Advice

ant 6.0

Hello all I am a week away from starting an emt-b course and wanted to ask a few questions about what comes next as far choosing a good company to work for. im looking for a place where overtime is always available not only so i can support myself but also to rack up xp quickly. can anyone offer advice to an up and comer in the chi?

The problem with a place that has overtime "always available" is that the temptation to throw you in there the first week will be overwhelming. You're much less likely to get a comprehensive orientation if you're working the truck the same day you get hired (ironically, to cut down on OT costs).

As a new EMT, you need that orientation (especially the driving component, since that's not generally covered in EMT classes). Most "good" companies will be fully staffed with little overtime. The companies with lots of OT have high turnover rates, and increased stress on the remaining staff. If you really want that extra time, you'd be better off finding a regular FT job and PRN somewhere else. Not only will that give you more control over your hours, you'll be able to compare two services and figure out best practices.

Good luck with class!

Prmedc

• Like 1

Hello all I am a week away from starting an emt-b course and wanted to ask a few questions about what comes next as far choosing a good company to work for. im looking for a place where overtime is always available not only so i can support myself but also to rack up xp quickly. can anyone offer advice to an up and comer in the chi?

Hello. And welcome.

Microsoft stopped supporting some versions of Windows XP in 2006. Please contact Microsoft for specific details. However, I'm sure you could still find someone in the IT field who could help you rack an XP server system.

Please learn to spell and punctuate properly. If you can't spell, if you can't use proper punctuation and grammar, if you can't write without using text message abbreviations, you won't get hired. Yes, this applies to PROFESSIONAL internet forums like this one as well.

If you're looking to support yourself on an EMT-B income I hope you are skilled at living frugally. Even if overtime is available, which is a question you need to ask perspective employers, EMT-B wages are not conducive to living a comfortable life. So you could either work all the time in order to support yourself and have no life, or your can strive to create some balance between work and having a life. The latter is harder to do on an EMT-B income but it is so ridiculously important.

If you're looking for the names of good employers in your area you might want to tell us where you are. Then you might want to check Google.

With regards to what to look for in potential employers, well, that is long and varied. A good safety record is important. Total benefits package is important. The maintenance of their ambulance fleet is important. How management treats their staff is important. Turnover is important. A lot depends on what you want in your employer.

Ultimately, however, my advice is to go to college and start your career from there.

Good luck.

Edited by paramedicmike

If you bothered to read i said I was in chicago, thanks for the useless advice though...

Hello. And welcome.

Microsoft stopped supporting some versions of Windows XP in 2006. Please contact Microsoft for specific details. However, I'm sure you could still find someone in the IT field who could help you rack an XP server system.

Please learn to spell and punctuate properly. If you can't spell, if you can't use proper punctuation and grammar, if you can't write without using text message abbreviations, you won't get hired. Yes, this applies to PROFESSIONAL internet forums like this one as well.

If you're looking to support yourself on an EMT-B income I hope you are skilled at living frugally. Even if overtime is available, which is a question you need to ask perspective employers, EMT-B wages are not conducive to living a comfortable life. So you could either work all the time in order to support yourself and have no life, or your can strive to create some balance between work and having a life. The latter is harder to do on an EMT-B income but it is so ridiculously important.

If you're looking for the names of good employers in your area you might want to tell us where you are. Then you might want to check Google.

With regards to what to look for in potential employers, well, that is long and varied. A good safety record is important. Total benefits package is important. The maintenance of their ambulance fleet is important. How management treats their staff is important. Turnover is important. A lot depends on what you want in your employer.

Ultimately, however, my advice is to go to college and start your career from there.

Good luck.

The word "Chicago" appears nowhere in your original post. Nor does it appear in your profile information located on the left of the screen under your screen name. Nowhere in your original post do you state you're in Chicago. So unless you expect people to read your mind you need to spell out exactly what you mean instead of relying on random clues that only you understand.

Do you consider the advice offered "useless" simply because it doesn't tell you what you want to hear? Welcome to the real world. Nobody's going to blow rainbows up your skirt simply because you think you deserve it.

Good luck, anyway.

If you bothered to read i said I was in chicago, thanks for the useless advice though...

Nope Chicago is not in your original post read it and reread it.

You were given great advise but appear to only want your ears tickled. So I will lie to you so you will be happy. Every emt-b gets rich, the only question is how rich will be based on if they only want to work 10 days a month or 15 days a month. Now are you happy since I told you what you wanted to hear even though it is wrong?

Perhaps this is short for Chicago?

I thought it was a tea....

From wiki:

Chinese

Chi (length) (尺) , a traditional Chinese unit of length ("Chinese foot"), approximately 1/3 of a meter

Chi (mythology) (螭), a dragon in Chinese mythology

Ch'i or qi (氣), "life-force" in Chinese culture

Chi (instrument) (篪), an ancient Chinese transverse flute

Greek

Chi (letter), the Greek letter (uppercase Χ, lowercase χ);

Japanese

Chi (kana), a Japanese kana

地, Japanese character ‎for Earth

other

Chi River, Thailand

Chi, a god in Igbo mythology

in science

A probability distribution in mathematics:

Chi distribution

Chi-square distribution

Chi site, a DNA sequence that serves as a recombination hot spot

Creatinine height ratio

in fiction and popular culture

Chi (magazine), an Italian magazine

Chi (Chobits), a character in Chobits media

Chi, a character in Chi's Sweet Home media

"Chi", a song by Korn from Life Is Peachy

Ok... The first couple of insults were already overboard. I think he's got it... We all need to support each other; not ridicule one another...

EMS is Every Member Strong; we need to help and support one another, to make each other stronger... We need to save the energy; negative or positive, to fight for progress in EMS... He's new and he obviously wants to work; he's energetic; most were when they started... Its EMT-B not scholar PhD... What he wrote was fine... This forum is for EMS education, awareness, social networking, fun, news relay, & support purposes... Many are right about the uncommon abbreviations he used but we don't need to beat it to death...

Good Luck...

But ant 6.0; worry about all this when you're a week from your EMT-B State Exam... You have more important things to worry about.

Study study study!!!! Ask questions; no question is dumb; its dumb not to ask......

Any experience is good experience..... You must earn your way to the top; it takes time; enjoy it.......