Forum negativity towards the job has me concerned

Mazrin

Hi, everyone.

Little bit of background:

I recently graduated from college with a degree I'm not really interested in using. Not interested in an office job (23 year old male). Police / Fire / EMS was always something that sort of sat in the back of my mind as something I'd really like to do.

I first decided on police. I got hired by the State Police and went to the academy. It was there that my first naive mistake was made. I went into police hoping to be someone that helps people, does something meaningful and rewarding, etc. Turns out the profession and the people in it are too aggressive for my personality (not saying anything bad, it seems like you need it to do what they do, it just wasn't a good fit for me). I left that. No longer interested in pursing a law enforcement job.

So, I took up a job doing security (Was easy to get. Needed something to not be stagnant). living back home again for a bit to recoup, figure out what I want to do. I toyed with a number of things, and eventually decide to go for EMT-B, and then after some experience, get my Medic.

Taking the (emt-B) class and loving it. This stuff is really, really interesting. Instructors are cool, I'm currently #1 in the class, and feel I have a talent for it. I don't just memorize answers, I actually really like learning all the "why's" and "hows" behind all the signs and symptoms and stuff. Even if I did nothing with this certification, I'm having fun getting it.

Then I find these forums, and read some pretty discouraging posts about how awful this job is, how you can't possibly make a living off the pay, relationships are doomed, etc etc.

In my state EMT-Bs avg out at about $16/hr, P's start around $20 avg at about $24+/hour.

Maybe that's >average? Seems like enough money for a 23 year old who tends to live modestly. If I go for medic, the $20+/hour seems like enough as well. I'm not looking to make big bucks, just looking to live comfortably and be content in my work.

To make a ling story short, what's your take?

Think the job is awful? -Then why are you still doing it?

Good but pay sucks when you're starting a family / trying to buy a house, etc? -What's a good career to transition into?

Any success stories?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and if you do, the time to respond. Feeling a little discouraged. Believe me, after the police thing, I certainly have more realistic expectations of what I'm getting into. I know it's not all excitement and glory and teary eyed "thank you"s. But man, the way some people here talk about it can be a real downer.

• Like 4

Not really much more to add. Lone Star and Dwayne both hit home runs so it's golf claps for both of you guys.

To the original poster, Mazrin:

ANY job or profession will have it's problems. Many people would think being an astronaut would be the coolest job ever. Then you hear how the training is so difficult, how the selection process for the missions is full of politics, long hours away from the family, and of course the potential danger.

You need to look at the whole picture- warts and all. A site like this has many viewpoints- we have old timers, new guys, young and old alike. Some are students who are just starting out in their careers, while others may already be retired. You take all those viewpoints, mix 'em up and come up with an opinion of your own. Any job is only as good as you make it. As long as you have realistic expectations, you like what you do, and are able to make an adequate living, that's all that matters.

• Like 1

I really wanted to post a grat motivational post here, but Lone, Dwayne, and Herbie beat me to it.

Mazrin, I worked in a different industry for a lot of years - something completely separate from EMS. I got to the point where I hated my job, I was destroying my health and home life with the long hours and stress, and every day I would wake up each day hoping I was too sick to go to work. I was as high up the food chain as I could go, without making a major move to a larger centre or sleeping with my boss (neither of which I was prepared to do!)

During the last 5 years of that career, I began working for a local vollie EMS service. As much as you see people on these forums hacking vollies (and there are areas where I have issues with vollies too) I am so glad that it gave me an opportunity to get kmy feet wet in EMS and realize that this is what I really wanted to do.

Five years ago, I took the leap to leave my other job, and get into EMS full time. That was the best decision I ever made. I love my job, I love what I do, and even on my worst days, it is nothing compared to the job I had previously.

There is negativity on these boards, partly because this is a good place for people to vent, where others will understand. It is also a place where people will tell you to put your big girl panties on and deal with it if you are over-reacting - that is one of the things I love about this place. This is also a place to learn, to make great friends, and to ask questions yhou may be afraid to ask somewhere else.

Your post was a great one - I hope to see you here often, and wish you all the best!

• Like 1

Good observation, I do not know why the people in our industry are the absolute most negative, gossiping, backstabbing set of folk in any industry, but we excel there. Whenever I hear it, I ask the simple question, "With the education you have right now, what other job could you do and make as much as you do ?" They use to answer construction, painting, landscaping, but that has all died in this economy, but when they answered that in the past, I would say great, quit and go do that, cause you are not doing anything here but bringing down morale.

There is an old joke that still rings true: Do you know what the difference is between a puppy and a paramedic ? Puppies quit whining after 6 weeks.

Edited by crotchitymedic1986

I'll do my best to offer a little bit of the other side. EMS is filled with people who don't like their jobs. Everyone seems to have their own particular reasons why, but I will just touch on a few of the common themes so that you can be a little better prepared. These aren't necessarily my personal feelings, but I think they are all pretty accurate.

