Spine Boards

<br>Always follow local protocol, as to not get fired!<br><br>For your reading pleasure: <a href="http://www.cadth.ca/media/pdf/htis/Scoop%20Stretcher%20for%20Restriction%20of%20Spinal%20Motion%20Clinical%20Effectiveness.pdf" class="bbc_url" title="External link" rel="nofollow">Scoop Immobilization</a><br>

Thanks for that link! Though I was afraid it was going to show the opposite. Intuitively I've always felt that pts rested more comfortably, and squirmed less on a scoop than on a traditional long board and that seems to be of significant benefit in these pts.

It seems like, though I could be wrong, that someone posted a study here a few years back that showed that the traditional LBB not only could, but does cause addl/increased injury to those with certain types of spinal compromise by forcing the injured area up against a hard surface, limiting circulation to the effected area as well as causing pts to struggle to remove contact with that area from the hard surface for comfort. It was that that actually caused me to become a bigger Scoop fan than I had in the past.

If I have to us a LBB now, I never use it if I can help it without folding a blanket in quarters and placing it on the board first. Protocol? Not sure exactly, but I've never been called on the carpet for it and it seems to make a big difference as to how my patients accept and cooperate with the board.

Dwayne

Edited to reformat only.

Edited by DwayneEMTP

In my own practice I strongly prefer to use the scoop type stretcher. For the most part I use a LBB solely as an extrication device and nothing else. Most of us have spent time on both either due to injury or in class. Which did you find more comfortable? Which made you more likely to squirm around? Evidence supporting traditional LBB spinal motion restriction is limited at best.

Our particular brand is Bac-Pak, w/ factory lettering and a unique color that stands out. So we can spot who steals it, and return the favor. B)

I don't really know about that. Boards sometimes travel great distances. I have seen boards in the "recovered equipment" closets, where reusable hardware like the LBBs are stored until the service that owns them can pick them up from the ER, after the patient is removed from them, with service labels and lettering from as far away as the midwest (remember that my local ERs are in a somewhat isolated area of NYC).

We use the scoop over the board if possible. It easier to hold and lift and if you were gloves while lifting you will get a better grip. The down fall of the scoop is using it on soft surfaces, it dosnt like to clip or unclip with ease but you soon figure out how to do it.

:showoff:

Who makes the best spine boards, and what makes them the best? What features do they offer that others do not?

Two pages and nobody's answered the question yet.

We use Iron Duck. They're a little heavy, but sturdy. They've got plenty of quick-clip pins for just about any size/shape of patient. Excellent weight capacity.

My other choice would be BaXstrap.

To be fair, neither did you!

What features do they offer that others do not?

Please see my post for clear concise differences between the common boards that are used in my area, complete with pictures.

Which is best?? Well since there is no studies realdily available, I have no frickin idea..... Unless you want to count that one study I posted

That is the problem with this forum lately, everyone is on the attack. Who the hell wants to spend time creating quality posts only to be put-down by a keyboard hero. Wonder why the post counts are down?

Edited by mobey

That is the problem with this forum lately, everyone is on the attack. Who the hell wants to spend time creating quality posts only to be put-down by a keyboard hero. Wonder why the post counts are down?

Yeah, screw you....

I think they're coming back. We seem to go through waves of crazy stuff, but ultimately the folks like you, or Wendy, or Herbie get folks refocused and back on the right track....

But we do need folks creating more interesting thread topics I think. I've been racking my brain for the last few weeks and still can't come up with much that gets the blood flowing. But if we all focus, all will once again be right with the world.

Dwayne

Edit. I have noticed that we have some newer BLS and medic student members that have cast iron balls/ovaries and jump in no matter the bullshit comments! They have come to learn and they will not be denied...Man, I love that a lot. These folks to me, are at least as important as our members that are able to teach...God bless em.

Edited by DwayneEMTP

It's not really a question that has a single answer to be honest. I've served in positions as supply officer; and I've been a distributor and business owner. The best product, is the one with the best manufacturer warranty. The life of EMS equipment is short. If someone appears to be quite obese, you're not going to want to put them on a standard board. If you're using wood, you'll have infection control issues, if it breaks, you're going to have a whole lot of shit hitting the fan. Some have a lot of pros, they may float, you can steam them w/o melting, you can hoist them in technical rescue. I'm not dropping any names, per se, b/c I have no specific preference. Iron Duck, ProBoard, BakPak, Life Support Products, Dolphin Board, Dyna-Med, Ferno, Laerdal, Hartwell, Miller, Junkin, et al. Find one with a fair price, holds at least 500lbs and has at least a five year warranty, and you're golden.

• 3 weeks later...

we use the clamshell 99% of the time and a spine board the other 1% of the time for extracation of a pt from a vehicle. At the mine site where I work as a first aider I have the ability to use the clamshell or the spine board. In most cases when I am called underground I use the spine board, but when on surface I use the clamshell just because when underground when called for an emergency when I arrive the workers already have a spine board there for me, as well as I find it easier to use a spine board on uneven ground compared to when working on ambulance I am usually working on a flat surface where a clamshell is ideal :icecream:

I am not sure what brands are the best, but I would have to say Ferno is probably the most popular brand out there.

we use the clamshell 99% of the time

Your BC is showing ;) . The clamshell most of us from BC refer to is a FERNO ScoopEXL. Excellent piece of kit and one of my personal favourites for many reasons.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.