Pros and Cons Of Working A Ski Resort

uglyEMT

Hey gang. Have a question for you all about a possible job I can apply for. The local ski resort is looking for EMTs to man their resort during the upcoming winter season. I have been an avid snowboarder for many years and have been to this place numerous times. I was just wondering if there are any pros or cons to working at a ski resort? Anyone have experience working at a resort? Just trying to get a feel for a job like this, if I should apply for a position.

Not worried about pay as this would just be a side job for me anyways one of the perks is using the resort anytime free so it is an insentive but not the biggest thing.

Is the job as an actual patroller or would you just be based at the bottom at an aid station? I was a volunteer patroller for a few years in college and it was a blast. I also have many many years experience working for various resorts of all sizes as a snowboard instructor. There are some important skills you'll have to learn to be a patroller as far as manning a toboggan, orienteering and extrication. How in depth that training goes depends on the terrain at your resort. You'll also need to become an expert in cold-weather injury/illness and, if you're high enough, altitude sickness. And be aware that doing all this on a snowboard comes with it's own challenges - it's not at all impossible, but you need to be a very strong, confident rider. Intermediate weekend shredders need not apply. Just being upfront with you. Any questions you have specifically about working a resort?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply maverick. As far as I know we would be based at the aid station and only riding up moutain on snowmobiles if necessary. Altitude is not a factor here as the peak is just above 2000. NJ isnt known for its high terrain LOL

I understand about learning and becoming proficent in cold weather injury and illness, which would be a plus for me anyways, the place will be giving a "course" on them then its on the job training basically.

The questions I was having, and still do, is what is it like working for a resort? Is it like a corporation where they look at bottom lines vs actual necessity? Is the work place environment competitive or more like a close nit family? I guess just the basic questions anyone would have about a new job.

I understand every place is different and all that but just looking for basic info thats all.

Thanks for the reply maverick. As far as I know we would be based at the aid station and only riding up moutain on snowmobiles if necessary. Altitude is not a factor here as the peak is just above 2000. NJ isnt known for its high terrain LOL

I understand about learning and becoming proficent in cold weather injury and illness, which would be a plus for me anyways, the place will be giving a "course" on them then its on the job training basically.

The questions I was having, and still do, is what is it like working for a resort? Is it like a corporation where they look at bottom lines vs actual necessity? Is the work place environment competitive or more like a close nit family? I guess just the basic questions anyone would have about a new job.

I understand every place is different and all that but just looking for basic info thats all.

See if you can talk to current and/or former employees to get a handle on how the business operates, what their priorities are, working conditions, pay, etc.

I worked for the ski resorts in Colorado in Summit County for 5 years, it's not the easiest job that's for sure, you tend to see the ugly side of people a lot and being an employee of the resort it self, you need to be able to smile and nod, for there, the customer is ALWAYS right. Every penny made depends in large part to word of mouth for these guys. Colorado kinda speaks for itself, but there was some bad publicity with the corporate owners of Keystone/A-Basin and it hurt them bad. They don't have customers, you don't have a job.

If you can get past that, it's an absolutley amazing place to be and get to work, how many get to wake up and head to the mountain for work? Are you kidding me? Getting to ski fresh powder all season for free is another good point! And if you're really lucky, you get to meet some really amazing people that make up for the crappy ones! We had a large population of drunk and/or hung over peeps, with too much money and a touch of altitude sickness, probably not the best combination!

Basically it comes down to your customer service skills and your attitude I guess. I am very lucky to have worked the ski resorts, and I also knew when it was time to leave and grow up-ish :)

Good Luck!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.