Oregon Paramedic Jobs

FistyKid

Howdy Team,

I'm a new addition to emtCity, but I've been reading over it for years now... Here's my situation, and maybe someone out there can give me some good advice.

I'm been in EMS for 6 years, almost 4 as a medic. I moved from Illinois to Oregon with my wife, for her schooling in optometry. Before the move I had to get reciprocity in Oregon, which means I had to get my National (Illinois is one of those states that doesn't make you get the national, because there's too many lazy EMT's or Firefighters here that'd never be able to study for, and pass the NR exams.) Long story short, I got the NR with out any trouble, other than having to drive to other states to get the DOT Refresher, and the practical exam. But I couldn't apply for Oregon Reciprocity unless I lived in Oregon or was hired by someone in Oregon. Obviously, I wouldn't live there until... I lived there. And I couldn't apply anywhere until I had the license in hand!

I wasn't worried, I knew that AMR was in Portland, and I made the HUGE mistake of assuming that AMR would be hiring, because they're so big, the turnover would be high. Big mistake. By the time I got here and waited the two months to get my license in the mail, AMR wasn't hiring. And another two months go by and... they're still not hiring. Neither is the county based private ambulance company who does 911 where I live, MetroWest.

I feel like I'm behind the 8 Ball. The OR state card I got expires this summer, so I need to start racking up my con-ed. Can't find weekly con-ed classes unless I work for an ambulance company. Can't find work with an ambulance company because I'm new to the area, they're not hiring, and out here... no one knows me. EMS has always been like a tight knit family to me, and I know how hard it is to break into such a tight group.

I'm looking everywhere, and so far the only place hiring is a 6 hour drive away, I've applied, but I'd rather not have to live away from my wife to work in the job I love.

Any ideas?

While I presume you want gainful employment as an EMT, I hesitantly suggest looking for a Volunteer Ambulance Corps or Volunteer Fire Department, where you can get yourself known, even if unpaid, in the local EMS industry. With that as a background, perhaps AMR or Metrowest might reconsider your application.

JT and Richard,

Thanks for the info. The voulenteer FD in town is 'hiring' in the winter, and has my app. You're right, unpaid but getting my name out (while doing nice things for the community) is the plan.

It's funny that you bring up CO, I have a pal out there, and I'm looking into getting CO reciprocity.

Thanks! Keep the good ideas coming!

JT and Richard,

Thanks for the info. The voulenteer FD in town is 'hiring' in the winter, and has my app. You're right, unpaid but getting my name out (while doing nice things for the community) is the plan.

It's funny that you bring up CO, I have a pal out there, and I'm looking into getting CO reciprocity.

Thanks! Keep the good ideas coming!

As a medic you'll have an easier time than I've had looking for work up there :P Good luck either way man!

Sorry, meant CO :P My cert doesn't transfer well to the PNW

Well , Ada County is hiring in october. Applications accepted now.

www.adaparamedics.org

Of course, this is in Idaho....but beats moving to CO.

Edited by croaker260

Well , Ada County is hiring in october. Applications accepted now.

www.adaparamedics.org

Of course, this is in Idaho....but beats moving to CO.

Haha, true. I also applied to a place in Burns, OR. It's 6 hours away and has pretty progressive protocols. The only negative is that I'd live there and come back and visit my wife every week or so. But still, at least I'd be on a rig and keeping my skills sharp.

The money was really good, too. So that helps.

They have those rules to keep outsiders out, from walking in and taking their jobs. Washington is the same way I think. So is Louisiana, at least they were. I live in Texas, just across the state line from Cameron Parish. I wanted an La. cert when I was doing part-time for Acadian, as that would open a lot of options if there were few slots open closer to home. You had to have an employer in La. to get their cert, which they require in addition to National. Texas is almost the same, you have to get your National to get the state cert, but not to keep it. (why get a cert and then let it lapse?) I went to visit my brother a few years ago. There were NO hotels or motels in the small town where he lived at that time. It was a pretty clear message...get on down the road. He lives in Oregon now. Just out of curiosity, I looked into what was involved in getting their certification. Looked at Washington too because my wife has a lot of family there, not too far from Pendleton, Oregon. It would have been jumping through a whole buncha hoops to live in a place that taxes the crap out of everything. My father-in-law just got back from a trip to Connell, Wa, to see my wife's sister and her family. He said the food prices were outrageous, especially since most of it was grown nearby.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.