Salary

medicgirl09

AK is right...if it weren't liveable, no one would do it. HOWEVER, you can't get in to this career for the money. You get in to it because you have the desire to make a difference. That's what will get you through the long shifts and sleepless nights. And, if you are in it for the right reasons...none of that makes any difference.

I got into it because I heard that all the chicks on ambulances were sluts, and would even sleep with ol' fat homely paramedics...THAT is what I was counting on to get me through...

That plan turned out to have several significant problems with it, so now I use exotic locations to get me through...Not exactly the same, well, ok, not in any way the same, but it aint bad!

As you've seen said here, it can be a livable wage depending on where you live and what you consider 'livable.'

Dwayne

• Like 1

I got into it because I heard that all the chicks on ambulances were sluts, and would even sleep with ol' fat homely paramedics...THAT is what I was counting on to get me through...

Quite comical, Dwayne. What's even funnier is how the show TRAUMA portrayed the female paramedic as you just described. Even funnier. I'm a new paramedic sitting on the couch with my husband of 25 years watching that the first time turning all shades of colors trying to explain to him that is NOT how we dress or act. :innocent:

Just got hired on by a city municipal EMS service and the pay is ok, definately not what RNs are making, but enough to live very comfortably in the area, especially since I'm single

Just got hired on by a city municipal EMS service and the pay is ok, definately not what RNs are making, but enough to live very comfortably in the area, especially since I'm single

Do I need to get Joe to post a warning to beware the single emt is on the loose? :devilish:

Unless they lowered the rate and if you don't factor in standby time the Paramedics used to get paid as good as many RN's in the area.

Edited by spenac

Do I need to get Joe to post a warning to beware the single emt is on the loose? :devilish:

Unless they lowered the rate and if you don't factor in standby time the Paramedics used to get paid as good as many RN's in the area.

Lol, I was more impressed with the scenery in Odessa when I went to talk to OC about their medic program :P

And as an EMT-I, with the stipends and if you count benefits, I easily make almost as much as a new grad floor nurse made in ABQ, and cost of living is less in Pecos :) Haven't talked to the RNs there yet, so not sure what kind of money they're making

I am a vollie so I work for free....

And that's why the U.S. continues to have low wages in EMS.

Why pay well, when people will do it for free.

New Alberta provincial wage starts at $29/hr for Paramedic ($40 after 8 yrs), $5 shift differentials on weekends/evenings, 2X Overtime..... must I go on.

• Like 3

Addressing the issue of finding a mate at work by nature of working with them, I met Lady J at my VAC, me an overweight, mid-European background Jewish EMT, she, a 100 pound Sicilian-American Roman Catholic "paper-pusher" who wasn't even a dispatcher at the time. Then it turned out, we had attended Junior High School together almost 20 years prior to meeting at the VAC, she, a soprano, me, a tenor, in the school chorus. Then, I wouldn't have looked at her, as I was still chasing the Deneh Navajo girl.

If you've been following my postings, you've already heard the story.

Edited by Richard B the EMT

I am currently a student at the local community collage and was trying to debate on what I want to do in life. seeing the lights flashing just makes me want to be there and be the first one to help who ever is in danger, but my biggest thing is what is that salary? Is it livable on or is it something you do just for a little bit tell you get your career going? someone please help me!!!

Depends on what state you are in, Pennsylvania EMT's start at between $8-$10 an hour, In Illinois they start between $12-$14 an hour. It depends on cost of living in the state and what you can do, PA we are very limited on what we can do as compared to some states

And that's why the U.S. continues to have low wages in EMS.

Why pay well, when people will do it for free.

New Alberta provincial wage starts at $29/hr for Paramedic ($40 after 8 yrs), $5 shift differentials on weekends/evenings, 2X Overtime..... must I go on.

Lest we forget that since being forced into HSAA, wages of the higher paid EMT's in the busier urban centers where it's more expensive to live will soon be frozen until the rest of the province catches up. Could be years. That was the word at the one and only HSAA union meeting offered here so far. Last I heard the new OT rate was only going to be 1.5x but I could be wrong. Not sure how some are now going to be able to continue to afford the ever-increasing cost of living and perhaps the thought of EMT-P education if their wages are frozen, especially those with families to support.

Its all up to you, the problem with the folks who whine about EMS pay is that they lack discipline in handling their finances. Yes, it is nice to have 2 new cars and a new house that is too big, and to eat out every day and night, but it is not necessary. Choose the job you love, live within the budget that job supports. Nothing worse than being trapped in a job you hate because you cant afford to quit.

• Like 2