Interesting youtube find.

basejump

It's 2 am. You come to a red light in your POV. You're the only one at the intersection. Is it legal to proceed against the red light even though you're the only one there? If it is not, then proceeding through a red light, even though only after ascertaining that nearby cars are granting the right of way demanded under penalty of law, is still an exemption to the rules of the road granted to emergency vehicle when operating in emergent situations.

POV is not an emergency vehicle. If the red light is blinking, then you treat is as if it were a stop sign. You STOP look both ways.. then proceed if there is no oncoming traffic. If the red light is solid... you wait until the light turns green.

Regardless of being an ambulance, fire engine, cop car, ice cream truck... you must stop at red lights and stop signs. You may proceed if the intersection is safe and you make yourself seen and heard. This ONLY applies when you are running emergent.

POV is not an emergency vehicle. If the red light is blinking, then you treat is as if it were a stop sign. You STOP look both ways.. then proceed if there is no oncoming traffic. If the red light is solid... you wait until the light turns green.

Regardless of being an ambulance, fire engine, cop car, ice cream truck... you must stop at red lights and stop signs. You may proceed if the intersection is safe and you make yourself seen and heard. This ONLY applies when you are running emergent.

...which is exactly my point. It is wrong to say that emergency vehicles have to follow normal traffic laws since they are explicitly exempt (some conditional exemptions, some full exemptions) from several normal traffic laws. Hence my contention with the line, "Regardless of the incident, ambulances still have to obey ALL TRAFFIC LAWS even if they are driving around or responding/transporting," as they don't have to obey all traffic laws when operating emergently.

As I am not on my home computer right now, and not looking up the specific laws involved, emergency vehicles are allowed to ignore specific vehicle and traffic laws, in specific instances, but always acting with due regard to any and all other vehicular and pedestrian traffic when doing so.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.