Winds and ambulances

rdelisle

Hi all. I'm doing a little research on the effects of High winds on ambulances and I was wondering if anybody knew of any policies/procedures regarding maximum wind speeds that a non-emergency ambulance should be allowed to drive in. I'm looking at routine transfers on open highways with a speed limit of 100 km/hr specifically as I realize that operating in town is a different story. The reason why I ask, is we travel through an area that is known for wind gusts of 110 - 180 km/hr on occasion.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Edited by rdelisle

This may or may not help, but...

Here in New York City, when we have high winds, the bridges run by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority-Bridges and Tunnels, lower the speed limits on their bridges. Bridges run by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey might restrict larger vehicles from either the upper or lower levels of their bridges, and post restricted or lowered speed limits. They also might say "No Go" to car pulled trailers, and certain other "Tractor and Box" ("18 Wheeler") truck configurations.

Sometimes, the announcers on TV and Radio will mention the high winds, and simply tell any and all drivers listening to just slow down and drive more cautiously.

FYI, within NYC, the speed limit is max 30 MPH (don't recall the KPH equivalent) except where otherwise posted, either higher or lower. NO roadway within NYC has a posted speed over 50 MPH.

In any inclement weather, dispatchers on NYPD and NYC 9-1-1 system EMS frequencies make routine announcements to all, to drive defensively, and with due regard to the weather condition.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.