Is this really what I have to look forward to?

emsgirl911

To start off, yes, I really enjoy my involvement in the EMS system. Yes, I plan on going to go to college for an EMS career in spite of what I am about to say, and yes, I am aware that life may be hard as a result of working EMS.

However, it seems that people who have been in the system for a while really like to complain about the hardships of the EMS lifestyle (but thats not to say there arent any seasoned people who dont like to encourage the younger generations of EMS to do well and what not.) Because of this, I am NOT looking forward to what is the potential rest of my life. When I read a thread that asks for guidance or advice by way of joining EMS, I more often than not find at least two or three "old timers" are arguing about how rewarding EMS is or how much it sucks and why people my age shouldnt set their sights low. Sure, burnout is bound to happen - honestly I myself am in a state of burnout with my job right now. Financial difficulties will also eventually happen, and most of us will end up working crazily huge amounts of hours in a week because of that. I also know about other common complaints about the job that Im not going to bother listing because we all know them. Is EMS going to do this to all of us? I hope not, because thats not the kind of person I want to become. I dont want my job to turn me into a total killjoy for those who actually are hopeful to "make it" in this field.

And no, EMS is not about being a hero in any way. Even though Im still considered an EMS hopeful, that doesnt mean I have all of those wackerish misconceptions.

No matter what people tell me, I will more than likely stand by my decision to stay in EMS (that will only be changed by the coming of the zombie apocalypse or other event similar in nature) I guess what Im saying is that this is what I really want to do, and Ive heard the all too common arguments about the subject, and therefore do not want all responses to be those same arguments. And I dont want to be "that person"

What I am writing may not make much sense, as I am writing out of pure frustration. Thanks in advance for listening to my ramble...

Stay safe -emsgirl911

I think you would be hard pressed to find ANY profession, or really, any public sector employment that does not have disgruntled "old timers". The reality is, as the thrill of the job wears off over time, the complaining starts.

I don't think EMS is special in that 2 out of 3 long term employees whine. I think that is everywhere.

As your in the states and its alittle different than canada, I think when the old timers talk about setting goals low, they mean that if your going to be a paramedic you should go for the highest level and dive right in. This is true to some degree (my opinion)in my case I am not interested in getting a higher level as I would not be able to use the skills on a regular basis (ok slam me here old timers)and it wouldn't help my community any more. When old timers talk about the crappy side of EMS it is to make people realize that it isnt the same as what TV protray's it as. There are alot of missconceptions of the medical fields because of the media and tv.

I have been doing this for 15 yrs and I can say that alot of my calls have a great outcome, but it is those that are horrible that will bring you down. Personally I had the worst call of my Career just a week ago, I hate to say there are alot of worst calls as you go in your career. Its not that the old timers are trying to discourage future EMS they are trying to make sure as much as you can on the internet that you are making the right decission. This career has many +'s but the -'s do out weigh them. If your going to a person who want's advice from the old timers you will have to learn how to filter what they say to you as most of them have no filters.

hope this helps

• Like 1

Well your right to feel the way you do. People can be cruel and so negative. Am I an old timer? I don't know; I've been an EMT since 95 and a Paramedic since 98; I guess I'm getting there.

To give you some words of encouragement; I never graduated from HS; I wasn't doing much of anything at 19. It was through positive peer pressure; that I took the EMT course with my friends. I got my GED before the class. I loved it; it was new and exciting. I worked in the Privates and Volunteered as an EMT. I loved it so much; I knew I wanted to do more for the patients. So I took the Paramedic Course. It was the best thing I did. It built self esteem, it got me out of debt, and despite my family members having degrees; my career path had made me money and it was interesting to others. I was the first one in my class to get a position at 911; which was pristine in NYC. In addition, I became a Manager of an EMS Dept in a Hospital. Now I'm a Manager at a Private Ambulance. I just got my AAS in Paramedics in 2008 and I'm getting my ASN in late 2011. I guess I can say I was the most successful in my family.

So what I'm saying is; it can be done. A degree must be obtained if you want to progress up the ladder but experience will assist in this. So do your thing and don't let anyone discourage your dreams. Its our nature to hate. Good luck...

Plus, I'll get my RN but my current position pays more than what an RN makes but I'll get some Part-Time RN gig and have the Hospital pay for my BSN. Now that's the spirit to have. Goal oriented and directed...

Thanks for the input. Im having issues seeing the positive in a lot of things lately :mad:...

And yeah, negativity towards work happens... a lot. I know.

No offense meant by the use of the term "old timers" ... as a result of exhaustion I seemingly lack the ability to choose my words.

