Any videos available?

BHDave

Does anyone out there know of any sources for "real" footage of problems that EMTs face? Such as examples of what diaphoretic, cyanotic etc look like? Perfect examples would be small downloadable videos that might be able to be put into a powerpoint presentation?

The AAOS put out a VHS series a few years back that shows real footage of actual patient calls. I have seen other real footage in programs such as PEPP, PALS, NALS, etc. Another thing to look at could be 24/7 EMS. Although they do not do real footage, they are acted with real paramedics and EMT's.

Just a couple of things to look at.

James

HIPPA would be the least of your concerns in that case. It is federal copyright laws you would need to be worried about. I am pretty sure that "Paramedics" is copyrighted and probably not really open to their work being used without permission.

Touché, Dustdevil. We had an instructor that did use part of their footage from the one when there is a tornado and there are hundreds of people in the gymnasium with only 1-2 medics. If I recall (and I might be wrong...it's been known to happen) he did get authorization from DHC to use their material. I have an e-mail out to him to see if 1) he still has the material and 2) he did get approval to use their material. As soon as I hear back, I will post his reply.

PALS used to have some informative slides with pictures of kids in breathing crisis, that really displayed the problems.

Please tell me you are NOT referring to that film with the baby showing the ribs on each inhalation, during "retractive breathing?" It seems the crew working that call, in the ER, if memory serves me correctly, don't do anything during almost a full 60 seconds, for that child!

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I teach in Southern California. I use the TV show from Discovery Channel, "Paramedics". It's the "COPS" of EMS. I tell my students to focus on the patients condition NOT the care being provided. Also, 24-7 EMS (www.24-7e,s.com) has some really good videos, that are very consistent with NSC objectives. Hope this helps.

JK.