Ambulance Goes off Cliff

We don't necessarily know the individuals, the service they work or volunteer for, or where it is in the world, but anytime one of us passes in the Line Of Duty, we all feel it.

Rest In Peace, my friends.

rock_shoes: Do you have a email contact so that members of this EMT community can forward their professional condolences to the families and colleague's ?

The best I can do for now is link to the contact information for the Vancouver Island regional office and the Provincial office (confidentiality reasons of course). I would expect HR or Public Relations will set up some kind of mail collection for such things over the next few days.

Vancouver Island

Provincial

With Permission from editor Michel McKay editor Paramedic Network News:

** BC medics killed in Tuesday ambulance crash identified

CANADA NEWS

** The two BC paramedics killed Tuesday in an ambulance crash near Tofino have been identified as Jo-ann Fuller and Ivan Polivka. That is the word from the Vancouver Sun (Cindy E. Harnett/October 20)

http://www.vancouversun.com/health/ambulance+paramedics+plunge+into+Kennedy+Lake/3698160/story.html

which said the duo, who worked EMS part time, were both long standing members of the service. Leaving West Coast Hospital in Port Alberni around 4:30 a.m., search efforts began around 7:30 a.m. when the two did not arrive back in Tofino. Police used cell phone information to trace the EMS unit to a narrow cliff road beside Kennedy Lake. Road marks and a debris field led investigators to the spot where the ambulance had plunged some 60 metres into the water. Police divers were called to the site. The bodies, which were found still inside the vehicle, were recovered at about 3 p.m. The BC Coroner’s Office, the RCMP, and Worksafe BC are investigating.

I am informed that PAC representatives will be in attendance as will the Alberta College Of Paramedics I suspect Dave McLean the leader of Guard of Honor EDM to show respects and solidarity of EMS across Canada for the lost of our Brother and Sister in this LODD.

in solidarity

late edit ... if any member would wish to donate a couple of bucks for a memorial again PM and any member from across Canada ... I can pick up in Vancouver Airport and transport, flights into Victoria will not work well, one need's to ferry from Tsawwassen (Vancover) then express to Nanaimo is the only way to go.

Edited by tniuqs

From CUPE website

Memorial Service for Fallen Tofino Paramedics Set for November 6

Memorial arrangements have been finalized for Jo-Ann Fuller and Ivan Polivka, the two Tofino ambulance paramedics who were killed in an accident earlier this week. The memorial service will take place at 1 pm on Saturday, November 6 at Wickaninnish Community School in Tofino.

Arrangements for media intending to cover the memorial will be finalized soon.

For more information, please contact

William (BJ) Chute

Director - Public Education

Ambulance Paramedics of BC

CUPE loc. 873

Cell: 604.218.6169

The family of fallen paramedic Jo-Ann Fuller today released the following statement:

“We want to thank everyone for their overwhelming support and respect for our privacy during this impossible time. Mom (Jo-Ann) was so well loved, and it shows with all the support we have been receiving. Her commitment to her family, her job and the community was evident in all she did. Being a paramedic was not just a job, it was her passion.

“Our hearts go out to the Polivka family. He was a wonderful man and will be greatly missed. Again, we just want to thank everyone for the love they are sending. We wouldn’t be able to get by without it.”

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.