Moving Up The Chain

uglyEMT

Well it finally happened last night. At our monthly business meeting the nominations were read out for next years positions and officers.

I have long wanted the 1st Lieutenant officers position withing my squad. I have busted hump to show I can do it and tryed my best to learn from the previous one. He is stepping down to to time in the position, we try and rotate them every few years to get new blood and insight into them.

Last night when the names were called, to my surprise I was the nomination for the position:thumbsup: I had compition for the spot with another member but I guess the committee felt I was the better candidate.

Well now we get voted in then the induction dinner, yada yada yada. Then the fun begins time to go through ICS courses. Well its good anyways. I get my CEUs plus the ICS knowledge which always comes in handy as I recently found out (fire monkeys no offense but how many chiefs do you really need at a scene?) After ICS I have a few other CEUs our SOPs say I will need.

Well I just figured I would let you all know my excitment. Its 6hrs till duty shift and I have my probie with me tonight. Being I am in a good mood think I will "play" with him tonight:devilish:

Congrats on the promotion! Hopefully there's also a nice pay bump to go with the added responsibility.

Thanks. Means alot

LOL as my avatar says Im a Volly LOL My pay bump is a new plate changing from the squad name to part of the name and a 1st LT on it instead :thumbsup: also I go from a handheld radio to a car mounted :rolleyes: porcuepine anyone.

Its more of the responsiblity that I wanted. It was never about the pay. As a 1st LT I am in charge of supplies and the rigs. I finally get to take care of a few things that were bugging me. Nothing huge or major just anyoing to me LOL Plus after ICS and CBERN I will be placed on the OEM call list for MCIs. Get better connections with the LEOs and FD.

Its about the extra training and knowledge thats my pay bump. Before the ICS and CBERN plus one or two others would be out of pocket, now being part of my duty its covered by the squad so is the time away from duty.

Edited by UGLyEMT

Thanks. Means alot

LOL as my avatar says Im a Volly LOL My pay bump is a new plate changing from the squad name to part of the name and a 1st LT on it instead :thumbsup: also I go from a handheld radio to a car mounted :rolleyes: porcuepine anyone.

Its more of the responsiblity that I wanted. It was never about the pay. As a 1st LT I am in charge of supplies and the rigs. I finally get to take care of a few things that were bugging me. Nothing huge or major just anyoing to me LOL Plus after ICS and CBERN I will be placed on the OEM call list for MCIs. Get better connections with the LEOs and FD.

Its about the extra training and knowledge thats my pay bump. Before the ICS and CBERN plus one or two others would be out of pocket, now being part of my duty its covered by the squad so is the time away from duty.

Oops- missed the fact you were a volunteer. Well, hopefully the added responsibility and title will someday help you financially in some way.

Either way, good luck.

No problem Herbie :icecream:

Its all good. Hopefully once I am the 1st LT I can get things done and make myself and my squad better for it.

Any agency looking at a resume will see the supervisory position, and it might end up being the "marker" the agency is looking for, for their own supervisory personnel. I say that, with both paid and unpaid areas referred to.

I've had all of the NIMS courses, and twenty other similar FEMA courses, by virtue of a position with municipal emergency management. They're all boring as hell, often redundant, but a necessary speed bump.

• Like 1

I've had all of the NIMS courses, and twenty other similar FEMA courses, by virtue of a position with municipal emergency management. They're all boring as hell, often redundant, but a necessary speed bump.

I'm curious, how are the classroom NIMS courses? I'm gonna see if my new service will help me take them if they would be worth it. (I'm pretty interested in EM courses, so I've been debating it for a while)