The Improvised Airway

Chief1C

Just so we don't hijack a thread, and clearly not meant for the seizing victim. This is actual instruction, on how to control an airway, when alone..and miles from help. This is not an EMS procedure, it is directed toward laypersons that open the little booklet in the first aid kit they never learned how to use.

safetypinairway.jpg

Adding to that, it's also important to pin either a gauze pad or cotton to the tongue as well. Saliva won't be an issue, the tongue will dry up after a few minutes. But bleeding will be. We know why, they don't mention this. Although, the victim will likely die anyway. Either from their initial problem, or drowning in blood.

I am confused how they think this would keep the airway open in the first place. I tried pulling down my lip and sticking out my tongue (made sure my partner wasn't watching :P ) But I am pretty sure the airway would still not be open... Can someone educate me please?

btw, doesn't pulling the tongue out of the persons mouth just put it in the perfect place for the person to, i don't know, BITE IT?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.