Reclassing to 68w

First off, I, and others both on this site, and not on this site, thank you for your military services.

Second, when reclassifying from one primary mission in the military to another, doesn't the military require some time in the new or reclassified primary mission, to "get their money's worth" from the personnel with the new line of training?

In the Pre-FDNY EMS in NYC, such time commitment was required from anyone who upgraded from EMT to Paramedic, at least 2 years (I think), or pay back a cash penalty to the service. Doesn't the military do something similar, as I already asked in this posting?

Richard, this is correct. The point is depending on the time requirement, and how much time is left on the soldiers contract, it may not be an issue.

MP-EMT22, I'm pretty much in the same boat with you in terms of your experiences. My last enlistment (2005) I wanted to reclass as a 68W and was denied because of my MOS (88M) was a "critical" MOS and I would not be able to get out of it, ok whatever took my 15k bonus and suffered thru my horrible unit till now. I'm 9 months short now, not enlisting but taking a break to prep and attend Medic school and get my family life squared away.

I have 14 years in with 2 tours, I want to retire with more then 20 yrs so I'm halfway there. While I love being an 88M when I'm actually doing my job, all the TC units I've been with and around are ate up beyond belief. I want to become a 68W and finish my career doing what I love to do, I know military EMS and civilian EMS are worlds apart and don't recognize each other when it comes to qualifications and certs, but I'd love to have the experience of being on both sides of the fence.

Armymedic, you're up at FIG? I live down in Lancaster, used to drill in Lancaster until I got pawned off to our sister co. at Dix. We're up at FIG often and I remember mooching some equipment off of a training unit up there for our FTX. Don't know if it was your unit or not but they were awesome in allowing us to use their equipment.

Do you guys teach CLS by any chance?

Sean

MP-EMT22, I'm pretty much in the same boat with you in terms of your experiences. My last enlistment (2005) I wanted to reclass as a 68W and was denied because of my MOS (88M) was a "critical" MOS and I would not be able to get out of it, ok whatever took my 15k bonus and suffered thru my horrible unit till now. I'm 9 months short now, not enlisting but taking a break to prep and attend Medic school and get my family life squared away.

I have 14 years in with 2 tours, I want to retire with more then 20 yrs so I'm halfway there. While I love being an 88M when I'm actually doing my job, all the TC units I've been with and around are ate up beyond belief. I want to become a 68W and finish my career doing what I love to do, I know military EMS and civilian EMS are worlds apart and don't recognize each other when it comes to qualifications and certs, but I'd love to have the experience of being on both sides of the fence.

Armymedic, you're up at FIG? I live down in Lancaster, used to drill in Lancaster until I got pawned off to our sister co. at Dix. We're up at FIG often and I remember mooching some equipment off of a training unit up there for our FTX. Don't know if it was your unit or not but they were awesome in allowing us to use their equipment.

Do you guys teach CLS by any chance?

Sean

CLS.....sure do....check your ATTRS link on AKO for dates......

• 5 weeks later...

I would like to give you some of the advice I've been given over the years on these matters. I spent 12 years as a medic in the Army. I know all about the in/out call. I tried to reclass several time to become a vet tech and a few others without success until that last moment I was set on getting out. the number one thing is continue to hound your career counselor about it. Make a hard stand on it. they are used to this though and it doesn't always work. Second contact your branch manager. Try to talk to them about. Express your views and thoughts on it clearly and professionally. Your branch manager is you best weapon on this. Your second best is your chain of command. Starting at the 1SG level these folks have made some friends in high places. Use them. Again you have to present your thoughts and wishes to them clearly and professionally especially when you get to your CSM. You have to continue to push for it. Never back down or just give up. Unfortunately these ideas are in no way a garuntee. But it helps. I know soldiers that tried most of their career to reclass using these tactics and were never able to. Sometimes that's the way it is. But as I said before never give up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.