Ammonia Inhalants, A.K.A. "Smelling Salts"

Bieber

I used an ammonia inhalant tonight on a patient who was extremely lethargic. Found sleeping in her car by some people way out in the county, sheriff's officers had her in the back of their cruiser when we showed up. I tried multiple times to speak to her so we could get some information on what had happened (she had multiple prescription meds + presumed illegal drugs found on her person), and while she was oriented x3, she was just so quiet and lethargic and unwilling/unable to wake up enough to talk to me much that I couldn't hardly get anything out of her. Used an inhalant to get her awake enough so that she could talk to me and tell me if she had taken an overdose of her prescription meds/illegal drugs (which she denied), and then let her sleep on the way in. In this case, I wasn't trying to be a jerk, but I needed to get some information out of her and my repeated attempts to rouse her verbally had failed.

Also, on another note, my IV success rates are sucking lately. I'll get good flash, but when I try to advance I meet resistance. Help? With her, I can at least blame it on her veins being scarred (multiple scars on her arms suggestive of IV drug use), but I don't know how long I can count on that excuse--and there's no excuses for missing an IV to begin with!

-Bieber

There are a few individuals who are special you could say, who actually snort bath salts. Yes,epsom salt. And apparently it produces quite an intense high,and it's relatively cheap too. I don't think this is something new,but when I heard about this particular call a buddy went on, it was new to my ears,but not suprising. Atleast something like this is more natural than drinking nail polish remover lol

• 1 year later...

When is it acceptable to use smelling salts on someone who has Cataplexy

Did I miss something in this thread? where is the patient with cataplexy?

I didn't see anyone who fit the description below. But let's also not confuse cataplexy in humans with epilepsy in cats ok :clown:

Definition of cataplexy -

cat·a·plex·y
ˈkatəˌpleksē/
noun
  1. 1.
    a medical condition in which strong emotion or laughter causes a person to suffer sudden physical collapse though remaining conscious.
Edited by Captain ToHellWithItAll

I've never had occasion to use them. There are other methods we can utilize if we suspect that the patient is faking unconciousness, like scraping the bottom of the feet, brushing the eyelashes and the 'hand drop' tests. I've heard stories from other crews about how they picked up a drunk during their shift and popped 3 or 4 of them into the NRB, and then laughed about how fast the patient 'came to'... Yeah, we've got to do things that will cause discomfort and even pain, but to intentionally do it is abuse. I've heard crew members talking about how they intentionally used the largest bore cath they had on a drunk, unlicensed pharmacist or the 'urban outdoorsman' just because they could. I find these practices appalling, and I'm utterly disgusted by those that feel the need to employ such tactics for their amusement! To me those tactics are inherited to lack of assessment skill. If the patient has a patent airway and decent vitals, no need to be invasive. I totally agree with you. Disgasting and embarrassing for the rest of us.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.