How do we fix it?

AZCEP

What are the prereqs for your program now?

BLS healthcare provider or equivalent

Basic EMT certification with no minimum experience requirement mandated

Tb/MMR result within 6 months of beginning of clinical rotations

English/math entrance exam score

Written/practical/oral board entrance testing

If you chose to raise the required prereqs for your program, is there a threat of losing students to others that would not share that higher standard? ( I guess my question it, what is the pressure to eliminate prerequs to attempt to keep the seats filled?)

There is no pressure to keep seats filled. My program is self sustaining, so if there aren't a minimum number of students we don't do a program. This has never been an issue, but if it should happen we would postpone the testing/beginning of the class just to keep the individual costs reasonable.

If you raised the prereqs, would that possibly make your grads more hireable, leading to your program growing due to it's increased placement possibilities?

The students that enter the programs are already employed with an EMS provider. Increasing the entrance requirements, as things stand now, wouldn't change the desire of the students or their employers to choose between programs.

Of course, all this assumes the program needs to make money, and I don't know if that's always the case, but it seems if we're to end the educational stagnation (in general) it has to follow the money...right?

My program is run through the education department of a non-profit hospital. Any money left over at the end of the program is rolled into equipment for the next class, or scholarship offerings.