DOT Permit

lilabean

I have begun looking for EMT- B jobs and I think I have all my ducks in a row but one of the companies I applied for requires you to have your LA county DOT permit, I've been searching online and for the life of me cannot figure out what this is, any know?

Thanks.

Here you go liliabean.....

Ambulance Driver Certificate

What do I need to drive an ambulance?

If you wish to drive an ambulance used commercially in emergency service

(Vehicle Code Section 2512), you may apply at any DMV office for an Ambulance

Driver certificate. You may also purchase an 'Ambulance Driver Handbook' for $5.

The following requirements must be met to apply for an Ambulance Driver certificate:

• Be at least 18 years of age.
  • Hold a valid California driver license that is not on departmental probation.
  • Pay an application fee
    • $25 for an original certificate.
    • $12 for a renewal, duplicate, or name change.

[*]Pass an Ambulance Driver written examination.[*]Submit a completed request for Live Scan Service form (DMV 8016 [bCII 8016]). See Live Scan Fingerprints below for more information.[*]Submit either a: (not required if you have a valid medical report already on file with DMV).

• Medical Examination Report (DL 51), or
    • Acceptable Federal Aviation Administration or Department of Transportation medical form.
      Effective October 1, 2004, DMV will accept only a Medical Examination Report (DL 51) with a revision date of 2/2004 or later, or a current medical form (containing the new blood pressure guidelines) approved by the Federal Highway Administration or the Federal Aviation Administration.

Additional Requirements

When renewing your Ambulance Driver certificate you must possess a valid Emergency Medical Technician I (EMT-1) certificate.

The EMT-1 certificate is not required if you are a California licensed physician, registered nurse, emergency care physician assistant, or a paramedic certified by a County Health Officer.

If you are a volunteer ambulance driver, you may be exempt from holding an EMT-1 certificate if the following requirements are met:

• The ambulance service is provided in an unincorporated area of a county with a population of less than 125, 000 people.
  • You (the driver) provide a letter on County Board of Supervisors letterhead identifying the name of the volunteer ambulance service.
  • You (the driver) provide a letter on letterhead from one of the following who identifies you by name and the name of the volunteer ambulance service:
    • County Health Office
    • County Medical Care Committee
    • Local emergency medical services agency coordinator

Live Scan Fingerprints

Live Scan fingerprints are required for an Ambulance Driver certificate. A list of Live Scan sites is available from the California Department of Justice/Office of the Attorney General website at ag.ca.gov/fingerprints/publications/contact.htm.

Action(s) Against An Ambulance Driver Certificate

DMV may refuse, revoke, or suspend the Ambulance Driver certificate of any person

who gives any cause, before or after issuance of the certificate, for discretionary refusal of certification (Vehicle Code Section 13372). If there is an immediate risk to safety due to a physical or mental condition, an action under Vehicle Code Section 13953 may be taken.

The department may refuse, revoke, or suspend an Ambulance Driver certificate under the following conditions:

Felony Conviction: The driver has been convicted during the preceding seven years of any offense punishable as a felony or has been convicted during that period of any theft (Vehicle Code Section 13372[1]).

Moral Turpitude: The driver has committed any act involving moral turpitude, including fraud or intentional dishonesty for personal gain, within the preceding seven years (Vehicle Code Section 13372[2]).

Use of Alcohol: The driver habitually and excessively uses intoxicating beverages

(Vehicle Code Section 13372[3]).

Drugs: The driver has been convicted within the preceding seven years of any offense relative to the use, sale, possession, or transportation of narcotics or addictive or dangerous drugs, or of any misdemeanor involving force, violence, threat, or intimidation (Vehicle Code Section 13372[4]).

On Probation: The driver is on probation to the department for a cause involving the unsafe operation of a motor vehicle (Vehicle Code Section 13372[5]).

Sanction for Unsafe Driving: Within the three years immediately preceding the application, the driver has had his/her driver's license suspended or revoked by the department for a cause involving the unsafe operation of a motor vehicle, or, within the same period, has been convicted of any of the following: (Vehicle Code Section 13372 [6]).