1. As an EMT, and even more so as a medic, eventually at some point you will realize that you are at the bottom of the totem pole in a system that revolves around hierarchy. Worse, you will realize that you belong there. Medical training for prehospital providers is like a crash course. There is very little of the background, of the science, of the rigorous study that characterizes most serious medical training. Because we lack this, we are constantly at the tip of the iceberg, knowing just enough to get by but not enough to really understand. Depending on your personality and your background, this may bother you every day or never at all. There is no real solution to this problem but to leave EMS and go back to school, which quickly becomes less and less of an option as people get older and more tied down by debt and family obligations. The result is a large population of dissatisfied EMS workers with no real way out.

2. The rest of the medical community, as well as many EMS employers, recognize the deficiencies detailed above and treat EMTs/Paramedics with a constant disrespect. This manifests itself in many ways both big and small, from relative job insecurity ("you are not special, you can be replaced tomorrow no sweat") to nurses/doctors/medical staff who refuse to acknowledge the vital role we play in the continuity of care. Some of this can be relieved on a personal level by maintaining a good reputation, but this takes years of work and at the end of the day when the chips are down, you are still "just" an EMT or paramedic. You will be reminded of this at the worst time and it will make you feel like shit.

3. There is the constant threat of injury. This is a dangerous job that requires repetitive physical motion. Back, knee, and shoulder injuries are extremely common and often career-ending. If that happens you can count only on a pittance from workers-comp for a short period of time, and then ending up jobless with very few marketable job skills. What are you going to do at age 40 with a busted back and a high school education? Not much. I realize you have a college degree, which is great, but this is the reality for an overwhelming proportion of EMS workers. Believe me, this weighs heavily on the mind of any career EMS worker, and it isn't a pleasant thought.

4. We rarely save lives, and a lot of the time it takes some creativity and imagination to even see that we "made a difference" for our patients. The majority of what you do on the ambulance will be needless transport for barely injured or sick people who have no business on an ambulance nevermind a hospital. The ratio will change depending on where you work, but I would (generously) estimate that 20% of the patients I see have a legitimate need for my services. This reality differs dramatically from the expectations of the newly hired. Even if you "know" it's not going to be all blood and guts, I don't think you can truly appreciate how ridiculous the day-to-day can be. Some people are better at handling this than others, as lots of people will certainty attest to on this forum. I can tell you though, if you take a look at people with 15 and 20 years in this business (a small population to begin with), you will find VERY few people who aren't frustrated with this on a daily basis.

5. The pay isn't great, and unless you work for a fire service or the occasional 3rd service municipality, you can forget about a pension or retirement benefits other than a 401-k. $20 an hour may seem like a decent salary to you now, but that money gets eaten up QUICK with a mortgage, school loan payments, and a family. Unless you are extremely good at managing your money (and most aren't), you will likely come to rely on overtime hours, which will be inconsistent and take you away from home for more time than you'd like. I work with a lot of people who routinely pull 60-hour work weeks just to pay the bills, and once you get caught up in that kind of situation it is very difficult to pull yourself out.

There are others, but I think those are pretty much the "big 5." Education, respect, injury, B.S., and pay. You should know that this is, however, an extremely rewarding job. Working on an ambulance gives you opportunity to see things that you never would otherwise, and I think really gives you a perspective into life (and death) that very few people get. I don't think there is any other job out there like this, and those benefits shouldn't be ignored. I am very proud of my job and I am extremely glad that I decided to do it. That said, I'm working my butt off to get out.

Edited by fiznat
  • Like 3

Good observation, I do not know why the people in our industry are the absolute most negative, gossiping, backstabbing set of folk in any industry, but we excel there. Whenever I hear it, I ask the simple question, "With the education you have right now, what other job could you do and make as much as you do ?" They use to answer construction, painting, landscaping, but that has all died in this economy, but when they answered that in the past, I would say great, quit and go do that, cause you are not doing anything here but bringing down morale.

There is an old joke that still rings true: Do you know what the difference is between a puppy and a paramedic ? Puppies quit whining after 6 weeks.

I disagree about our industry being the worst for gossiping, etc. I used to work in the food service industry, and those folks can whine with the best of them. Long hours, sometimes lousy pay, dealing with the public, etc.

I do agree that we have a choice. Problem is, changing professions mid career is not easy, and certainly not for the faint of heart unless you have a really good back up plan. Most folks have families to support and bills to pay, and even a lousy paycheck or less than ideal working conditions are better than being unemployed.

I disagree about our industry being the worst for gossiping, etc. I used to work in the food service industry, and those folks can whine with the best of them. Long hours, sometimes lousy pay, dealing with the public, etc.

Agreed

Ever been in a nursing lounge?

Try the educational system

Don't forget those who care for people with challenges.

Oh... and the care home staff workers.

The only reason it is so apperant in EMS is because you are involved (and/or looking into being involved)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.