Build your own paramedic school

In theory that is true but in reality not all people are good teachers. You could take even many highly educated doctors that could not teach a basic class not because they do not know the material but because they are not teachers. Unless you mean they could go up and read the slides, but I'm sure that's not what you mean.

I don't want to take this OT, so if this merits discussion we can open a new thread. My thought process here is that an essential skill of a Paramedic would be communication, the same for an educator. A good instructor course would help to focus the communication into instruction. With the basic program as it stands, it doesn't take a masters degree to present the material, rather in depth vocational knowledge.

Like I said I don't want to sidetrack Ruffs contest, and if we want to discuss this a new thread would be great.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

A key question in curriculum design is the clinical placement structure and the duration of of the course , placement and didactic phases

From the UK perspective a Pre-Registration Nursing Course must have 4600 program hours split 50/50 between didactic and clinical and a minimum academic content of a level 5 award (Diploma of Higher Education = 2/3s of a Bachelors degree) although there are plenty of 'advanced diploma', Degree even Masters pre-reg programmes as well as graduate entry Postgrad Diploma.

The College of Paramedics recommends a minimum placement experience of 1500 hours for paramedic pre-reg programs and the HPC currently accepts 'equivalent to' Level 4 academically - which is the 'traditional' IHCD course , most of the University based courses are level 5 ( either Diploma of HE or Foundation Degree) are level 6 Bachelors degrees.

None Medical Health professional courses in the UK nearly always include aspects of 'early patient contact' as do a lot, but not all, Medical Degrees, which some of the proposals outlined above seem to ignore ... i'd be interested in the rationales people have against early clinical exposure or whether this exposure would be there in the courses in the modules suggested just not as specific units of study until later in the course.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.