EMT struck, killed by truck while working I-65 crash

http://www.waff.com/Global/story.asp?S=13676701

Laura Elizabeth Pullam EMT dead @ 29 years of age LODD.

God be careful out there everyone.

If the pickup was speeding and passing cars in icy conditions and didn't slow down for the emergency vehicles then he should be charged with vehicular homicide.

These drivers who fail to slow down when we are on the highway disgust me.

I had a driver who would not slow down when we were working an accident one day. We were getting ready to move the patient to the ambulance and the driver just kept on coming. He began to slow down when he realized we were moving the patient yet did not stop. I motioned for him to stop, he kept coming at about 10 - 15 miles per hour. I realized he wasn't going to stop so I pulled out my mag light and smacked his car when he drove by. Damn he was pissed. The trooper saw what was happening and by the time the trooper got over to us the driver stopped. He was yelling at me. I told him that he nearly hit us and the patient.

He said he had to get somewhere in a hurry and the Trooper cut in and said, "You aint getting there quite yet" proceeded to take him off behind his patrol car and the next thing I see is the guy getting handcuffed. The troooper at the hospital told me he had 2 warrants and now he had charges for careless and imprudent driving, failing to yield for an emergency vehicle, speeding, obstructing a criminal investigation and whatever else he could think of. I don't know what happened to the guy.

He did file a complaint against me for damage to his vehicle but my boss refused to pay for it.

but I did get a butt chewin for damaging his car. I tried to hit a home run with the mag light but it only made a 5 inch dent.

I seriously hope the driver is buried UNDER the jail cell! :warning:

There is absolutely NO reason this should have happened other than they were careless and negligent by driving too fast for road/weather conditions and more than likely 'rubbernecking' the crash scene.

They have enacted harsher penalties for injuring/killing DOT workers, it's time that the same be done to public safety personnel as well.

In GA, you have to change lanes in order to give emergency vehicles a 'buffer zone' AND you have to slow down in case you have to stop suddenly.

It's really sad to hear about our brothers and sisters out there getting seriously injured and being killed while on duty. What's even sadder is when their injuries and deaths where completely avoidable! Passing and speeding on a highway that is icy....really?? I hope this clown gets plenty of time in a 10x10 ft cell to think about what he did. I hope his license is revoked indefinitely forcing him to walk, bike, or use mass transit for the rest of his natural life!

There was a similar accident in York County, Pa in 2008. A police officer was investigating a fatal accident and some soccer mom yakking on her cell phone AND applying makeup AND tailgating hit him with enough force to send him 150 ft down the highway. After the accident, she reset her phone to cover up the fact that she was on the phone and they found makeup powder all over the drivers area. Yet they allowed her to drive where she racked up 2 more tickets for speeding and unsafe driving between the time of the accident and sentencing which occurred last month. She's been sentenced to ONE to FIVE years in jail with probation after after the first year.....ohh yeah she's knocked up with an at risk child and won't have to serve her sentence until after 2 months post delivery. Anybody see anything wrong with that picture???

Sorry but this is my number one pet peeve, idiot drivers who think the roads and everything on it revolves around them and I see it everyday while at work and on a call. Ruffems, I've had several close calls also, the blinky red lights and obnoxiously yellow safety vests doesn't seem to convey the hint of HEY PUT DOWN THE CELLPHONE AND SLOW THE BLEEP DOWN!!!

My thoughts are with the family, friends, and co workers of EMT Pullam.

• 2 years later...

Again the courts let a loser like that off with a 5 year suspension and probation.

I hope her family goes after him with a civil suit to remind him of what he did to them,

Vehicular Manslaughter doesn't mean much in Alabama

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.