New Alberta Protocols

a_shane2_go

Just overviewing the new protocols for the province of Alberta. Any comment from any Alberta Medics, EMT's or EMR's?

Yay ketamine! :thumbsup:

For those of you outside of Alberta. As of Dec. 1 this year the province is planning on having province wide (AHS) protocols in place.

Havent had a chance to look at them yet but I suppose it's a decent idea. But AHS was supposed to be a decent idea too. The service I'm at is kind of a "take some from this province and that province" deal, so our protocols arent near what AHS has, so it's a bit of above and beyond what we normally practice here. That'll be good in the learning process and the transition from BLS to ALS provider here, I just hope the whole implimentatio goes smoothly. It should, right?

Fish_KO

You won't have to worry too much about the AHS deal soon enough anyway :shiftyninja: I am sure your protocols will be strictly Sk based (at least that is the rumor I have heard)

As for the prov protocols, I have only been through the Cardiac portion, but I am pretty impressed so far.

Induced hypothermia post ROSC.

TPA on car.

Ketamine.

RSI/RSS

All good progressive things in my view.

I do not like the fact that there is no peds surgical airway (Yet), nor are we treating stable V-Tach.

However, the focus on EBM is VERY exciting.

Any mention of CPAP or NIPPV or standardize Transport Ventilators capable of NIPPV

Please don't tell me that AHS cheaped out and chose the Boussignac CPAP device.

And is TPA going to be on ALL ALS cars ?

cheers

Any mention of CPAP or NIPPV or standardize Transport Ventilators capable of NIPPV

Please don't tell me that AHS cheaped out and chose the Boussignac CPAP device.

And is TPA going to be on ALL ALS cars ?

Boussignac is the least we have to have. Trans vent is prefered

hmm.... Seems they have removed antidysrythmics from VT/VF arrests..

Interesting

cheers

Not yet.

You have to have a secure login.

On would think as a registered Provider in Alberta that the protocols should really be posted for Public access, like the ACoP website as a link ?

1- There are many in AB that work primarily in Industrial EMS and need continuity to "hand over care" to a local AHS provider, this to maintain medical coverage on a work-site and prevent work a stoppage in a multi million dollar operation, in regard for OH + S regulations.

2- These new protocols / guidelines / standing orders have been developed with taxpayers moneys and should be made available to all, like the MDs and RNs working in rural areas) i.e. for continuity of care.

cheers

hmm.... Seems they have removed antidysrythmics from VT/VF arrests..

Interesting

Yeah, in the Calgary we haven't used antidysrythmics in routine practice for quite some time, I wonder if an argument could be made to remove even Epi from codes, as it doesn't seem to translate to an increase in pts getting out of the hospital alive.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.