Help Me Self Learn Anything EMT Related (Read)

KyleKIR

Thanks again to all of you for the replies. I will start looking more into A&P learning how the body works and what certain parts do. I'm sure a lot of this knowledge comes with time and years of learning, so I'm not going to try and cram everything in and just "know it all" right now.. but learn the basics and go from there. Pretty much do what you guys say like this

"You should start with the human body, its parts, where they're located and what they do. Then you can focus on HOW they do what they do (ie: how does the air we breathe in get to the cells of our feet?)"

Anyways I found this guy "Mr. Ford" on youtube. He teaches online A&P through videos & he seems like a really good teacher (for trying to teach us online) I watched this video about the body cavities through him. Here it is if you guys want to check it out. Not that you need it or anything, but just in case there is someone else reading who may.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6DdhZzOSFk&feature=related

I may pay his little $50.00 fee to take a whole online A&P class through his site (which you should be able to find in the description of his vids if you want to see).. think it'd be worth it?

I may pay his little $50.00 fee to take a whole online A&P class through his site (which you should be able to find in the description of his vids if you want to see).. think it'd be worth it?

Yes!

He talks a little juvenile, but it will only increase your knowledge and prepare you for Paramedic school.

What is $50 anyway.

@ mbuchanan0119, Thanks for writing as well. I understand that if I learn things now I'll just be learning it again in school. I don't mind that actually.. what I'm learning now is pretty much scattered information.. when I get into a class I'll have general knowledge of whats going on. The instructor will be able to reteach me what I somewhat already know, and show me how to apply what I learned.

See I've been learn things myself like certain vocab. words and I have no clue how to use a lot of them in a sentence.

Say for example.. the words: Posterior, Anterior, Ventral, Dorsal, Proximal, Distal.

I'm assuming I'll need to know these words so I have learned them. You ask me what they mean I'll tell you, but When it comes to actually using the words say in a sentence or dealing what a patient I have no clue how to use these words. So I think its good I at least know what they mean now..so when I get into an EMT class the Instructor will be able to then not only re teach me those words, but show me how they'll be used and how to apply them in the field.

does that make sense?

Also, thanks for bringing up the B/P Cuff. I used to look at those blood pressure numbers and see/hear numbers like 120/80... I used to think "what does that mean?" "what is 120/80?"

Now after looking it up I know they are the numbers from systolic pressure and diastolic pressure.. which are used to determine the persons blood pressure level..or something like that lol. I will now go look for a B/P cuff and stethoscope and practice taking pulse. (Saw both together on amazon for like 9$)

Okay so this post is not only for the guy who replied but everyone to read.. feel free to respond.. Also while I'm here I want to add some questions.

I read about respiratory rate... how do you determine someones respiratory rate? Along with B/P and Respiratory rates.. what else do you measure or check for in that sense on patients.. that I should know?

One last question. I'm not sure if this is something to know for someone who is just starting out.. but things like Liters, Milliliters, and certain numbers like 12mg of blah blah whatever you use... when dealing with patients... I don't know any of that and I'm thinking that's stuff for "Paramedics" ? Do you know where I can start learning all that? Hope that makes sense I'm not sure how to better ask about that... but if you understand what I mean hope you can reply.

Thanks again to all of you and sorry if I ask too much.

I have a suggestion....Get a LITTMANN stethoscope because of the high quality parts they are built with.

Medical Uniform Stores have them as well as http://allheart.com

If you decide to work as an EMT, some depts require the Cardiology 3 or the Master Cardiology.

Edited by Teen EMT

I have a suggestion....Get a LITTMANN stethoscope because of the high quality parts they are built with.

Medical Uniform Stores have them as well as http://allheart.com

If you decide to work as an EMT, some depts require the Cardiology 3 or the Master Cardiology.

Not to start an argument, but I have to call BS on that last part. Please show me one dept or agency that requires their staff to have a scope like that. I have been applying all over the US lately and not seen a thing like that at all.

Actually, if they require it, they should provide proper training to fully utilize it, which includes knowing how to determine S3, S4, gallops, rubs, murmurs, etc. After all, what good is buying top of the line if you can't use it to it's full potential?

oooo, I like your answer better!

:punk:

Actually, if they require it, they should provide proper training to fully utilize it, which includes knowing how to determine S3, S4, gallops, rubs, murmurs, etc. After all, what good is buying top of the line if you can't use it to its full potential?

Totally agree. Listening to and deciphering heart sounds is not easy- especially in the back of a rig, with lots of noise and distractions.

To me, that's like buying an Indy race car for a newly licensed 16 year old driver. It may look really cool, but that kid will never be able to use the car to it's full potential.

Not to start an argument, but I have to call BS on that last part. Please show me one dept or agency that requires their staff to have a scope like that. I have been applying all over the US lately and not seen a thing like that at all.

EVAC Ambulance

Volusia County Florida (1 county south of me).

The reason they require it is that FL EMS does ALOT of MVAs (due to dumb people who can't drive) and thus it is required because it helps block out noise....I have the cardio 3 and I know this for a fact.

Edited by Teen EMT

EVAC Ambulance

Volusia County Florida (1 county south of me).

The reason they require it is that FL EMS does ALOT of MVAs (due to dumb people who can't drive) and thus it is required because it helps block out noise....I have the cardio 3 and I know this for a fact.

Umm, try again hero.

First, EVAC is a private company and no they do not REQUIRE it.

Second, having a top of the line stethoscope and running frequent MVCs has no correlation. Ex: So what if you run a lot of car crashes...are cars still crashing around you while you are on the side of a busy highway??? Or are you in the rig listening just like every other ambulance does in every other state....there is nothing unique about "FL EMS" and vehicle crashes.

Third, because you own one makes nothing fact. Heard the word anecdotal before?

So take your "ALOT of MVAs" and "FL EMS" (which is almost nonexistent) and do some serious fact checking next time.