Below passing

I need some opinions, please.

My stepdaughter has taken the NREMT basic twice now and both times she failed all categories with "below passing" grades. On her first exam try, she procrastinated and didn't take the test for 6 months after she completed her school, the second time there were delays with the application process. Now she only has until the first week in May or else she has to take the course all over again since it has been a year.

I just have a couple of questions...

Does it seem like she is not cut out for this??

and

If so, do you think she will have enough time to pass the exam before May?

Thank you :)

As they say, third times the charm. But if she doesn't pass the third time, I'd say that it's just not meant to be. As for her being ready to take it again, there are some great prep courses online that have NREMT style questions that you answer in the same manner as the national test. The first time I took my state exam (I was 17 when I took my certification test so I wasn't able to test for NREMT) I had a few below passing marks as well but I figured out it was because I was psyching myself out with the computerized testing process. By using the online prep courses, I got over the anxiety of the computerized process and was able to pass. My advice is to look into the prep courses and to relax when she goes in for her test.

Best of luck to her.

thumbsup.gif

I just have a couple of questions...

Does it seem like she is not cut out for this??

If so, do you think she will have enough time to pass the exam before May?

The term procrastination used, failed "all" categories x 2 are very disconcerting just to start with. I understand you as a caring stepmother wanting the best for your daughter BUT a counter question must be posed.

1- Would you wish for any EMT to care for You or a Family Member that failed the basic exams x 2 ?

This is not flipping burgers or doing someone's hair, by the way Hair Stylist Programs are in many places more extensive and longer didactic training than a EMT -B program ... scary eh ?

2- If one is motivated one would not have failed a second time. Is there enough time from mid January to May to study, know the material cold and do a work experience rides, this almost is 5 months ! I think this gal needs to revaluate her motives.

Can this EMT qualification be accomplished, well as stated by the prior poster who adapted, persevered, and overcame, and that is the individual that I would want to treat me ... just saying.

cheers

Edited by tniuqs

There are a lot of great study tools out there that she should look into. There is a text book by Prentice Hall Publishing called Prehospital Emergency Medical Care (I have seen it at the local borders/barnes and nobel) that has a work book that covers each section on the NREMT individually and proved to be great help to me when going through school and studying for the exam. Also, there are a lot of online study tools as well. I used id44.com and it has a bunch of scenario questions that were really helpful as well...But if she is really struggling, there are usually some classes that she can take to help prepare her for the exam. The school I went to did national registry prep courses, and I have seen them at many public schools as well, so you guys may want to look into signing up for one of those.

Good luck to her!

• Like 1

There are a lot of great study tools out there that she should look into. There is a text book by Prentice Hall Publishing called Prehospital Emergency Medical Care (I have seen it at the local borders/barnes and nobel) that has a work book that covers each section on the NREMT individually and proved to be great help to me when going through school and studying for the exam. Also, there are a lot of online study tools as well. I used id44.com and it has a bunch of scenario questions that were really helpful as well...But if she is really struggling, there are usually some classes that she can take to help prepare her for the exam. The school I went to did national registry prep courses, and I have seen them at many public schools as well, so you guys may want to look into signing up for one of those.

Good luck to her!

I do not think the OP is asking for advice on how to study, although most helpful information to other student members of EMT City.

She is asking for opinion on the information she provided.

Bluntness here

If you fail all the sections of the national registry test TWICE then maybe taking the EMT Class again is a good idea.

Failing the entire national registry test, which is what she did should be looked at and the need to take the entire EMT Class again.

I can't say for certain that the OP's step daughter needs to re-evaluate her career plans but maybe she should.

I do hope the OP's step daughter does find her way though.

Bluntness here

If you fail all the sections of the national registry test TWICE then maybe taking the EMT Class again is a good idea.

Failing the entire national registry test, which is what she did should be looked at and the need to take the entire EMT Class again.

I can't say for certain that the OP's step daughter needs to re-evaluate her career plans but maybe she should.

I do hope the OP's step daughter does find her way though.

It's funny to see this Ruff. My cousin failled the Registry twice as well granted she did not fail all categories, when she did she came to me and said what should I do? I said first of all you should consider retaking the class. It is no shame on you it just means you need to have the knowledge reinforced. The second thing I did for her was...and I know this is going to sound strange coming from me to those of you who know me....I recommended that she join the city. It is one of the best websites out here to tap the knowledge of many skilled providers. You sometimes have to wade through the junk but it is still well worth it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.