swat medic

I am intrested in becoming a swat medic with a big city swat team. I am wondering if anyone on this page is an actual swat medic, how do i get started, what to expect, ect. I would love to talk to someone who works as a swat medic. I am also hoping to maybe work in dallas, or new york city. So if you have any experiance in these locations, it would be even better. k thanks :)

I get to work as a SWAT Medic, I am certified as a paramedic also. That is part time/volunteer for the local Sheriff's Department. I have over 30 years experience in EMS, last 20 as a paramediic. I have known and worked with most of the team in one form or another on the street before coming on the team. I have 22 years in the Army, lots of good training there. I am a certified SWAT operator and will probably go to the FBI school this year. I carry and own my own M4, Glock 22 and back up piece a Glock 27. If you are not on a team one of the training schools would be good credentials to have but most require an affiliation with a SWAT team. I know a lot of the teams are actually requiring you to be a police officer first. Best to explore the possibilities of teams in your area get some experience then try for the big city stuff. This is just my experience and humble opinion. What ever you do enjoy and learn.

• Like 1

i wanty to get hired on with my citys police department and go from there. I am one year out from getting my paramedic. What classes, after that should i take, and what field should i specialize in before going to swat? What physical fitness standards are there, and how do you recomend getting ready for them. Is there any certain areas i should really work on. Sorry for the questions but i want to get a head start

i wanty to get hired on with my citys police department and go from there. I am one year out from getting my paramedic. What classes, after that should i take, and what field should i specialize in before going to swat? What physical fitness standards are there, and how do you recomend getting ready for them. Is there any certain areas i should really work on. Sorry for the questions but i want to get a head start

Your grammar is STILL so terrible, I took the liberty of rewriting your post, so you have an example of how to present yourself professionally to what may be you next employer.

I would like to get hired on with my current city's police department and go from there.

I have one year of Paramedic school left.

What classes should i take once I am done Paramedic school?

What field should I specialize in before going to SWAT?

Are there physical fitness standards involved with SWAT?

How do you recomend I get ready for them?

Are there any certain areas I should focus on?

Sorry for the questions but i want to get a head start

My grammar is not 100%, but jeez girl......

• Like 2

Hey Cutie,

Mobey is actually doing you a favor, though you won't likely see it that way at first. It is very, very common these days for potiential employers to Google their new hire prospects just to see what they can see. Do you truly want a potential employer to see that you are to dumb, or to lazy to attempt to present yourself in a professional manner?

Your posts make you look ignorant, but I have a feeling that there is so much more to you than than you've shown so far. Time to step up to the plate babe. This is where we separate the wheat from the chaff.

Good to have you here. I'm excited to see you succeed.

Dwayne

Edited to fix a typo. No contextual changes made.

See Cutie? Not pretending to be smarter than you, I'm just trying to do the best I can and that's what we all hope for you.

Edited by DwayneEMTP

Emtcutie were do I begin.

If you truly want to be a SWAT MEDIC you need to earn your paramedic and put in serious time as a medic. Strive to be a leader in your field of paramedicine. Like everything in life it is not as simple as just that though, you now need to test and I mean test for every hiring police Dept that runs there own team. It will help that you have a medic to get on a team however most teams wood rather train an officer to be a medic than train a medic to be an officer. If you want to be a medic on a team military service is huge and I mean it so much so that with out it you can pretty much count your self out. As far as XE and 3c they only hire current law enforcement ( you must be POST certified so volunteering will do nothing but waste your time.) or they hire AF PJ, 18d , MARSOC medics medics with out need not apply. Truly your best bet now is to be great as a medic (NEVER STOP LEARNING) and at the same time hunt police work. Finally do not let Me say this again DO NOT take any 3-5 Day course they are a complete waste of Money for a private citizen. The only course worth a trip is CONTOMS and You must Be an officer or agent to attend. The others are fun but will not help. It is a simple formula to Be an officer medic you Need To be a officer first. Send me a PM if you have more questions and if your near AZ we can setup a meeting and a tour of my Dept.

Always 10-8

I agree with most of the other stuff here. Generally SWAT medics have substantial amounts of field experience prior to getting onto a SWAT team. Of our six medics, all have at least 5 years full time field experience, and most are lieutenants or captains on their respective departments, with 10-15 years of field time.

'zilla

As far as my grammar goes, i am not really trying to be accurate and professional on here. When i do actually have to submit something for employment i am much better and i review what i type. Not to mention most of these post come from a phone, not a computer so i am sure my words are mispelled typing on a small phone. But anyways, thanks guys for the help on what i should expect. I am going to be applying to 5 different cities who are hiring right now and go from there. I have a recruiter i am working with that has been helping me with the city i want to get on with. I work with a personal trainer every other day so that i will be in my best personal shape. My recruiter has been telling me what i can do to increase my chances of getting hired. I guess since yall said i usually have to have experiance first i will work as a cop for a while. It should be fun an will get me the experiance. I am majoring in emergency medicine, do you think i should take criminal justice classes? Again thanks guys :) and sorry bout the grammar... i will "try" here if it makes yall feel better.

• 3 weeks later...

As far as my grammar goes, i am not really trying to be accurate and professional on here. When i do actually have to submit something for employment i am much better and i review what i type. Not to mention most of these post come from a phone, not a computer so i am sure my words are mispelled typing on a small phone. But anyways, thanks guys for the help on what i should expect. I am going to be applying to 5 different cities who are hiring right now and go from there. I have a recruiter i am working with that has been helping me with the city i want to get on with. I work with a personal trainer every other day so that i will be in my best personal shape. My recruiter has been telling me what i can do to increase my chances of getting hired. I guess since yall said i usually have to have experiance first i will work as a cop for a while. It should be fun an will get me the experiance. I am majoring in emergency medicine, do you think i should take criminal justice classes? Again thanks guys :) and sorry bout the grammar... i will "try" here if it makes yall feel better.

News flash, as I have been a part of our hiring for many many years, and we also correspond and work closely with our local LEO's..I can promise you many agencies, especially LEO agencies… are absolutely hip to what you post and how you present yourself in internet land. EMS is a small world, and I know of several would be hires we have passed over after review of what they said and the pics they posted on their face book pages, on internet sites, and such.

Fair? No. Reality? Definitely.

As for an "in" to being a swat medic? Not to be harsh, but grow up, focus in the first 5-10 years on becoming an oustanding medic.

In addition, work HARD on your physical fitness, most LEO circles recommend a cross-fit type program for "functional fitness". I would strongly recommend becoming a reserve deputy/officer in the process. Finially, becoming a part of the "warrior" culture through shooting and martial arts will help too. This is a years long process. I speak from knowing all the members on our TAC-MED team, as well as many LEOs. And trust me, we all can sniff out badge bunnies and B.S. from a mile away. Get serious about your career first, and then worry about the TEMS team.

On the plus side, I know of three very fit females on our team over the years who were very successful in TEMS, so it is absolutely achievable by a female. And trust me, not one of them exhibited an ounce of groupie behavior.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.