Louisville / Metro EMS

Hey ya'll,

Long time no see eh? Did you miss me? I was just wondering if anyone could quite possibly help me get more information on Louisville/Metro. I've looked at their site, wiki page, etc. I have much of a pretty good idea, but one thing that I cannot find anywhere is their protocols. I heard that they were majority of online protocols and I really hope that's not the case. I'm looking to move to the Lawrenceberg / Lexington area this year. I'm a a non-fire degreed Paramedic with 5 yrs experienced with RSI etc. coming from a county that has the most advanced progressive protocols in the entire country. I just feel at this point I'm stuck in my current position without the ability to promote without going back to school without at least another 2-4 yrs. Which is something I really don't want to do. I'm planning on working two part-time gigs for Anderson County and hopefully Air Methods as a flight medic on top of working for Louisville. If anyone could shed some light on them, from a road crew perspective, I would really appreciate it!!

Hey ya'll,

Long time no see eh? Did you miss me? I was just wondering if anyone could quite possibly help me get more information on Louisville/Metro. I've looked at their site, wiki page, etc. I have much of a pretty good idea, but one thing that I cannot find anywhere is their protocols. I heard that they were majority of online protocols and I really hope that's not the case. I'm looking to move to the Lawrenceberg / Lexington area this year. I'm a a non-fire degreed Paramedic with 5 yrs experienced with RSI etc. coming from a county that has the most advanced progressive protocols in the entire country. I just feel at this point I'm stuck in my current position without the ability to promote without going back to school without at least another 2-4 yrs. Which is something I really don't want to do. I'm planning on working two part-time gigs for Anderson County and hopefully Air Methods as a flight medic on top of working for Louisville. If anyone could shed some light on them, from a road crew perspective, I would really appreciate it!!

Your hitting my old stoming grounds, though I never worked for the old LFR, or prior to that the Jefferson County EMS.. LMEMS has had a long and somehwat troubled employee relation history starting with the (reportedly) advisarial takaeover by Louisville Fire and Rescue, then the forced merger back into a Metro 3rd service EMS. That said, many great things have been done there.

The best way to find CURRENT information on LMEMS good and bad is to hit up the KY EMS COnnection Forum www.hultgren.org

I would add that if you are expecting RSI, etc, your not gonna find it there, but Georgetown-Scott EMS instead.

Also, if you are feelng pinned in after only 5 years...I RESPECTFULLY suggest that you give it some time. If you feel that way after 7-10 years, then consider a move. 5 years is nothing in this job. Just MHO without knowing your exact situation.

Also, if you want another gig, that has vents, RSI, etc....

My service is hiring www.adaparamedics.org. Apply now though, the deadline is approaching.

Edited by croaker260

There is more to it then just feeling pinned. But its kinda hard to put into words. RSI isn't all that important to me although it does come in handy. Thank you for the website ill have to look through it. I don't have many friends neither does my wife

We were up there for a week with a few friends that we have known for a while. And absoultely loved it. So hence why the move.

I wouldn't worry as much about the protocols for LMEMS as the morale. Those guys are terrifically unhappy. They're still bent over the merger, and several of the JCEMS guys have since moved on. Last I heard they had ridiculous overtime, super high call volume, and more burnt out medics than several large services combined. Not to mention, they didn't seem real jazzed up about the director that came in a few years ago under a cloud of 9/11 pomp and very little circumstance.

You could look at Oldham County, Georgetown-Scott, or Shelby County EMS. They're all around better services. Once upon a time there was a great website for Kentucky EMS... www.hultgren.org, but I don't think it's getting as much traffic as it did a few years ago.

Personally, I think a job is what YOU make it. LMEMS gets a lot of bad internal press, but so has every other EMS service I've ever worked for. To be honest, I've been pretty happy in all my services regardless of how the other medics felt. There was even complaining and whining in the ranks of one of the service I worked for that had incredible clean, nearly new ambulances, moderate call volume, RSI, 60-odd drugs in the toy box, surgical crics, and a host of other fun toys along with a butt-load of continuing education every month. The place had real low turn around, but you would have never known that to listen to them complain.

You have two choices when you go to work: you can be happy, enjoy your job and your day or you can be miserable, hate your job and alienate everyone you come in contact with.

• 1 month later...

I'm a medic at LMEMS. Personally, I love it here. I've been with the service for 5 years now. We've had our ups and downs. As to be expected with any EMS service. We have to call for narcotics and some other drugs. With that being said. You are free to treat your patients for the most part. We are on the way to getting expanded protocols, at least they are in the works. We are a very busy service. Over 15,000 runs for the year thus far. In this service you get to see a little bit of everything. Medical, Trauma, BS...it's all part of the game. If you would like anymore information or if I can answer any questions for you just leave me a message and I'd be happy to speak with you.

DirteMedic

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I will send you a PM as soon as I get done writing this. I'm used to 100k+ per year call volume, I used to working 36-48 shifts (my schedule is 24 on 48 off) with no sleep and I'm used to getting mandated every few weeks. I really do enjoy the agency that I work for (because of the freedom to practice here). But, I want to be more involved within my agency then just clocking in and clocking out everyday. The feeling of being "stuck" is not because of lack of promotional tree, but lack there of having the ability to be involved in pretty much anything besides running my ass non-stop (last shift I ran 20 calls in 24 hrs with a whopping total of 22 min spent in station), its getting to be really a pain in the ass. Administration is a closed group of good ole boys which isn't going to be changing anytime soon. Oh and croaker, working the system I'm in, with as much OT as I pull, (sometimes by choice but not all the time) there was a study done, that the equivalent of 3-5 yrs work here was the equivalent of close to 8-10 at any other comparable agency. And no I don't want a cookie. LOL

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.