scenario question

I have a question from the scenario in my patient assessment-trauma from my practical. I passed, YAY! But was just thinking over things and wondered what the best thing would be in a real world situation. I had a motorcyle accident victim, he had been wearing a helment (removed for the scenario) On the rapid assessment, found decreased lung sounds on right side, and pain when palpated, no abdominal pain on palpation, and pain in left hip on palpation and also on right tib/fib. I verbalized rolling the patient and DCAPBTLS on the posterior, So here's the question.... with significant injuries on both sides, what's the best way to get this patient on the back board? Roll him to the left side on the injured hip? or on the right side with the broken leg and thorasic injuries? OR would the best be a scoop? (also had the helicopter in air right away. ) thanks in advance for thoughts. :rolleyes:

File:Gray1245.png

Well you state pain in both "hips".

I am not a fan if the term "hip" in healthcare, because it means different things to different providers.

To me it means pelvis. If there is pain in the pelvis, do not roll them. If there is a fracture, you risk severing the femoral artery.

The best choice is a scoop. Have the pt picked up by others so you can asseess the back as well as possible.

File:Femoral_artery_and_branches.gif

BTW: Some people will call a proximal femur fracture a "hip" fracture. Hence my hatrid of the term.

EDIT: trying to add pic...

Edited by mobey

Gray1245.png

Well you state pain in both "hips".

I am not a fan if the term "hip" in healthcare, because it means different things to different providers.

To me it means pelvis. If there is pain in the pelvis, do not roll them. If there is a fracture, you risk severing the femoral artery.

The best choice is a scoop. Have the pt picked up by others so you can asseess the back as well as possible.

Femoral_artery_and_branches.gif

BTW: Some people will call a proximal femur fracture a "hip" fracture. Hence my hatrid of the term.

EDIT: trying to add pic...

You were linking to the info page for the image, not the specific image file.

Agreed with Mobey. Just out of curiosity, when you checked for pelvic stability, what did your examiner say? While not applicable every time, remember when you see a pelvic injury - the scoop stretcher will provide the best support.

The Examiner didn't say anything, just glad that while I didn't do it in the test, my instinct to use the scoop instead of a long board was good. I think they were fairly lenient with us.... we were testing in a blizard and 21 of the 75 that were scheduled to test were crazy enough to come.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.