What to wear on first ride-along?

lilabean

I am almost done with my EMT class but still have to do the ambulance ride-along. They said black slacks, white button up shirt and black boots/shoes. Here's the deal. I swear I hardly own any pants besides jeans (I'm mostly a skirts and dresses kind of gal), I don't even have a pair of black slacks. So, does it really matter what "style" they are for just the ride-along? Can they be simple like dickies? Also I do not have black boot/shoes that aren't baled flats or heels. So, since I have to buy those too, do they really need to be like those work boots? Any suggestions here would be greatly appreciated.

If you are truely going into EMS, make the investment into some good black work boots. Black dickies should be ok. If you want to be taken seriously by the crew, dress professionally. If you have any questions, ask your instructor. They will have the best answers.

If you are really going to be going into the field why not spend the little money it is and get the right equipment. 45 bucks will get you a nice set of 5.11 BDUs and a little more will get you good boots.

One thing to consider, the BDUs and Boots (if purchased correctly) will actually provide a level of BSI. I know my pants and boots are BSI rated so I dont have to worry much on "messy" calls.

As was said, to be taken seriously, dress professionally :thumbsup:

For class, I just bought the cheap stuff. A pair of dickies, a plain white button down shirt, and a $20 pair of black boots from walmart. Even if you plan on getting into EMS, you don't know what their uniform will be exactly. IMO, just don't wear something with frills/ extra strings for decoration that could get caught on something or pulled if you get a violent patient.

plus if you play your cards right you could write off the cost of the uniforms on your taxes. Consult a qualified tax attorney or accountant. Since this is a career change you should be able to write this stuff off.

The best advice I can give you is "dress for the job you want, not the job you have" (can't recall the correct citation for that one). Wear exactly what you've been told is appropriate by the person arranging your ride-along. If you need any clarification as to what's appropriate that's who you need to ask.

That said. I would suggest 5.11 work pants to anyone. The rip-stops are excellent and survive my work life better than anything else I've used. Best of luck to you as you start out.

Don't be "that guy".

You know, the one that shows up in jeans and tennis shoes for a professional training experience. It is disrespectful to the agency and to your preceptors, and reflects poorly on the training institution as well. It speaks volumes of your attitude, professionalism, and commitment if you cannot even get a $15 pair of black pants at Target and a plain $20 pair of black boots. Invest the tiny amount of cash it takes to look like you belong there.

'zilla

Don't be "that guy".

You know, the one that shows up in jeans and tennis shoes for a professional training experience. It is disrespectful to the agency and to your preceptors, and reflects poorly on the training institution as well. It speaks volumes of your attitude, professionalism, and commitment if you cannot even get a $15 pair of black pants at Target and a plain $20 pair of black boots. Invest the tiny amount of cash it takes to look like you belong there.

'zilla

But don't let that keep you from wearing Spiderman Underoos!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Bad advice to buy BDUs without knowing where you're going to work, first. Come dressed in them here and you might get marked. Just follow the instructions or ask your teachers!

Edited by AnthonyM83