Mobey: Yeah, I hear ya... even at my part time job now, that is 80% of lunchroom conversation. It does nothing to make your outlook towards your job any better, but having someone to bitch about it to is kinda nice...

Happiness: Im hoping to go to college for EMS Management. I can get my medic at the same time as part of the program along with a few extras like BLS Instructor. People who go through this program could probably work for FEMA or in some other position for "the man." But despite this I am continuing to get slammed for wanting to be part of the EMS system at all. And yes, the bad days will come. Ive already had a really suckish day out on the rig. I had my first patient die in my bus a few weeks ago. Was I traumatized by it at all? No. But that doesnt mean it didnt kinda suck. And I agree, the media is HORRIBLE for creating impressions about EMS... take that indescribably awful NBC show Trauma. Nuff said.

NYCEMS9115: To hear stories like yours are a welcome relief from what the educational system of this country beats into you. Supposedly, if you drop out of high school or dont finish for some other reason, youre pretty much effed for life, whether you get a GED or not. I also got involved in the system by peer pressure (and Im glad I did.) I have a friend who recently moved back to "Canada" as his FDNY friends call our area (because afterall, we do almost live in Canada up here) and from what he tells me, 911 over in the NYC is a fairly hard job to land. So thats awesome :) Good luck with your BSN.

Stay safe out there -emsgirl911

to emsgirl911,

Dont let the old timers get you down but at the same time take into account what they are saying. I kind of got peer pressured into this business as well since most of my friends are either in the army or are firefighters, i was basicly the only one not doing some kind of public service. I had to look and look for a class finally i found one. Its not though a college but a emt licence is plenty good enough to find work where I am. Ive been told about the bad, shitty pay, long hours, burnout, hell a paramedic who was supposed to help teach my class stabbed himself to death on saturday, all of that is sobbering but its doesnt discourage me one bit. Im glad your going to stick it out despite the naysayers. Just keep on keeping on :thumbsup:

To tell the truth, I can't think of a single time that I've seen anyone shoot down a young person for being involved in EMS. Not here, nor in my professional career unless they were asking for advice.

I have often heard advice that a person asking for opinions didn't want to hear, but in my opinion it's most often been sound advice. You say, "I know I'll have to work a million hours to try and support the family I will never see. I know that I will have financial difficulties. I know that I will likely burn out." How, if we care about your our your life at all, are we supposed to encourage you down that path? Is it honesty that you want when you ask for opinions or a bunch of fantasy rah rah bullshit?

A kid once came into the EMS room where a bunch of us were doing paperwork. He was doing his Basic ride along and the medic he was riding with said, "Go ahead and ask your question here." He said, "I'm trying to decided if I want to become a paramedic first, or get my nursing degree first..." In unison we all said, "Nursing!" Because we're all burned out an negative? No, because it's good advice. We all laughed and explained why, if he was set on doing both, nursing first made the most sense.

Now, you and I are certainly on the same page as far as hanging out with EMSers. I cherish my assignment right now because I get to live in a little FEMA trailer in a marina and I don't have to spend my nights in a big house full of medics. Bitching, complaining, pissing and moaning is the order of the day. For me, it doesn't matter much because I simply refuse to allow myself to be exposed to all of that negative energy. When it happens, I leave. I don't know if it's right or wrong, good or bad in general, I just know that the negative talk is wrong and bad for me.

Make your decisions babe. Do what you want to do, but you certainly should not develop a habit of thanking and cherishing those that will support you and cheer you on even as they are watching you drive off into the ditch.

Do I love being a paramedic? I absolutely do, and even more so the opportunities it's given me to travel and do cool stuff. Was it a great career choice? Was my investment of time in education well reimbursed when compared to other career choices? Of course not. There are people on this project with a 30hr OSHA certificates that make 3x as much as I do. Good advice is good advice whether you want to hear it or not.

Dwayne

Edited to remove a bunch of duplicate words that seemed to have sprung up like weeds...No contextual changes made.

Edited by DwayneEMTP

As an aside...you really do seem to be having a hard time seeing the positive in things.

"80% of the lunchroom conversation is negative."

"If you don't graduate high school people say you're fucked for life."

"No one wants to support me in my quest to become a paramedic."

Who in the hell are you hanging around with? Why are you still hanging around with them? Run away!!

When you are being abused by so much negativity in your life girl, it think it may be time to take a gut check and make sure it's not your attitude that is sucking and coloring everything around you.

Opinion truly meant in support of our up and coming paramedic chick. :-)

Dwayne

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.