Job Opportunity - Lee County EMS

FL_Medic

• 5 months later...

Hi there,

I saw your post and I was hoping I can ask you a few questions.

I live in Lee county and I am hoping to start my EMT course starting this fall. I have been trying to research everything I can get my hands on so I can fully grasp the commitment.

I have in depth spoken to my instructor and have all the necessary information on the course requirements etc.

Once I complete the course, is it feasible to keep up my skills working part time or per diem in this county. Would it be unrealistic to try to obtain employment as a part timer with the various shifts. I have seen Lee county specifically work shifts such as

A B or C. I am trying to find out what they mean. The reason I want to work part time is due to the facts that my husband travels extensively and the responsibilities really fall on my shoulders, so taking on a full time schedule at this time would not work. I am also

willing to work on a volunteer basis to keep my skills up and slowly ease into the demands of the job.

I see Lee County is slowly moving into obtaining 16 new ambulances soon and perhaps that will open up more positions. I have people in my life trying to sway me not to take the course as they say I cannot utilize the skills taught and why pay money to "work" for free". I don't see it that way, at all. I see it as bettering myself to help others and at least I will have the formal education process completed.

I appreciate your opinion as you are working in the field. I did get an opportunity to speak to our local fire station and what I have heard is .." go for it"

Thank you for reading my post and any comments would be appreciated.

Skydivediva,

As a fellow Lee County citizen and Lee County Paramedic here's hopefully some insight to your questioning:

Part-time employment is only for those who are employed full-time and are credentialed through our medical director and are willing to switch to part-time. The county does not hire part-time paramedics or EMT's straight off the street.

Our shift schedules are 24 hrs on 48 hrs off in a A, B, C, shift pattern. Meaning if you are assigned to A shift you work every A shift which is always every third day after the end of your previous shift. It's the same for B and C shift. So if today is an A shift then tomorrow is a B shift, and so on. Now we also do have 12 hr shifts called D and E shifts. they work 2 on 3 off one week and three on, two off the next. But as far as scheduling goes that's it.

Part-time employment means you sign up for your shifts ahead of time. You get to pick them. The only obligations are, you cannot work more the 48 hrs in a pay period (two weeks) and you must work at least two shifts (whether its 24 or 12) a month.

We also do not hire volunteers.

As far as the 16 new ambulance thing, that's news to me. If they're obtaining that many its not to add new trucks, its to replace the aging fleet of ambulances we have currently. The budget was slashed more then 40% over the past two years. We are currently operating on 2004 budget standards. Meaning we're operating on what we did in 2004.

Our call volume is up close to 25,000 more calls then 2004 (50,000 runs for 2004 vs 78,304 for 2010). For instance, if each call we're dispatched to cost the county $176.00 and were responding to an additional volume of 25,000 calls this year it would cost the county 4.4 million dollars more over the 2004 budget standards to run the system. So we're sitting in rough shape because of economy. But there have been no layoffs, no pay cuts, and no trucks shut down. They're hiring now, bc we just had a few people go to part-time. So they're trying to back-fill those positions to keep things status quo.

So should you go to school and follow through with it? Absolutely! It is one of the very few careers that are as rewarding as ours. I hope this helped you. If you need to you can PM me for more information.

• 2 weeks later...

First off,

Good Luck!!!!

Second its 10 push-ups, 10 sit-ups, 10 jumping jacks, carry a 250 lb backboard patient 250 ft, stop do two minutes of CPR then bring him back to a awaiting stretcher, then place him in the back of an awaiting rig. Carry a 50lb med bag a certain distance, and few other things that I can't remember. But its been like 6 years since I've had to take it.

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.