Strange habits

HERBIE1

Something EMTANNIE mentioned made me think. She spoke of her disdain for the habit of chewing on a pen while working. Obviously not a good idea. So I started to think- what odd habits have I developed over the years?

For some reason, early on when I started an IV, I would remove the angio from the pouch, take off the plastic sheath to the catheter, and put that sheath in my mouth before I started the IV. Just a nervous habit ffrom when I was new I guess, but it stuck with me. I finish whatever else I am doing, and just before I make the call to medical control, I throw it away. Still do it to this day. Odd, but since it's sterile, I see no real harm other than the fact that it's some weird oral fixation I have. LOL

Another IV habit- after I start an IV, I remove the needle and put my foot over it- whether it's on the floor of the rig, the house, or the sidewalk. It started as a way to keep track of my sharps, and to keep myself or anyone else from getting a needle stick. As soon as the IV site is secure, I pick up the needle and put it in a sharp box. It started when there were no such thing as safety angiocatheters with retractable needles, but I continue this habit today.

So- what odd habits do you folks have?

Dont know if its a strange habit but I always put a piece of tape on my leg to write on before I get out of the rig. I started doing this in class as a way of taking notes during exercises and just made the leap to vitals on calls.

Dont know if its a strange habit but I always put a piece of tape on my leg to write on before I get out of the rig. I started doing this in class as a way of taking notes during exercises and just made the leap to vitals on calls.

Yeah, I do that too. If I don't have scratch paper handy, sometimes I run a couple second strip on the monitor and use that, or, I simply grab a piece of 2 inch tape- especially with multiple victims- to get data for a radio report.

I started the habit in the ER when I would vital a patient and not have a Triage note handy.

I find that Screaming loudly at the top of my lungs prior to entering a scene rendered safe by PD is a way to let them know I'm coming and I'm no one to be messed with. Sort of like the battle cry of the ambulance service.

but seriously

I don't think I have many annoying habits (my wife can probably find a couple) but one of the most obvious is I chew my fingernails. NASTY Habit but hey, it's a nervous habit. I only chew them after I've washed my hands.

also a nail chewer as bad as it is. It doesn't matter if it's an intense trauma or just a Dehydrated person. Whenever I spike an IV bag, I take the plastic cover off the Spike and chew on it the entire call. Spit it out in the trash as I get ready to exit the ambulance. Not sure Why I do that, just do haha.

I find that Screaming loudly at the top of my lungs prior to entering a scene rendered safe by PD is a way to let them know I'm coming and I'm no one to be messed with. Sort of like the battle cry of the ambulance service.

Not strange at all. When we go into housing projects/drug houses, etc- usually dark, and "guarded" by gang bangers and their look outs, we would announce ourselves, just so they didn't confuse us with the police or a rival gang. Generally the "guards" would echo our calls, letting everyone know we were not the enemy, and to let us through. LOL

Whacker alert! Let 'er rip...I can take it... :-)

My last partner, who I miss terribly, and I worked the night shift and on each emergent response we'd play one of the two songs below...really loud! Forget the intended message of the lyrics and listen with an EMS slant. I think you'll get it. (Those equipped with a penis, and even some equipped with an innie instead of an outie, (Wendy, should that be innie/inny?) should you choose to explore the links, should do so the first time with your eyes closed.. I find that watching the videos seems to short out several vital brain functions on me and when It's ended I can't really remember if there were words or not... just sayin')

Pink U+UR Hand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqUtEXmSHfAhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqUtEXmSHfA

Dorky I know, but I did find that it put me in kind of a cocky, (in a good way), happy place, ready to face any call that came down the pipe.

I have a habit that tends to drive my partners a little batshit. Though I don't think of it as strange. When dispatched to an emergent call I get really relaxed and don't think of it at all. I think I developed it as a student, when I'd get all worked up over the dispatch report, try and think of everything, and then the actual call would have nothing at all to do with what we were dispatched to. So now, when I'm dispatched I just sort of zone with Pink while we drive to the call. If it's something that might be hinky my partner would say, "So, what do you think?" And I'd answer, "about what?" To which he'd reply, "You're such an asshole." I wasn't really trying to be an asshole, I just truly have no opinion on a call until we get at least close enough to see how much commotion is occurring outside.

Other than a few superstitions, that's about all I can think of...

Dwayne

Whacker alert! Let 'er rip...I can take it... :-)

My last partner, who I miss terribly, and I worked the night shift and on each emergent response we'd play one of the two songs below...really loud! Forget the intended message of the lyrics and listen with an EMS slant. I think you'll get it. (Those equipped with a penis, and even some equipped with an innie instead of an outie, (Wendy, should that be innie/inny?) should you choose to explore the links, should do so the first time with your eyes closed.. I find that watching the videos seems to short out several vital brain functions on me and when It's ended I can't really remember if there were words or not... just sayin')

Pink U+UR Hand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqUtEXmSHfAhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqUtEXmSHfA

Dorky I know, but I did find that it put me in kind of a cocky, (in a good way), happy place, ready to face any call that came down the pipe.

I have a habit that tends to drive my partners a little batshit. Though I don't think of it as strange. When dispatched to an emergent call I get really relaxed and don't think of it at all. I think I developed it as a student, when I'd get all worked up over the dispatch report, try and think of everything, and then the actual call would have nothing at all to do with what we were dispatched to. So now, when I'm dispatched I just sort of zone with Pink while we drive to the call. If it's something that might be hinky my partner would say, "So, what do you think?" And I'd answer, "about what?" To which he'd reply, "You're such an asshole." I wasn't really trying to be an asshole, I just truly have no opinion on a call until we get at least close enough to see how much commotion is occurring outside.

Other than a few superstitions, that's about all I can think of...

Dwayne

I think a lot of people have "theme songs". Ours was just as corny as yours.

This was ours- "Ride of the Valkyries" We used to play this over the PA as we began to roll on a call: You would not believe the looks we got from anyone nearby. LMAO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx7XNb3Q9Ek

Holy shit Herb, if it's good enough for you then I don't feel like such a dork!

That song is awesome! And part of epic movie making....

Dwayne

My partner brought a tape(yes, a tape- it was awhile ago. LOL) of that song one day and wanted to play it. It became our theme song.

Every time I hear that song now, I think of those times and not the movie.

Some of my fondest/craziest/scariest memories I have in this business are from back then. We saw so much crap but really learned the job.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.