" running through traffic between 21st and broad"

Dude

KNDOUG: Since you apparently have a problem with my expectation of intelligence and compassion for members of the profession I've been part of since 1971, Why do you feel it's not appropriate for me to relegate him to the senior level of burger flipper, that being the fry manager?

A fry manager must have the knowledge and skills to be able to safely open a bag of frozen potatoes and pour them into a basket, all while not sticking his hands in the hot oil. Then they must have a degree in salting, not too much or too little. it's a highly skilled profession

If the OP Behaves this way on an anonymous web forum, imagine what type of prehospital emergency medical caregiver he will be.

I don't think we need punks , dudes or whackers to represent our profession.

The balls in your court!

• Like 2

KNDOUG: Since you apparently have a problem with my expectation of intelligence and compassion for members of the profession I've been part of since 1971, Why do you feel it's not appropriate for me to relegate him to the senior level of burger flipper, that being the fry manager?

A fry manager must have the knowledge and skills to be able to safely open a bag of frozen potatoes and pour them into a basket, all while not sticking his hands in the hot oil. Then they must have a degree in salting, not too much or too little. it's a highly skilled profession

If the OP Behaves this way on an anonymous web forum, imagine what type of prehospital emergency medical caregiver he will be.

I don't think we need punks , dudes or whackers to represent our profession.

The balls in your court!

I never said that I have a problem with your expectation of intelligence and compassion for the members of the profession. If you read what I said, I stated that I have a problem with the way you are going about it. You are being very rude and unprofessional. You are being rude about the fry cook profession, and I just feel that there is no reason to speak poorly of another profession just because it is not what you have chosen for yourself...and seriously, this is not the place for arguments. I am not going to sit here and defend what I said about how people here are going about trying to change what the OP said. If you want to change the way people look at EMS, take a look first at the way you are representing it. I don't think that by attacking people, you will gain the respect that you are looking for. You said that if the OP behaves this way on an anonymous web forum, imagine what type of prehospital emergency medical caregiver he will be, but the same could be said for the way you are acting. You are sitting here attacking people, so what could that say about you to someone who doesn't know you? I wasn't trying to anger you or anyone else, all I am saying is that by attacking others, what does that say about us? what does this show about how we give care? Had I not met some amazingly sweet people during my training, and had this been the first place I encountered any EMS employees, I would honestly say that I would be affraid to be working in EMS based on how rude the comments I have read in this thread are.

Try actually mentoring someone who has said something that as a community we see unprofessional and uncalled for. Give them some words of wisdom...you say you have been in this business for a long time and I'm sure that you have said something at one time or another that has offended someone. What did they tell you when that happened? Try giving the OP (or anyone for that matter) some advice on the do's and don'ts of EMS and how to better him/herself, instead of just attacking. Spread the wisdom that I'm sure you have gained from your experiences, not the anger you may harvest towards something that was said. How are the new people supposed to learn if everytime they do something wrong, they get yelled at? Thos with more experience should be sharing what they know and making EMS a better place is all I was saying. There is no reason to frown upon a profession that someone else has chosen for themselves, even if we think that it is not a satisfactory job. There is no reason to attack those who say or do things that we do not agree with. We are all working for the same reason and want to accomplish the same thing in our line of work. We do this because this is what we love. We do this becuase we want to help others, so why does helping others seem to only apply to our patients? Let's just stop all the arguing about this and get back to helping those on this site further their education and understanding of EMS and continue building relationships with those who understand what we go through on a daily basis. No one understands this life style like the ones who actually do it for a living, so let's just chill ok?

• Like 1

I never said that I have a problem with your expectation of intelligence and compassion for the members of the profession. If you read what I said, I stated that I have a problem with the way you are going about it. You are being very rude and unprofessional. You are being rude about the fry cook profession, and I just feel that there is no reason to speak poorly of another profession just because it is not what you have chosen for yourself...and seriously, this is not the place for arguments. I am not going to sit here and defend what I said about how people here are going about trying to change what the OP said. If you want to change the way people look at EMS, take a look first at the way you are representing it. I don't think that by attacking people, you will gain the respect that you are looking for. You said that if the OP behaves this way on an anonymous web forum, imagine what type of prehospital emergency medical caregiver he will be, but the same could be said for the way you are acting. You are sitting here attacking people, so what could that say about you to someone who doesn't know you? I wasn't trying to anger you or anyone else, all I am saying is that by attacking others, what does that say about us? what does this show about how we give care? Had I not met some amazingly sweet people during my training, and had this been the first place I encountered any EMS employees, I would honestly say that I would be affraid to be working in EMS based on how rude the comments I have read in this thread are.

