Also in Michigan, considering getting into EMS

MattW

Hello,

I'm glad I found this site. I guess I might be unusual among people considering going into EMS. I am 29, and since graduating high school, I got an undergrad degree and went to law school, practiced as a lawyer for less than a year, and found out it wasn't for me, I returned to school to get my teaching certificate, worked as a substitute teacher for a year and now teach middle school, and am also not happy. A friend of mine suggested I go to EMS academy last summer (when I was still looking, apparently in vain, for teaching jobs), and lately, I haven't been able to shake the thought. I like the idea of helping people, as well as the excitement and variety of things I will see during an EMS shift. I must also say, though, that the idea of a workday that has a definite start-and-end time, even if extremely long, is appealing to me. I am not squeamish and also am focused and confident that I can complete the program. I understand the pay is low, especially to begin. I guess my main questions are?

1) Will completing the EMT program at a community college truly prepare me for what I am going to be expected to do as an EMT?

2) What are job prospects for EMT's in the metro Detroit area?

3) How out of place am I going to be in this field, given my age and background?

4) Is it practice for ambulance companies to offer ride-alongs to those considering entering a program, or is that something that is done once you are in?

If anyone has any answers to the above, I would truly appreciate it. I look forward to participating more in this forum.

Hello,

I'm glad I found this site. I guess I might be unusual among people considering going into EMS. I am 29, and since graduating high school, I got an undergrad degree and went to law school, practiced as a lawyer for less than a year, and found out it wasn't for me, I returned to school to get my teaching certificate, worked as a substitute teacher for a year and now teach middle school, and am also not happy. A friend of mine suggested I go to EMS academy last summer (when I was still looking, apparently in vain, for teaching jobs), and lately, I haven't been able to shake the thought. I like the idea of helping people, as well as the excitement and variety of things I will see during an EMS shift. I must also say, though, that the idea of a workday that has a definite start-and-end time, even if extremely long, is appealing to me. I am not squeamish and also am focused and confident that I can complete the program. I understand the pay is low, especially to begin. I guess my main questions are?

1) Will completing the EMT program at a community college truly prepare me for what I am going to be expected to do as an EMT?

3) How out of place am I going to be in this field, given my age and background?

4) Is it practice for ambulance companies to offer ride-alongs to those considering entering a program, or is that something that is done once you are in?

If anyone has any answers to the above, I would truly appreciate it. I look forward to participating more in this forum.

I'm going to presume that you're thinking of attending OCC or WCCC?

The EMT-B program through a community college is going to be pretty much the same no matter where you go.

Any idea which company you're planning on applying to after completion?

I used to work in the Metro area, so I know a couple things....

LS

Hello,

Attorney to EMS? That'll be a pay cut, but I guess you can't put a price on happiness. After you are in the business for awhile, maybe combine the 2 careers? We always need more legal experts in the field.

Anyway as Lone Star said, we have a few former and current Detroit area folks who could point you in the right direction.

Out of place? Not at all. Folks of all ages are doing this job- some new, some older, but 29 is NOT old for the profession.

Many places DO offer ride alongs for civilians- just ask. Usually all it takes is signing a waiver.

Welcome to the city, and good luck.

Folks of all ages are doing this job- some new, some older, but 29 is NOT old for the profession.

Herbie's right,

I was 28 when I got into the Fire Department, and I was 30 when I started EMT classes (the first time). I'm now 46 and working on my Associates Degree in paramedicine.

I'm going to presume that you're thinking of attending OCC or WCCC?

The EMT-B program through a community college is going to be pretty much the same no matter where you go.

Any idea which company you're planning on applying to after completion?

I used to work in the Metro area, so I know a couple things....

LS

I called all the companies I could find in the Detroit area last summer...none said they were hiring. Now I am told by a friend in the business (Who used to work for Universal, and is now at a hospital) that companies are hiring now, but according to the websites only Community EMS is announcing openings for EMT-B's. I'm not going to start a program until this summer...so there is some time. Do some Detroit-area companies have better reputations than others?

I called all the companies I could find in the Detroit area last summer...none said they were hiring. Now I am told by a friend in the business (Who used to work for Universal, and is now at a hospital) that companies are hiring now, but according to the websites only Community EMS is announcing openings for EMT-B's. I'm not going to start a program until this summer...so there is some time. Do some Detroit-area companies have better reputations than others?

Send me an offline message with all the companies you've contacted, and I'll fill you in on what I know

LS

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.