• Failing to stop and render aid in an accident involving injury or death.
  • Driving under the influence of intoxicating liquor, any drug, or under the
    combined influence of intoxicating liquor and any drug.
  • Reckless driving, or reckless driving involving bodily injury.

Fraudulent Application: The driver has knowingly falsified or failed to disclose a material fact in his/her application. An applicant refused certification under this provision shall not be issued an Ambulance Driver certificate within 12 months of the refusal

(Vehicle Code Section 13372 [7]).

Accident(s): The driver has been involved as a driver in any motor vehicle accident causing death or bodily injury or in three or more motor vehicle accidents during the preceding one year period (Vehicle Code Section 13372 [8]).

Medical: The certificate may be refused, suspended or revoked if the driver does not meet the minimum medical standards established by the department in Article 2.1, Sections 28.18 and 28.19, of Title 13, 'California Code of Regulations' (Vehicle Code Section 13372 [9]).

Irrational Behavior: The driver has demonstrated irrational behavior or incurred a physical disability to the extent that a reasonable and prudent person would have reasonable cause to believe that the ability to perform the duties normally expected of an ambulance driver may be impaired (Vehicle Code Section 13372 [10]).

Code Violation: The driver has violated any provision of the Vehicle Code or any regulation adopted by the Commissioner of the California Highway Patrol relating to the operation of emergency ambulances during the preceding one-year period (Vehicle Code Section 13372 [11]).

Employment Dismissal: The driver has committed any act that warrants dismissal, as provided in Vehicle Code Section 13373 (Vehicle Code Section 13372 [12]).

Reapplication

Under Vehicle Code Section 13372(B), reapplication depends on the time period indicated by each of the above subdivisions. Some time periods are indefinite.

Example: Reapplication under Vehicle Code Section 13372(B)(9) or 13372(B)(10) depends on the applicant meeting the medical standards or removal of the cause for irrational behavior or physical disability.

this can be found here

Edited by UGLyEMT

Thats great ugly but that is the State one. The one that the OP is looking for is a DOT permit Specific to LA City not the State. OP While LA County doesn't have a DOT Requirment. LA City does. That card is so that you can pick up patients in the City of Los Angeles and that is all it is for basically it is a way for the city to make a few more bucks but if you don't have that card you could have a hefty fine on your hands if you are ever pulled over in the city of LA. Also if you work for one of the mom and pop IFT companies then you need to make sure that all of the rigs have the LA City Permit sticker in the window.

Now as for some information for it let me see what I can find. I am not able to find anything other than a phone number for them which you can probably call to find out how to apply and receive it.

Los Angeles City Department of Transportation Franchise Regulation Division

100 s. Main Street, Los Angeles, CA, 90012

Tel: (213) 580-1272

Fax: (213) 580-1281

Actually it is not a LA County permit it is a LA City permit, once you get hired with a company they will give you a sign off sheet to take with you to the LA City DOT. You will be with a unch of taxi drivers same agency that regulates them. Have any questions just message me. Good Luck.

Sorry about that. When I read LA County I didn't realize City was what was looked for. You folks in Cali have so many jurisdictions its painful LOL

lilibean if I moved you in the wrong direction, I am sorry for that.

Sorry about that. When I read LA County I didn't realize City was what was looked for. You folks in Cali have so many jurisdictions its painful LOL

lilibean if I moved you in the wrong direction, I am sorry for that.

That is a requirement as well that the OP may not have known about however, I know for a fact that the information you just posted was not as easy to find when I first got my state endorsement 3 years ago ugly so perhaps that information will help someone else in the future.

Want to go nuts? New York County is one of the five counties comprising New York City, which is, in turn, a part of New York State.

I also mention that there is a West New York, New Jersey!

Want to go nuts? New York County is one of the five counties comprising New York City, which is, in turn, a part of New York State.

I also mention that there is a West New York, New Jersey!

Man you can keep that Richard I thought LACo was bad.