Try actually mentoring someone who has said something that as a community we see unprofessional and uncalled for. Give them some words of wisdom...you say you have been in this business for a long time and I'm sure that you have said something at one time or another that has offended someone. What did they tell you when that happened? Try giving the OP (or anyone for that matter) some advice on the do's and don'ts of EMS and how to better him/herself, instead of just attacking. Spread the wisdom that I'm sure you have gained from your experiences, not the anger you may harvest towards something that was said. How are the new people supposed to learn if everytime they do something wrong, they get yelled at? Thos with more experience should be sharing what they know and making EMS a better place is all I was saying. There is no reason to frown upon a profession that someone else has chosen for themselves, even if we think that it is not a satisfactory job. There is no reason to attack those who say or do things that we do not agree with. We are all working for the same reason and want to accomplish the same thing in our line of work. We do this because this is what we love. We do this becuase we want to help others, so why does helping others seem to only apply to our patients? Let's just stop all the arguing about this and get back to helping those on this site further their education and understanding of EMS and continue building relationships with those who understand what we go through on a daily basis. No one understands this life style like the ones who actually do it for a living, so let's just chill ok?

Well then, practice what you preach.

Quote the OP, and respond directly with your thoughts/concerns.

Show us how it's done by a true professional like yourself.

BTW: Silent treatment does not count

Show us how it's done by a true professional like yourself.

I never said that I am "a true professional" so don't start putting words in my mouth...All I said was that those with the wisdom and experience should be sharing it, not slamming everyone else and that no one should be bad mouthing professions that are different from the one that we have chosen for ourselves. I'm done having this argument with you both.

Fixed it for ya!

Sorry.....

Looking forward to see how you deal with the OP

Eagerly awaiting your quote with response

Funny stuff ? Heres a funny call .

Medic 340 , respond to 21st and broad for male running through the street , reports of self inflicted injurys .

copy control , responding 21st and broad medic 340

As we arrived on scene i was exspecting to see this guy running around and well hurting himself in some kinda way . As ro my dismay , hes naked ! yes , naked as a j bird . He is doing a reverse snow angle in the middle of the road while banging his head hard into the pavement until he finnally passed out . Well thats all the funny for this storey but i can say it was hard not to laugh .

Nate

Nate,

So, since Mobey seems to think that I need to actually SHOW him what I am talking about when I speak of a professional way to talk to someone, here it goes.

It is never funny when someone goes around intentionally injuring themselves, especially when it goes to the extent of having to call 911 and resulting in them passing out. You will find that on this site, most people will actually be offended by stories like these because we take an oath to help those in need. And while you and your partner may share the same view of what is funny and what is not, most people here will take these stories in another way and not find them funny at all, and then an argument begins. Telling stories about patients that intentionally injure themselves to the extent that we are called in to help them is frowned upon and thought of as being unprofessional and as encouraging this behavior. And even though I'm sure this is not what you were meaning to portray, that is how some took it, so I would suggest not posting things similar to what you did here. We could all use a laugh every now and then, and I'm sure we have all laughed at patients that we have had that were similar to your story in one way or another, but I would recommend taking a look at what others have posted in this portion of the site before posting another story as to try to not offend anyone. Just a little friendly advice.

• Like 2

You will find that once you have earned the respect of the older members of the profession, they will gladly share the wisdom learned over many years of surviving in the field.

We also don't suffer fools lightly, so when a newbie that goes by the name of DUDE posts an insulting attempt at humor at the expense of an unfortunate member of societies travails, then it's time for a BITCH slap.

You will find we can eat our young in order to weed out the weak or feeble minded. And we can strongly help educate those young pups that want to learn and educate themselves into becoming the best providers they can be.

