GPS on the ambulance

PCP

If you're in the US, and don't have a digital odometer; or an odometer with a decimal and tenth.. You'll need a GPS by 1/1/2011. Just got a letter on Wednesday stating that Medicare will be paying to the tenth of a mile, so a navigation system will be necessary in some instances. We're just going to use the "Trip" setting, but there has been a GPS in place for at least eight to ten years. Both mobile and portable versions, as we do A LOT of search/rescue incidents. Likewise, a lot less people/hunters/hikers are getting lost b/c GPS has caught on with them too. We use them when going to hospitals that we do not commonly transport to.

As for local use, it's so rural that it makes maps unnecessary. Of course, due to a federally mandated address change (we had 'Star Routes', Rural Routes and Rural Free Delivery before) we don't have exact maps available for every unit. Just photo copies of our primary coverage...and the GPS units can't be updated till that company updates their system. Though we utilize a per-structure, and zoned emergency locator mapping system that has been in place for over fourteen years, and works great. Too bad there isn't money to keep it up to date with new builds.

• 5 months later...

Reminds me of the AllState insurance commercial where the "mayhem" guy is the gps system. He says turn left NOW and the driver turns into oncoming traffic on a one way.

As long as you know the limitations of the GPS system, you shouldbe fine. Get a good map.

I'm in Baltimore this week and most of the GPS turn by turn directions from Garmin are off by about 300-500 feet if not .2 of a mile or so.

The hotel I was going to had me turn into a government parking lot necessitating me that in order to get back out I had to undergo a security check of the vehicle I was in. I had no proof of insurance as the insurance for the car was in my companies name and I don't carry that policy or insurance card with me. It took me 20 additional minutes to get out of the parking lot I inadvertently drove into. Sheesh.

Know the equipments shortcomings and you won't be unduly surprised.

Have a map as backup to the GPS.

FYI, the automatic GPS system installed on all FDNY vehicles is to assist the Computer Assisted Dispatch computer reccommend the closest unit, or find an EMS crew straying too far from the assigned street corner they're supposed to "stage" at between calls.

We have MDTs in our trucks. Once we get a call and go enroute on the computer the address gets crossed over to the mapping program in the computer. Since this is the same county has, then we have what they have, as far as maps. It will give us turn by turn, updated as we go, and also give us ETA and any road closures that have been reported. Works well, so far.

• 1 month later...

My company uses Zoll RescueNet Nomad in our trucks which shows us a map with our current position and our destination. Our current software cannot give turn by turn directions. For directions we have map books that are turn by turn directions to all of the streets in our response area. Most employees carry a GPS with them, I personally don't get mine out unless I go on an out of town transfer, and usually its not for the directions but rather the traffic information and just keeping track of how much more time to the destination. We are supposedly getting the upgraded MDT from Zoll that does give the user turn by turn directions, not holding my breath for it though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.