What Is A PROPER Uniform for EMS

That looks exactly like what I wear, except no reflective stripes.

Really? Care to share any photos or give the brand names of the individual articles of your uniform? How do you like that kind of uniform?

Actually, and most of you probably will disagree with me on this one, I really think these uniforms look pretty cool. The picture's of a paramedic and doctor in Germany, though don't think they still wear these anymore. I'm a big fan of the white, that I think, more than anything else, screams medical to me.

I hate white. With a serious passion. There's a reason nurses don't wear it anymore, it looks professional right up until you actually have to DO something.

I don't care what the uniform is as long as it's functional and comfortable. The current white uniform shirt so popular in EMS (and that my service wears) is neither.

I hate white. With a serious passion. There's a reason nurses don't wear it anymore, it looks professional right up until you actually have to DO something.

I don't care what the uniform is as long as it's functional and comfortable. The current white uniform shirt so popular in EMS (and that my service wears) is neither.

To be honest, I can only think of one time since August when my shirt would have gotten dirty as a result of patient care--and I work in a busy urban environment with plenty of trauma. I know I haven't been doing this long, but I think the idea that white would get especially messy might be a little overrated.

I do agree that the white button up isn't especially comfortable (it feels like I'm always having to readjust it or re-tuck it in as well), though I think it's fairly functional. Having pockets on my shirt is a big step up from the red polo I had to wear as a student. You say you don't care what the uniform is as long as it's functional and comfortable--what kind of uniform do you think meets that criteria?

I wear a T-Shirt but It looks professional to the point that only icon on the shirt is the Star Of Life. Now T-shirts from the sister company of Black Helmet is not proper for a uniform. I do have to say that the t-shirts came in handy when having to deal with Patients that were infested with Bed Bugs made decontamination much easier. But My Company is a small ambulance department thoung not like those in the bigger cities.

To be honest, I can only think of one time since August when my shirt would have gotten dirty as a result of patient care--and I work in a busy urban environment with plenty of trauma.

I know full well you can stay clean in an urban setting....

Out here in the rural/remote setting it is not quite as easy. Blood aside, we respond to lots of farm accidents involving dusty dirty equipment, and patients. A white shirt does not stand up well when you have to walk 1/2 a mile through the trees/mud to get to a quad accident.

I am in favor of flight suit type uniforms too.

White shows dirt and other contaminints, both biological and other particulate, and is, in some oriental cultures, the rfepresentative color of death, much as black is the representative color of death in US and UK countries.

The pullover knit shirts used in "summer uniform" by the FDNY were never my "thang". I preferred the older 7 button "military" style, as I felt it looked somewhat more professional, plus, I use the shirt pockets. The knits don't have pockets.

Yes, I know it makes me look a bit more like our FF and LEO brothers and sisters, but, to me, the EMT patch on my right shoulder is sometimes more important than the agency patch on the left.

• Like 1

To be honest, I can only think of one time since August when my shirt would have gotten dirty as a result of patient care--and I work in a busy urban environment with plenty of trauma. I know I haven't been doing this long, but I think the idea that white would get especially messy might be a little overrated. I do agree that the white button up isn't especially comfortable (it feels like I'm always having to readjust it or re-tuck it in as well), though I think it's fairly functional. Having pockets on my shirt is a big step up from the red polo I had to wear as a student. You say you don't care what the uniform is as long as it's functional and comfortable--what kind of uniform do you think meets that criteria?

It's usually not blood, in the past 12 months I've probably only had to change uniforms twice from blood. It's usually a little bit of coffee, or lunch, or grime from checking the fluids, or dirt from laying down to access a patient...stuff that never seemed to show up as badly when I was wearing dark blue.

Probably the most "functional" uniform I've ever worn was a flightsuit. There were enough pockets I could keep everything handy and seperated. It was also the most uncomfortable thing I've worn in EMS by a mile. First they always seemed a little too long (I'm 5'6") and Nomex is truly a miracle fabric, hot in the summer, cold in the winter and seemingly as non-breathing as vinyl. At the end of the day you smelled...interesting. I once took four showers in a 16 hour period thanks to that fine piece of modern engineering. It would probably be better in a different fabric.

I'd be happy with an Underarmor type polo (stays wrinkle free) and EMS pants. I don't use the shirt pockets at all, and wearing an undershirt grows tiresome when it's 100+ degrees and >85% humidity like we have for three month stretches around here. I also don't think tees are unprofessional after hours at a 24 hour service, I also think this is where the cotton-blend lightweight jumpsuit would come in handy.

Edited by usalsfyre

Out here in the rural/remote setting it is not quite as easy. Blood aside, we respond to lots of farm accidents involving dusty dirty equipment, and patients. A white shirt does not stand up well when you have to walk 1/2 a mile through the trees/mud to get to a quad accident.

I work rural as well, and your quote is one reason why we are required to have a 2nd uniform on shift so that we can change after such a call. These occurences are usually not the norm. If our need is great, we can go out of service to decon ourselves and our rig. Then, each of our stations has a washer/dryer so that our soiled uniform can be cleaned and then becomes our new backup uniform. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.