Good EMS partners

I have had the opportunity to work with many different partners in EMS, and I was thinking what traits/ things a partner did that I liked, here are some of them:

Offer to drive if I have been driving all day and we are ping ponging posts, or if I just got food

Let me tech the BLS calls... I didn't get in this to be just a chauffeur!

Will interact with me, at least some of the shift, not just sit there texting/ playing games on their phones

Lets me ask questions about what they are doing with an ALS patient w/ out getting defensive, and can explain things well

Is willing to teach

Is willing to learn/ admit they are wrong

Going along with the above, lets me point out a mistake they may have made (like putting limb leads on fake legs!) w/out getting insulted

Will point out my mistakes in a kind way

Likes being a paramedic/ EMT

What are some qualities you like in your partner/ things they do that make you enjoy the shift more?

• Like 1

Whenever my partner and I aren't together and I have mystery meat, I always tell him or her first off - I can't read your mind. Please tell me what you are thinking. I won't be insulted to hear "Can you spike me a bag?" or "I think we can BLS him."

I will be insulted if you get mad at me for not reading your mind. Every person is different. One medic might throw someone on monitor, 12-lead, IV, fluid and NRB - all before leaving the scene, while another might get around to a NC sometime enroute. As long as protocols are followed, two medics can run the same call completely different ways and both be right. If I haven't worked with you before, I don't know how you run.

That's my biggest pet peeve. Just say what you want. Think out loud. If we aren't permanent partners I don't have a lot invested in learning how you think. Just say it.

Whenever my partner and I aren't together and I have mystery meat, I always tell him or her first off - I can't read your mind. Please tell me what you are thinking. I won't be insulted to hear "Can you spike me a bag?" or "I think we can BLS him."

I will be insulted if you get mad at me for not reading your mind. Every person is different. One medic might throw someone on monitor, 12-lead, IV, fluid and NRB - all before leaving the scene, while another might get around to a NC sometime enroute. As long as protocols are followed, two medics can run the same call completely different ways and both be right. If I haven't worked with you before, I don't know how you run.

That's my biggest pet peeve. Just say what you want. Think out loud. If we aren't permanent partners I don't have a lot invested in learning how you think. Just say it.

Yeah, I usually ask partners how they like to run a call when we start a shift, but the answer I get usually is "it depends" and they don't elaborate. I work with partner of the week (aka someone different) a lot, and it is frustrating not to have the jive, and know how to work together well.

I think one of the biggest things is communication. Also I like someone who lets me do my thing while catching anything I may miss but bring it up in such away that doesn't make me look like an idiot in front of a patient or patient's family.

good example (I will keep it short)

One partner berated me in front of the patient and a distraught family member because I was using blow-by O2 instead of having the NRB on the Pt. Little did my partner know that 3 seconds before he got in the back the Pt stated very closterphobic, I checked sats and they were 97% thus the blow by brought them to 98%.

My new partner kindly asked a question about eye color, took me a second to realize, I didnt check dilation on the pt.

I also like working with ALS that let me help and not religate me to the background.

example.

One set of ALS went ape on my for checking PMS on a pt during a long transport. It was their patient not mine I was told.

I had a new ALS crew on another call that asked me to hang a bag(yes just hang it up, nothing else), run BP and vitals (yes a 12 was hooked up but guess they wanted to see how I was) made me feel as I was part of the crew.

I guess its all about comfort level, communication, and social networking (NO NOT Facewitterspacebook but social interation). I can usually tell within a few minutes how the shift will go with a new partner or ALS crew by they way they interact with themselves and me in the "comfort" of non patient care.

Good topic and one that I hope others will chime in with and maybe it will help other new to the field avoid some pitfalls.

As an ALS provider who works with EMTs for the most part, I have a few preferences as well.

-If you don't know something, just tell me. Don't try to fake it.

-Be active in what's going on. I will direct you if need be, but that doesn't mean put your hands in your pockets until you are told what to do. We've both done this stuff many times before, we both know what needs to get done, let's do it together. If I'm talking to the patient, talk to the family. If I'm talking to the family, talk to the patient. Get vital signs, or write down the meds, or think about how we're going to get the patient out of the house. Do stuff. We are a team.

-Be familiar with the equipment. You should be extremely comfortable with the BLS side of things. I appreciate if you can help out with ALS stuff (spike bags, put on leads, whatever), but the BLS is far more important. I want to be able to rely on you for vital signs, excellent splinting technique, extrication, scene awareness, BLS airway management, etc etc.

-Drive slow, and keep in mind every bump and turn is magnified in the back. Lights and sirens transport isn't an excuse to forget this, in fact usually it is even more important.

-Always always be respectful to staff and family on scene. Don't make me apologize for your behavior.

-Don't talk trash about other people, especially if we don't know each other.

-Questions or concerns are fine, I like to talk about calls. ...But not in front of the patient. Wait till the call is over, and we can figure out how to do it better next time. (imminent safety concerns excluded, of course)

Edited by fiznat

I want a partner who is skilled, and treats patients and family with respect. I want a partner who understand that even when the call is total BS, you do your job, and if necessary bitch about it LATER. I want a partner who understands that part of our job is the education of patients, families, and care givers. I want a partner who thinks that a vital part of our job is to make people feel comfortable when we arrive- that they think we are professional, skilled, and knowledgeable- that our presence will help alleviate their fears.

I also want a partner that has the same warped sense of humor that I do, and does not take him/herself too seriously.

Luckily I have such a partner. We laugh all day long.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.