Flail chest. Wanna see?

DwayneEMTP

IOf this has been stated already I apologize, but i didn't have time to go through the 40 some replies. First off, great video!

Second off, the stabalization of the wound with a liter bag, sandbag, or any other bag is a big no no now. PHTLS in its newest version states that no stabilzation should be used. Just BVM and ABCs. Thanks

FireEMT2009

IOf this has been stated already I apologize, but i didn't have time to go through the 40 some replies. First off, great video!

Second off, the stabalization of the wound with a liter bag, sandbag, or any other bag is a big no no now. PHTLS in its newest version states that no stabilzation should be used. Just BVM and ABCs. Thanks

FireEMT2009

Hey can you post the reference and their justification here? Truly curious, not busting your chops brother.

Dwayne

Hey can you post the reference and their justification here? Truly curious, not busting your chops brother.

Dwayne

PHTLS 7th edition textbook page 298 states:

"Efforts to stabalize the flail segment with sandbags or other means that may further compromise chest wall motion and, thus, ventilation are contraindicated."

We had to bring this to the attention of my program director because no one realized that update that went through the old PHTLS until we read the chapter on thoracic trauma. Thought I would share the information in case it hadn't been brought forward or in case ya'll didn't know.

Thanks

FireEMT2009