Infographic: Solutions to Automated External Defibrillator Challenges

CTCSG

post-25726-0-62151600-1292352989_thumb.j

Health Education Solutions, the leading provider of continuing education solutions for first responders and healthcare professionals, recently released an infographic illustrating solutions to some of the most common Automated External Defibrillator (AED) Challenges. Concerned about AED challenges such as water or chest hair? This infographic provides simple steps to overcome these obstacles.

Crystal (HES)

Edited by CTCSG

Just went to the diagram and I have a question

For chest hair - you are dealing with a lot of hair and you pull the pad off and it removes a bunch of hair. What do you do with the hairy patch now? Do you put it back on the chest or put a new set of pads on?

if you put the pad back on with all the hair wouldn't you still have the hair problem?

if you put the pad back on with all the hair wouldn't you still have the hair problem?

Yeah pretty much. If you do that you should use new pads. Other options are to use different pad positioning, or a razor. Usually a little bit of hair isn't that big of a deal.

Edited by fiznat

Yeah pretty much. If you do that you should use new pads. Other options are to use different pad positioning, or a razor. Usually a little bit of hair isn't that big of a deal.

Yeah the graphic wasn't clear on that.

But seriously - if you have a very hairy guy, just go directly to the razor. It's quicker and if you have electric clippers you can clear the hair pretty quick, about 3-4 seconds.

I think the graphic needs to be updated to say to use a new pad if it's covered in hair.

Just went to the diagram and I have a question

For chest hair - you are dealing with a lot of hair and you pull the pad off and it removes a bunch of hair. What do you do with the hairy patch now? Do you put it back on the chest or put a new set of pads on?

Put a razor blade in the AED pack or duct tape :)

If I remember correctly, contact must be made to the skin and will do so through hair. But if there is A LOT of hair, it should be mostly removed. The electricty should travel through the hair.. since hair follicles are just dead skin cells anyway (similar to the epidermis) why wouldn't it work? Given, it might smell a bit. I do not know enough about electricty to confirm this though. But if I can feel a tingle when my foot is touching the cot with thick leather boots, wool socks.. some hair should not be an issue.

Some AEDs actually tell you to remove hair and also show the location. I think I would always us the razor first as this is what I have been taught. Our razors are always in the AED. On another note has anyone also got a set routine in the positioning of the AED when using the oxygen? I have a set place for the AED as I would have to move he oxygen away and when placing the airway I have to be at the top of the head so in place it at the head facing my, some do it at the side but I found that i have to fart around to much

1) You must not have too many human gorillas where you might use an AED.

2) Pull the hair with one set of pads, then go immediately to a second set of pads.

3) Disposable Razor included with our sets, as we are instructed to have them there. Doesn't make EMTs or Paramedics into barbers, however. One chestpain call I was on, they took almost 10 minutes to shave the guy's chest.

4) If you feel the charge when defibbing, someone didn't get "Clear"! Heavy potential for EMS personnel to get zapped when the patient is riding the lightning.

Edited by Richard B the EMT

It’s correct that if the pad removes an abundance of chest hair, a new pad should be quickly placed in a matter of seconds. It’s true that using the razor takes too much time, and that it takes a large amount of chest hair to truly impede the flow of energy. If placed firmly, generally the pads adhere to the skin and provide the surface contact necessary. The individual with enough chest hair to prevent an adequate defibrillation would be unusual, but is possible.

Crystal (HES)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.