School to become a paramedic?

Greed21

I just recently got hired as an EMT-B in the state of Mass and already enrolled in a medic program for this upcoming July. I'm starting to second guess my decision because i am horrible at book work, DONT get me wrong i absolutely love this field im just not a good readerdry.gif. My future goals are to be on a 911 service and hopefully soon to be a firefighter. I know i need higher education but im thinking about becoming an EMT-I first then maybe going to medic school after i see how well i do with my intermediate. Anyone have any advice maybe past experience they have had with this same situation? I would really appreciate any insight on what you may have to say!

I have no idea what is around there for schools, but I know here in Canada there are fire schools that do not include medical education.

Perhaps if you wanna be a FF, you should just go to fire school.

Unless I am misunderstanding you? I know when I wanted to be a plumber in my past, I did not go to electrician school.

I have no idea what is around there for schools, but I know here in Canada there are fire schools that do not include medical education.

Perhaps if you wanna be a FF, you should just go to fire school.

Unless I am misunderstanding you? I know when I wanted to be a plumber in my past, I did not go to electrician school.

Out here we have schools for pmeds and emts. There is a degree called fire science but from what i know and hear from some guys i know closely at the fire depts it rarely ever helps you get the job but simply gets you an increase in salary once hired. Most fire depts in Mass require you to be a EMT-P or an ALS provider to be a FF on that dept. From what i know EMT-I is ALS (correct me if im wrong) I just dont know which one i should try doing. EMT-I see if i can handle the book work or is medic not to much harder and just jump in the pool and go for it.

Every state and every program are different in what they provide as well is what is needed in the job sector. I am not familiar with what the NE does, but it sounds like there are different pathways you can venture, and is seems you are looking into this. Research farther into what your future employers are wanting and then drive that path. Be aware of many forks in the road as whichever program or level you go through requires extensive/intensive book work and skill preparation. If you are having difficulty in book work, the path you may want to travel is the EMT-I, then possibly the Paramedic. Only you know what you can do yourself if the dedication is there. Do ever forget the light at the end of the tunnel. If you decide the Paramedic route, you will have to be dedicated to the class 110 percent. I would also advise you to go through a degree program as this will may you more marketable.

Out here we have schools for pmeds and emts. There is a degree called fire science but from what i know and hear from some guys i know closely at the fire depts it rarely ever helps you get the job but simply gets you an increase in salary once hired. Most fire depts in Mass require you to be a EMT-P or an ALS provider to be a FF on that dept. From what i know EMT-I is ALS (correct me if im wrong) I just dont know which one i should try doing. EMT-I see if i can handle the book work or is medic not to much harder and just jump in the pool and go for it.

EMT-I is not ALS per se; it's ILS (Intermediate Life Support) or LALS (Limited Advanced Life Support) at best. This is NOT the same as ALS (Advanced Life Support. If it were, then there would be no difference in the scope of practice between EMT-I and EMT-P.

When the hiring requirement is ALS, they mean Paramedic, not the lower license level of EMT-I.

Unless your state combines EMT-B/EMT-I, there should be no reason to waste time or money obtaining your EMT-I. Go get your Associates Degree in Paramedicine.

I would also advise you to go through a degree program as this will may you more marketable.

Why would a degree program make me more marketable? Im pretty sure i will go the path towards pmed to me money and time wise would just be so much more if i did one before the other and i know im dedicated enough. I got my EMT-B level lic. from just regular course that a place offers but has no college credits. I was thinking about going back there to get my pmed mainly because of the connections that place as (dedham fire chief, pmeds from all different depts, etc...) unless a degree would really help that much more i dont really see the difference as long as i have my lic.?

Why would a degree program make me more marketable?

Again, not knowing how the situation is in the NE.... Many employers today seem to look for the recent graduate to be a perspective employee. This tends to make their company look better. I am not going to get into the debate of degree versus non-degree programs as this is bashed all over this site. I prefer the degree program (as I teach one), and have seen many of my graduates gain employment over students from programs that did not offer the degree. With degree programs, there seems to be more emphasis on the anatomy and physiology, base mathematical equation, and other scientific education....all which IMO tends to round out the aspect of pre-hospital care that Paramedics provide.

I am very sure that others medics that frequent this site will offer there own opinions, both for and against the degree programs. Go with what fits you best.

Why would a degree program make me more marketable? Im pretty sure i will go the path towards pmed to me money and time wise would just be so much more if i did one before the other and i know im dedicated enough. I got my EMT-B level lic. from just regular course that a place offers but has no college credits. I was thinking about going back there to get my pmed mainly because of the connections that place as (dedham fire chief, pmeds from all different depts, etc...) unless a degree would really help that much more i dont really see the difference as long as i have my lic.?

DoubleFacePalm.jpg

A degree will always make you more marketable. If I have a choice between hiring a person with a degree or with the bare minimum, the degree will generally win out. Including the education, which you appear to need, it proves that you have the motivation to go above and beyond what is minimally required. Organizations generally like that, a lot. Not to bash you, but your posts are not very readable, and it's very hard to understand what you are trying to say. College English will help you in the arena. If a potential employer can not understand you, you will be bypassed.

Lone, Dear, Maryland treats their EMT-I's as ALS providers. Although a full paramedic will get some preference in hiring, the fire departments only want an ALS provider, and the "I" will suffice. However, they can't move up the career ladder unless they become a full paramedic, or move to the fire side.

You won't find many here that advocate becoming an ALS provider just because it's the only way to get a job as a fire fighter, it holds our profession back.

I hear rumors through the grapevine that OEMS is going to no longer offer the Intermediate license in the near future.

If you want to get hired in a career fire department go and get at least an associates degree in Paramedicine.

Look into Northeast university or Springfield Collage, both have excellent reputations for producing well educated clinicians.

There are openings for degreed Paramedics fairly often.

At least you recognize that Paramedic School is not a walk in a park.

Be open minded, listen, get involved, be honest, follow direction, & be humble. I get many EMTs who take the Medic program who think their sh#t don't stink. We're proud to fail students who deserve to fail. Unlike EMT; Paramedic is not volunteer work. Its not easy. There's many hours in class and on rotation. Study, study, study, study. Research, research, research... Its a great year of challenge and success....

Plz see my thread regarding EMT Certification Restructuring: which the majority of ppl disagree. I note the EMT to Medic; its difficulties and how we can bridge that gap...

Good luck....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.