Plano 747 EMS Box

Just checking to see it anyone has pictures of a Plano 747 stocked with trauma supplies. I found some pictures on the web, but most were fuzzy. I just bought an old 747 at a city-wide yard sale for $5.00 and I'd like to use it as a trauma kit. It's not the orange-and-white EMS version, but oh well. Any help would be appreciated.

Check with either or both your local and state Departments of Health as to what is required to be carried. That, or simply stock the box as you see fit.

Wow, a 747. My VAC used one over 35 years ago. Soft sider types are a bit easier to carry, as they usually have a shoulder strap. However, as I seem to recall the box (non EMS marked) going for something like $50.00, if the plastic is unbroken, you got quite a bargan.

The only downside is the tiny compartments. That's why I like my Trauma II Box. It has divided trays, but they come out so just about anything will fit, as long as it's an inch or less tall. Even a roll of Kerlix will squash to an inch.

LMAO

Those 747 boxes aren't as rare as you might think. I know plenty of places that still use them- us included.

We STILL use those boxes for extra meds, as well as meds we do not use very often.

Yes, we also have a Peds Bag and a Quick Response bag, filled with first line cardiac drugs, and other commonly used treatments, as well as spares in our cabinet. I agree those compartments ARE too small, but we make do. We also have a lot more room in the 747's than we used to since we no longer carry D5/W, LR, AND .9 NaCL.

Still use them at one job as our primary drug box. They suck for that, I can't imagine using them for trauma. WTF, over? :huh:

Same here. MY service uses them for drug boxes in each of our units.

Now that youze guyz mentioned it, we physically broke out some of the tray dividers to hold the supplies we carried in the 747. Ours was intended as a tackle box, and it wasn't until a few years later I even saw a catalog picture of a Medical 747 box.

One of the medics at the college I teach at decided that we absolutely HAD to have the Plano kits for classroom use. I argued that for classroom use, they may not hold up to student abuse, to which he gave me the "I am a paragod and you are not" speech.

We don't use them at the service I work for (we have always had soft-side kits) and after a year with the Plano boxes, I am so happy I don't use them when I am on car. In a year, the students have broken so many pieces out of them, including broken hinges, slide out trays, and just about anything that is possible to break.

On the plus side, it enabled me to use the "I told you so" speech.....

Those of you that use soft-sides, what do you have? We're trying to put together some options for the powers that be.

This would be meds and med administration supplies only, not a dual-purpose first-in bag. Being able to keep meds in their original packaging (ie boxes) is a definite plus, since we exchange them prior to expiration at the hospital.

I should mention that we use a Pelican box at my other job, but I don't think this job would go for it.

Edited by CBEMT

Those of you that use soft-sides, what do you have? We're trying to put together some options for the powers that be.

This would be meds and med administration supplies only, not a dual-purpose first-in bag. Being able to keep meds in their original packaging (ie boxes) is a definite plus, since we exchange them prior to expiration at the hospital.

I should mention that we use a Pelican box at my other job, but I don't think this job would go for it.

We have used the Pacific Emergency Products A300 and A600 bags for years, but now that PEP has gone out of business, we are switching to Ferno bags as the PEP ones wear out.

I have always liked the A300 for carrying all the meds we use, and a lot of them can be left in the original boxes (epi, D50, adenosine, sodium bicarb...).

I can't remember the model # for the Fernos because I am not usually in a truck with the new kits, but next time I am on duty I will look.

As for expired meds, we have a monthly schedule where the crews working on the 25th of each month go through the med list for each ambulance and aircraft, note any meds that are or will be expired by the first of the next month, and then we place one order with the hospital pharmacy. The pharmacy sends them to our main office, and on the first of each month, the day crews exchange and restock the meds. This has worked well for us in making sure we don't have expired meds on car.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.