New Member, Quick Question

VBob

Hi, This is my first post here. I'll get right to it.

I retired early from a troubled airline. I spent 4 years as a realtor and 2 years as an over the road truck driver. (it was an adventure) All that time on the road I was wondering what I can do that is meaningful. My youngest daughter is beginning an emt, paramedic path as her career. I started thinking about this as a way to serve. Recently I had a good discussion with a neighbor who is an emt, paramedic with a local fire department and I am convinced that I would like to do this.

My question is, if I go through emt training, is there any real prospect for a 57 year old rookie to find a job. I know that the fire department won't hire me at my age. I take great care of myself physically and am strong and fit. I know if I ask the schools and private emt employers they will say yes because they have to. I figure that I can get a frank answer here. Thanks in advance.

VBob

Hi, This is my first post here. I'll get right to it.

I retired early from a troubled airline. I spent 4 years as a realtor and 2 years as an over the road truck driver. (it was an adventure) All that time on the road I was wondering what I can do that is meaningful. My youngest daughter is beginning an emt, paramedic path as her career. I started thinking about this as a way to serve. Recently I had a good discussion with a neighbor who is an emt, paramedic with a local fire department and I am convinced that I would like to do this.

My question is, if I go through emt training, is there any real prospect for a 57 year old rookie to find a job. I know that the fire department won't hire me at my age. I take great care of myself physically and am strong and fit. I know if I ask the schools and private emt employers they will say yes because they have to. I figure that I can get a frank answer here. Thanks in advance.

VBob

First, welcome to the city. Second, although your age may limit your employment choices- as you noted, most fire departments won't hire you- jobs are out there. Do some homework about salary, as the financial needs/wants of a 57 year old are quite different than those of a 20 year old. If you decide to follow through, do some ride time to get a feel for what the job is all about- you need to understand what the realities are vs any preconceived notion you may have. If you do get involved, it will be like a drug- addicting, and you never can get enough.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the replies. I realize the pay is not the best but that is not the issue. I had a long and rewarding career. I don't just want to work but I want to serve people. I just want to get started preparing for this but not if it would be a dead end. Now that I have some feedback from you all I can get really serious researching and preparing for it. The next available classes are coming up in January. When I do decide to do something I go all in so I can do a lot on my own before them.

Thanks again.

Welcome to the City !

Although age may disqualify you from working for a fire department, I say piss on them. I think your age/life experience would be a great asset to you being a paramedic, along with your customer service experience (as a lot of what we do is public interaction). Market yourself well stick around the City, you can learn a lot, and we will do our best to steer you in the right direction.

Matt

I had class mates as young as 18 and older than 50. Out of 40 something students 3-4 were older. I appreciated their wisdom and sense of humor, I never once got hit for saying anyone over 25 was a geriatric patient (wink). I'd work along side them any day.

Edited by DCP Whit
  • Like 1

I'd say go for it. I would start with the EMT-B as it is quicker to get. Than after working as an EMT-B and making sure the job is really what you want than go ahead and go for your paramedic if you want.

Age is just a number, right? lol

I was an EMT-B for 12 years. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I ended up in a position where my license expired and was faced with the arduous task of starting over.

I began this task at the age of 43 years old. I'm currently working on my Associates Degree in Paramedicine.

I've often been older than my instructors and preceptors, and definately won the title of 'oldest guy in the class'.

If you're physically able to do the duties that EMS entails, there is no reason why you shouldn't give it a shot.

I've also found that your patients will usually be more relaxed with you than with your younger partners. The general public automatically will assume that because you're older, you've been at this a lot longer than your younger partner. They will trust you more and be more relaxed with you.

NOTE: I am NOT implying in any fashion that the younger providers aren't knowledgeable and excellent providers!

If you are going to work before deciding to move on to Paramedic, might I suggest that you don't let yourself fall into the same trap that plagues a lot of us......we have every intention of getting a better education and moving 'up the ranks', but because we work so many hours, or whatever other reason, we find that we just don't make it back to school. Another 'drawback' of putting a lot of time in the field before moving up to Paramedic is that we increase the length of time to develop bad habits based on minimal education.

Furthermore, if you are serious about EMS and decide to pursue a career in EMS, I'd recommend getting your Associates Degree, simply because of the requirements for your degree. I have to take two additional Anatomy and Physiology courses as well as what they teach in 'the book'. Please, please, please, stay away from the 'patch mill schools'! Most are only geared to teaching you what you need to pass the test. 'Assembly line education' isn't always condusive to retention and understanding! You owe it to yourself and to your patients to get as much education as possible!

I think by now, you already know that we're going to be dealing with people who are sick, broken and bloody. If you know you've already got an aversion to this, then EMS might not be your 'cup of tea'. I've had too many new partners who were clueless as to what we face in the field, and they promptly left the field because they couldn't deal with what we face on a regular basis.

Lots more advice, thanks.

I am going to learn today what EMT-B means. The schools here in Georgia have an EMT basic and EMT intermediate. They told me that I would need intermediate to find any work.

I have had an Associates degree for years in electronics and have two additional years of college study. I worked for 24 years in technology and had the title of Network Engineer at the job I retired from. I studied and got certified as a Realtor and had my own business. I know its not relevant and the credit hours I got years ago won't transfer to any schools today. Just background.

I have played and coached contact sports for years and have seen my share of breaks, dislocations, cuts and concussions. I have had loved ones die in my arms. I expect I will see much worse but I am sure I have the stomach for it.

I am pretty sure the school is not a mill. It is part of the Georgia school system.

I agree that age is just a number but I am learning that most employers don't see it that way.

Thanks for the encouragement and advise everyone.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.