I'm a little embarassed by asking this

BrianaLynn

Now that I have passed, what am I supposed to do? Is it different for every state? Do I register with the county, or do I find a job, or a volunteer position and then register? I've tried to look it up, and it must be obvious, but honestly I'm completely confused.

I live in California.

Edited by BrianaLynn

First off do not be embarrassed about asking this question I had the same problem when I first became an EMT but I wasn't a member of this site yet so I didn't have anyone to ask I stumbled and bumbled through it. Good on you for using your resources.

So my first question is you say you passed but do you mean you passed your course or the NREMT?

If you passed your NREMT then you can start filling out the forms for your back ground check as well as your EMT-B Certification. I would not start actively looking for a job until you have that because most companies will not even look at your application if it does not have certification numbers on there. First before you do any of the paperwork read this new announcement. EMT Certification Notice

Step One is to obtain and complete all the requisite forms for your EMS Agency which in Sacramento would be SacEMSA. This will include an application for Certification as well as a request for a live scan. The forms can be found as a series of links at the bottom of this post.

Step Two Take the DOJ and FBI Request for Live Scan Services form to a local Live Scan Operator. See List linked below.

Step Three Take all other forms to the SacEMSA office See map link below.

Step Four WAIT.

EMT Certification Application Form

DOJ and FBI Request for Live Scan Services

List of Live Scan Operators in Sacramento County

Map of Sacramento County Office of Emergency Medical Services

Edited by TylerHastings

FAIL on your instructor for not covering this in class!

While I do agree CBEMT I think it might be a little bit more productive to educate this person rather than just bash on the instructor. I mean after all not everyone can have a kick ass top notch think of everything instructor.

FAIL on your instructor for not covering this in class!

I actually did have awesome instructors, and I remember them talking about it .I probably was studying while they were talking or I comprehended what they said and just forgot about it since, I didn't take the NREMT, for a long time after. So it's more of a FAIL at me for not being a good student and not paying attention.=]

• Like 2

I actually did have awesome instructors, and I remember them talking about it .I probably was studying while they were talking or I comprehended what they said and just forgot about it since, I didn't take the NREMT, for a long time after. So it's more of a FAIL at me for not being a good student and not paying attention.=]

+1 for admitting that it might have been a mistake on your part. Now that you have the knowledge hope to see ya on the streets some time.

• Like 1

While I do agree CBEMT I think it might be a little bit more productive to educate this person rather than just bash on the instructor. I mean after all not everyone can have a kick ass top notch think of everything instructor.

Top-notch kickass instructor shouldn't even be an issue- no EMT student should finish a class without having the information necessary to obtain their license from the appropriate agency.

I agree that it was a stand-up move to admit some culpability though. Good on you Briana. Now go find out from somebody who knows! Random people on the internet- even on an EMS site- are of little to no help in your situation.

Edited by CBEMT

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.