Tired of transport...

BoCat9

My system does both IFT and 911 county-wide. Most of us hate getting IFT but it's also a welcome break after your third time in 3 hours cleaning up bodily fluids from your ambulance... We have units that are dedicated IFT and only get a 911 if they happen to right around the corner, and we have 911 trucks that only get an IFT if there happens to be one coming out of the hospital they just transported to. I would imagine this is pretty common with just about every system status PUM out there.

The right system is out there.

• 1 month later...

I would highly recommend that you consider either applying with a busy 911 service or that you consider applying with a company that does both critical care transports & routine transports or maybe even applying with an ER, sometimes a change of pace is good.

• 3 weeks later...

If Timmonsville is in SC , I would suggest applying to Charleston County EMS. You can be working in a month. I know, because they have a lot of turnover, and hire often. You just need a pulse and a patch, and be able to pass their entrance exam. I didn't care for their mandatory OT policies, their leave policy, and the place is clicky. You should get some good experience there, though. They RSI, and they have every type of environment from rural (McClellanville/Awendaw), suburban (Mt. Pleasant, James Island), t urban (Charleston City). I would also apply to MUSC and Roper hospitals at the same time, on a per diem basis. You'll get good IFT experience. A firend of mine at Roper moved up to the admin position of EMS Liason at Roper last year. If you find CCEMS to not be your cup of tea, you can drop down to per diem after making crew chief, and then go FT at one of the hospitals. If you have to do IFT, you generally get treated much better, with superior working conditions, benefits, etc. than you will see in the privates. There's no comparison.

If you're a little more adventurous, apply to Alexandria Fire and EMS in VA. They're hiring single role medics this Oct. Their schedule is 24/48/24/96. You only work two days out of every eight! FD quality benefits. You can live several hours away from there if you want, since you commute less than twice a week.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, come to WA State @ Lifeline. We do both 911's and local and long distant transports.

As an EMT we do alot of ITA's and transports with ALS. This includes going to pretty much every city in the state.

I've been an EMT for almost two years, dont' mind the transports so much, but ITA's really suck! Plus 90% of our job is transports.

I have actually started working with a county service and I really enjoy it. I still work at the transport company part time, but I don't feel nearly as stressed as I did. I have also switched partners. It's not a permanent solution, I know, but it will work for the time being. Thanks for the advice, everyone.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

If transporting grandma back and forth for 5 years messes you up this much you really should find a different line of work.

I'm a 911 veteran, and as any 911 medic will tell ya....it's mostly bullshit. How are you gonna handle that?

You are having nightmares...you should find a nice office job bro!

I understand how much IFTs suck, I was just very lucky to get hired at a FD soon after I got my medic. I did IFT the 1 year as an EMT before I got my medic.

I never understood the people who waste way on the IFT rigs. Best to go test at FD's and do 911 ALS imo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.