Plans" to move and THEN asks if he can work, what kind of money it will pay, what the hours are like, etc except someone in lust? Errr..I meant love.

Good luck man..just poking a little fun at ya...

Dwayne

Hey you win that one!!lol..But no already married so that avenue is out of the window. I work in the carribean where EMS is not as developed as it is in the US and Canada and is not likely to be developed in my "EMS" life time where I live. Believe it or not as a US trained Paramedic along with other certifications, I am over qualified for the system here. So its majorly frustrating working in a system thats just a tad bit above "scoop and run".

Need to go where I can use my skills and really enjoy EMS. So seeing that its extremely difficult to get US green card dispite every last piece of certifcation and State Lic I have is from the US, Canada seems like an easier option. Pay is always important when you have a family to take care of bro.

This should help to understand the complicated equivalency process:

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/program/ehs/edu/equiv.html

The wage for a PCP will be in the low to mid $30s an hour with a few dollars more for ACPs. Shifts are typically (but not exclusively) 12 hours with some type of rotation to get 14 in a month. The exact schedule varies depending on the employer.

Not sure what your timeline is, but consider that once the equivalency process is done, the hiring process for EMS Services in Ontario is incredibly competitive.

Toronto EMS hires Paramedics once a year at the PCP level only. ACP's are sent for education from within ranks only and currently Toronto is over staffed on ACP's thanks to their new deployment plan. Toronto conducts hiring through a centralized testing process and that window is closed until next year.

Peel Region hires through the same centralized process, though I believe they may do some of their own competitions as well.

Durham Region hires through centralized as well as their own hiring. They have significant preference for those who attended school or precepted in the Region.

York Region has been hiring multiple times in a year for the last two years. The largest hire of the year is currently going on but there may be some smaller hires later in the year.

Ottawa hires through the Eastern Ontario centralized testing process. To the best of my knowledge this is only done once a year and that window is now closed until 2012.

It takes courage to start a new life in another area. All the best.

Some of us are stuck at where they're at. Sometimes its not just about the job. My job is great but my mortgage is underwater. I have an investment condo also underwater. All in NY; thanks upper class ppl who with greed as made the American Dream a bust... Good luck...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.