Spine Boards

Your BC is showing ;) . The clamshell most of us from BC refer to is a FERNO ScoopEXL. Excellent piece of kit and one of my personal favourites for many reasons.

as in the nice newish plastic bladed jobs

http://www.ferno.co.uk/product/scoop-65-exl

... they are pretty swish and address quite a few of the issues with metal scoops

I just realized something: A string from about a year ago had the idea that "scoops" were so infrequently used, they were collecting dust in their ambulance compartments. Something has obviously changed.

I just realized something: A string from about a year ago had the idea that "scoops" were so infrequently used, they were collecting dust in their ambulance compartments. Something has obviously changed.

Extensive use of "scoops" is very much a BC thing within North America. I'm currently on practicum in Calgary, Alberta where they still see very little use overall.

Scoop stretchers are friggin awesome, long board are old school, throw them away!

Don't throw them away entirely. They're still useful as an extrication device and for special packaging for long ground transports of spinal patients(don't worry kiwi I don't transport a patient on the LBB. Just a tool for packaging/extrication).

The scoop is just as old of a technology as the spine board. Remember there wasn't a real market for companies that solely targeted ambulances. So, unless you made the spine board yourself, it may have been hard to find before 1970. Ferno began with selling folding and short aluminum spine boards; and right about 1969/1970, the Orthopedic Stretcher was developed. Except, until 1975, it had a pillow, instead of another section of aluminum.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.