What kind of boots should i get?

So i start school on the 31st for EMT-B.... I need boots for school, so i went boot shopping and you can get a pair anywhere from $50-200... I know i dont need anything wonderful for school however, i dont want to spend money on boots now then turn around and buy boots again after school is done that will just cost more money in the long run. So i am trying to figure out a good pair of boots i can use for school then out in the field... What does everyone recommend? Also zip up or non-zip? Slip no slip so on... Thanks everyone :)

So i start school on the 31st for EMT-B.... I need boots for school, so i went boot shopping and you can get a pair anywhere from $50-200... I know i dont need anything wonderful for school however, i dont want to spend money on boots now then turn around and buy boots again after school is done that will just cost more money in the long run. So i am trying to figure out a good pair of boots i can use for school then out in the field... What does everyone recommend? Also zip up or non-zip? Slip no slip so on... Thanks everyone :)

Have you asked your upcoming instructor or program if they have a requirement?

Many want polishable boots that are bloodborne pathogen resistant (You want them that way also!). There are some that are reasonably priced that do this. I wear 5.11 ATAC Storm boots. They run about $100/pair. Are they my boot of choice? No. But they work for me. They are waterproof almost to the top, side-zip, polishable, and decent. My boot of choice is either Redbacks or Magnums, but both are a bit outside my price range right now. Avoid the Walmart boots. They fall apart.

You want something you can work in. If your feet are killing you at the end of the day because of a crappy boot, then it isn't worth it.

Dang it..I misread it to say boobs...I thought that you were going to give US options!

I love Redwings. Do you know if you have to have them polished? Even if you don't your employer will so you might as well get a good pair now. A really good pair, mine are around 15 years old, will run around $200 or so.

I will never again wear a pair of boots that don't zip in EMS if I can help it. Non slip is a must, but a deep tread will track mud all over peoples houses, the hospital, your quarters, so something medium would be good.

If you can't find zip up boots that you like talk to your Redwing dealer and he can sell you a zipper that will lace onto the front of your boots. Not as good as side zippers, but not bad either.

Good luck!

Dwayne

I got myself a pair of Herman Survivors boots at Wal-Mart at the start of my EMT-B class back in 2007 and have been wearing them ever since. They're starting to get a little bit of wear and tear, but for fifty bucks it was a great investment.

Make sure they fit well too.

I can't tell you how many partners I've had who have had their boots either too big or too small and they were miserable.

Apart from your stethoscope and that video laryngoscope you will purchase, boots will probably be the biggest single money investment in your career also apart from school.

The boots could even be more than your stethoscope. I paid 159 for my pair and they still look damn good after a week of use ha ha.

Get a pair that fits and you will be happy.

LOL we recently had this same discussion with the new members of my squad.

From experience here is what I would recomend.

First, this will be one of the single biggest expenses you will incure during your carrier, outside school. The money spent now will pay off in the long run. Quality has many benifits. Instead of buying numerous pairs on good pair will last a long long time.

Second try them on! Go to a reputable store and have your foot measured both length AND width. Try both feet on. Walk around, climb stairs (benches work too), kneel, get on your knees with your toes bend, ect. Work them out. If in the store they feel uncomfortable or pinch ect. Try another pair. No sense in saying oh they will break in and for a week or so have aching feet that will make the learning experience miserable.

Third. Get the side zips! They make your life so much better. You lace them up as tight as you want then release the zipper and let the feet breath. Or you can remove them and get them back on in a hurry too. Just zip them up and bam nice tight, supportive boots again.

Fourth. Get the side zips! LOL sorry just had too hehehe

Get a pair that are blood born pathogen resistant. No sense standing if fluids and having your feet get all nasty. Waterproof(resistant) is not the same as BBP resistant. Several manufacturers specify that they are BBP resistant.

Non slip is great to have. As Dwayne said no need for super deep treads that will just track crud everywhere. Get a pair that will give you the confidence to walk on wet surfaces backwards with a patient. Notice I didnt say would let you slip. Its the confidence that is necessary here. I had a pair that said anti slip and everytime I was on stairs in the rain I was a nervous wreck, had no confidence in the boot because it "felt" like they would slip. You need the confience in the footware that will allow you to concintrate on patient care on moving.

Personel preference here. I like composite toes, not steel toes. The composite toe is less likely to amputate a phlange if soemthing of weight drops on them. The composite is more likely to dispurse the weight and shatter then deform and slice. The reason I mention the reenforced toe is because I have had a D-tank drop onto mine one time with and one time without protection. After walking around in a walking cast for awhile I realized the reenforced toe is worth iots weight in gold. But like I said, its a personal preference, others may not agree and thats fine too.

Polish or not polished again is up to the employer or in this case school. Most boots that I have come across can be polished to a degree. Yes I know there are kinds that can not be so take that into concideration as well. Find out ahead of time what you will be required to have. No need to purchase boots and have to return or buy another pair because of a polishing issue.

When it comes to height I feel its better to have a taller boot because of the ankle support. But it is a personal preference here again. Some like 6" boots others the 9". Its what feels comfortable on you that matters. I use the taller boot due to my rural setting and quite often working in the woods or uneven terrain so the added ankle support helps me. I have less of a chance of rolling my ankle I feel.

As far as brands go, there are several that are at the forefront of what most EMS wears. I can't speak for everyone but some are better then others in my opinion. 5.11, Redwing, Magnum are the three top in my opinion. Not in any specific order though. These companies seem to listen to feedback from personel in the field and incorporate the design changes into their brands.

Hopefully these few tips, and the tips from others will help steer you in the direction of a great boot that will work for you, be comfortable, and of course last.

i got a pair of jungle boots online for 29 bucks after shipping on combatboots.com , they are modeled after the ones US troops wore in vietnam, i havent used them much since they don't come with soles but they look nice and they are cheap.

Edited by ColinW

I've been wearing Converse 8" Tac side zip boots for years and love them. The most comfortable boots I've worn from day one and great for long shifts on my feet (I worked as a floor tech for almost a year and wore them everyday). They usually last around 2-2.5 years a pair.