intro into als

I just completed my intro into als... I passed the test, the class, and the assessments. now its on to basic ekg and als medical care and my internship!!! I can't wait... that test was very hard and the average score for that test was a 60... thank goodness i got much higher than that :) Wish me luck with my intership. I am so nervous to start an iv on an actual human

• Like 1

Keep in mind it doesn't hurt you. Find the vein by palpation not by sight and you will have greater success. Rely on your senses as you slide it in you will feel it in your gentle hand. It is not hard but do not get frustrated.

Emtcutie, welcome to the City!

A few words of advice, and please believe that they are meant in kindness. You should pay attention to your capitalization. When presenting yourself on the forum, where you're main impression will not just be the validity of your thoughts, but your ability to present them clearly and in a professional manner, spelling, grammar, punctuation and capitalization can certainly be the difference between getting quality responses and simply being ignored. Just a thought

It sounds as if you're off to a great start in class! Each of those subjects can be a little nerve wracking and stressful, but none, as you seem to see already, so much as internship. The biggest regret that I have from my time in clinicals is that I wasted so much time being insecure. I had a really shitty first phase clinical experience, in fact I almost quit my medic program before graduation because of it, but then when I got amazing preceptors, (all the rest), I wasted a ton of time being timid. And not just mine, but the preceptors that were kind enough to take me seriously, even though at first I didn't deserve it.

Don't forget that the clinicals are for you to FINISH your classroom education with. It meant for you to get a safe place to practice your skills, but much more importantly, a safe place to practice being the medic in charge. Take your time, but don't waste your time. Do you see?

I love your enthusiasm, and the bravery that you've already shown by being smart enough and brave enough to post. Study hard, practice hard, put yourself in every shitty/scary position you can during your clinicals, and you'll do fine.

Dwayne

Edited by DwayneEMTP

Each time I had to start an IV for a patient, I kept expecting them to scream bloody murder and dot me on the top of the head!

Starting your first IV's on 'real, live people' is scary as hell in the begining. I don't have a ton of 'starts' yet, and each one is nerve wracking!

I'm still trying to learn proper technique, and Spenac is right, it's far better to palpate the vein as oppose to just visualizing it. It also saves on doing alot of 'fishing' to harpoon it....

IV's are one of the things I feel I still need lots of practice on, and when I get back into a medic class (March, if all goes well), I'll be setting as many as I possibly can!

I had to learn 'odd ways' because I had one hand in a cast when I started setting them in clinical rotations, and I don't feel that I have a good 'technique' yet.

I've only got about a dozen starts, and only about half were 'successful'....

Remember, when you are starting an IV, even if you are nervous as hell, don't let it show to your pt. You need to show them you are confident and competent, and if you look nervous, then they will become nervous, and harder to stick (more likely to flinch, pull away, refuse to let you stick them). One of my first "real" sticks, I looked to the medic on scene to make sure she agreed with my vein choice. The pt noticed and started saying "don't let her touch me with that needle" I ended up getting the line, but afterwards my medic gave me a long talking to about not looking confident in front of the pt. You need to put your pt at ease, and they won't be unless they think you know what you are doing.

I had a hard time with IVs for a while, finally realized it was my technique that was screwy. I was holding the needle like a dart or a pencil instead of holding it in two fingers perpendicular to them. Since I've refined my technique, I haven't seemed to have the kind of trouble I was before, I'm happy to say. Not to say I don't still miss them (there's more than one patient I've taken to the ER with several new holes in their arms that's probably still cursing my name to this day), but I don't seem to be missing the average or easy sticks anymore. 'Course now I probably just jinxed myself.

One thing I tell my patients is that it is ok to tense up their whole body if they want to, but they have to leave the arm I am working on nice and loose. Have them look away and tell them not to pull away. Patients who jerk/pull away or tense up are way harder to get a successful start on and it hurts a lot more. Tell them on the count of 3 you are going to poke. Remember to hold good tension on the skin because that can make all the difference in some starts.

Most importantly, as many others have said, you must be relaxed (or atelast look it). There is nothing worse than someone holding a needle in their hand looking terrified! lol

Hope that helps a little.

Neesie

Damn straight mate .... yes hello there my name is Kiwi and I'm a competent ambo here to make things better :D

Or some load of shit like that at any rate ....

Why shouldnt we lie to them, I mean I quote Houe "All Patients Lie"

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.