Read Tyler's response above for an example of how a young member of the profession has learned and become an excellent example of a quality provider.

Fixed it for ya!

Sorry.....

Looking forward to see how you deal with the OP

Eagerly awaiting your quote with response

Thank you...and I did respond to him FYI...no attacking or belittling...just a few friendly words of advice.

I have read your reply to the OP, and I agree for the most part.

"Warm and fuzzy handholding" has never been my forte' and probably never will be.

You post to the OP gives alot of benefit-of the doubt. That is one thing I do not hand out easily. As I spend more and more years in this profession, and as I invest more education time (4 years now) and money (over $20,000 so far) I am definatly losing tolerance for yahoos that make my profession look bad, not to mention laugh at patients. I am guessing you would be able to look back on this thread in 5 years and be a little less compassionate to the OP.

I will grant you one thing: Having 100 practitioners stone you will only make you defensive, however one practitioner to take your hand and show you the way can really lead change.

I nor many here, are not the practitioners to hold your hand. You either have the right attitude, or your "cut" from the team.

I am also a little sensitive to this thread since my mother runs an agency for mental ilness and TBI persons. I have seen people smash thier heads into brick walls, or onto the ground, or hit themselves, out of frustration because they don't know any other way to deal with it. If anyone would have as much as snickered.... Well..... you get the picture.

I have read your reply to the OP, and I agree for the most part.

"Warm and fuzzy handholding" has never been my forte' and probably never will be.

You post to the OP gives alot of benefit-of the doubt. That is one thing I do not hand out easily. As I spend more and more years in this profession, and as I invest more education time (4 years now) and money (over $20,000 so far) I am definatly losing tolerance for yahoos that make my profession look bad, not to mention laugh at patients. I am guessing you would be able to look back on this thread in 5 years and be a little less compassionate to the OP.

I will grant you one thing: Having 100 practitioners stone you will only make you defensive, however one practitioner to take your hand and show you the way can really lead change.

I nor many here, are not the practitioners to hold your hand. You either have the right attitude, or your "cut" from the team.

I am also a little sensitive to this thread since my mother runs an agency for mental ilness and TBI persons. I have seen people smash thier heads into brick walls, or onto the ground, or hit themselves, out of frustration because they don't know any other way to deal with it. If anyone would have as much as snickered.... Well..... you get the picture.

Believe me...I wasn't one for "warm and fuzzy hand holding" either, until the last thing I said to someone who meant the world to me was very similar to the posts that I have seen here in response to the OP. I have been surrounded by friends and family with mental disorders, and I have my degree in psychology, so I have spent many many long hours with mentally disabled patients. I have seen them smash their heads into walls, cabinets, their bed posts, etc. These patients often times are the nicest people you will ever meet, they just don't know how to deal with their disease. I have built relationships with so many of these patients as I did my internships, so I trust me when I say that I get being sensitive to this thread. I recently lost a friend who had a mental illness. He took his own life by running his car into a brick wall, so I get it. Someone busting their head open against the concrete, not funny. But the last conversation I had with this friend had ended with me acting in the same way that so many people who have responded to this thread have: attacking and bombarding them with terrible accusations and comments. Having a friend who went through through a situation similar to what the OP posted, I have taken a huge step back and looked in the mirror. I don't know if anyone here has ever lost someone like that, but it is the worst feeling in the world to know that your last words to someone were so unkind. That is why I when I saw what was being said here, I had to say something. There are so many ways to deal with a problem other than yelling at someone. An experience like that really makes you think about how you treat people, whether it is a friend, family member, or some random stranger on a website. You never know when your time, or theirs, is over, so I try every day to be a better person and give someone the benefit of the doubt. I do my best to teach them right from wrong without attacking them.

I do apologize if I upset you guys, but I really see no reason to attack someone just because we disagree with what has been said. Harsh words never solves anything, all it does is piss people off. Sometimes, all you need is that one person to talk to you and treat you how you would like to be treated to make the difference. And while yes, some people do need a kick in the butt, most do not and a few simple friendly suggestions will usually solve the problem.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.