Reclassing to 68w

To any 68W"s out there, your help would be greatly appreciated. I am currently a 31B (military police) and I am doing pretty much everything I can to reenlist to reclass. Problem is, the in/out calls shows that I cant leave my MOS. Has anyone had to deal with this issue to enter an new MOS? If so, how did you do it. I still have 2 years left and my reenlistment window is now open and my choices are to either wait it out in a MOS and company with grave low moral and poor leadership and wait til I get to the civilian side to start paramedic school....or make the attempt to reclass. My only fear is that I will end up in an even worse situation in a more miserable company with more time in my contract. Could any current 68W's give me an idea on the pro's and con's of your MOS? I have already deployed so combat is not the factor I am worrying about. Its just another miserable enlistment that is the issue. I currently am a state certified EMT and I am willing to start over from the beginning of the 16 weeks. I just need some solid advice to make the best decision. Thanks

What is your ultimate goal? If you want to be a civilian paramedic, 68W will not be all that helpful as you can look at going directly into a paramedic programme assuming your EMT credential is valid.

Take care,

chbare.

My main goal is to become a paramedic. My other goal is to use my last 2 years wisely and possibly put it to good use and possibly enjoy it if I can. If I stay where I am, it wont be the case. The company is on a downhill slope. Poor decisions during deployment, a soldier suicide, and habitually poor leadership. Being an MP was a bad decision in the first place and I shouldnt have signed the contract if I had to choose and MOS that wasnt my initial choice (68W). Its damage control at this point. My perception of the Army is blemished by this company and I am stuck between staying and sticking it out and do civilian EMS or extend for a year to reclass with hopes that it will be a turn for the best. I dont mean to complain but the issues are variables that influence the decision making process. Just the facts.

Thanks

MP-EMT22

• Like 1

It does not look like reclassification into the 68W MOS will be all that helpful when taking your civilian goals into consideration, especially given your current MOS situation. Are you in a position to look at taking college courses? Perhaps working through some anatomy and physiology while you bide your time would be a great way to set you up for success?

Take care,

chbare.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly it looks like the issues proving problematic have more to do with the command climate in your unit than your specific MOS.

The quality of life for a medic is equally dependent on the command climate of the unit. Some units really appreciate having the medics. Others see them as "idle", and rather than pushing them to train like they should in preparation for the two way firing range, see only more warm bodies to set to all sort of menial task. Many commanders do not appreciate the value of the medic until troops start absorbing incoming fire. In a medical unit, this is less likely, though they tend to be top heavy, and that can grow tiresome if you are below the rank of O-4. Other commanders get that free time should be spent in clinic or in medical training, and this isn't a bad way to be if you're a shooter in an inf unit. The truly primo medic slots are flight medics on dustoff, or SOF, which are unlikely to go to a cherry medic straight out of whiskey school.

So my advice is, don't reclass just to get out of a shitty unit. There are plenty of shitty slots that 68W get into. 68W, like any worthwhile MOS, requires dedication and concentrated study.

'zilla

• Like 1

My main goal is to become a paramedic. My other goal is to use my last 2 years wisely and possibly put it to good use and possibly enjoy it if I can. If I stay where I am, it wont be the case. The company is on a downhill slope. Poor decisions during deployment, a soldier suicide, and habitually poor leadership. Being an MP was a bad decision in the first place and I shouldnt have signed the contract if I had to choose and MOS that wasnt my initial choice (68W). Its damage control at this point. My perception of the Army is blemished by this company and I am stuck between staying and sticking it out and do civilian EMS or extend for a year to reclass with hopes that it will be a turn for the best. I dont mean to complain but the issues are variables that influence the decision making process. Just the facts.

Thanks

MP-EMT22

If I were you, I'd be looking for PCS opportunities vs. reclassing at this stage. I spent almost 7yrs as a 68W and am now in paramedic school. Though my experience is definitely helpful, it's more in the way of confidence, critical thinking skills, situational awareness and handling pressure than medical expertise. I've had a LOT to learn when it comes to civilian medical practice. I could see if you were to be assigned to a medical unit in a clinical setting where you might get a little more paramedic-prep knowledge, but as a field medic... I know trauma, I know mass cas, I know oh-shit situations and I know basic preventatives. This hasn't given me any advantage over my classmates when it comes to working an MI, dealing with diabetics or handling psych patients - the bread and butter of civilian EMS. I have skills - IV, IO, intubation - but those are just hand-eye things that are easy to learn. The real academic stuff that truly makes a paramedic, the Army didn't give me because it wasn't my mission. Now I'm not saying to not reclass. If you are truly interested in medicine, particularly military medicine, and you want to stay in the Army, go for it. It can be a very rewarding MOS. But as Doczilla said, you can end up in a fubar'd unit as a medic just as easily as any other MOS. I spent a few months with a TC unit and was nothing more than a glorified copy bitch, even though I was an experienced team leader at the time. I lucked out and most of my time in the Army, I loved my unit. I was attached to an infantry unit and loved my job. But they trusted me and my abilities, that's what made it great. Not every medic who came to us faired as well - they didn't make the cut so to speak. What it all comes down to is unit dynamics, from leadership to interpersonal - MOS has nothing to do with it. If all you are looking for is a way out of an f'ed up company, start pushing for a transfer. The mentality and basic leadership and soldiering skills that you have and will gain while serving will serve you well as a paramedic, regardless of MOS. And like chbare said, you can always start preparing yourself now education-wise. Good luck! If I can help with anything else, feel free to send me a PM.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I also have a question about reclassing to 68W. I am a Combat Engineer in the Army with about 2 and half years remaining in my initial 4 year contract. Is it possible to reclass into another MOS, 68W respectively, right now, without having to reenlist? If reenlisting cannot be overlooked, is it possible to limit my reenlistment term to a year?

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the late post folks. Been out of town......

To the OP. You do not know me, so let me put this into perspective for you. I have 14 yrs in service with 10 year on active duty. 4 tours, with 3 of them to Iraq. The four years I was part time guard, I worked as a civilian paramedic, and was an instructor/preceptor. I went back to active duty, and now teach 68W reclass at Ft Indaintown Gap, PA.

The bottom line here is being a proficent 68W CAN make you a proficent paramedic. BUT, they are two seperate jobs, with different scopes.

I would not use 68W as a means to the ends of being a Civilian Paramedic. I would recommend the reclass if you want to become an Army flight medic, or are going to re-enlist beyond your initial contract. But, by the sounds of it, I dont think that is going to happen.

What ever pro's you are looking at to go 68W are over shadowed by the fact that those same traits are ones you most likely have as a soldier.

Feel free to PM me if you need.

To 21to68...The answers to both your questions are YES.....but why would you want to? If you have no intention on re-enlisting beyond your current contract why go through the hassel of a reclass? If your intent is to go civilian EMS, please reread the above comments......

......CH knows what he talking about.

Cheers everyone.

Edited by armymedic571

You do not know me, so let me put this into perspective for you. I have 14 yrs in service with 10 year on active duty. 4 tours, with 3 of them to Iraq. The four years I was part time guard, I worked as a civilian paramedic, and was an instructor/preceptor. I went back to active duty, and now teach 68W reclass at Ft Indaintown Gap, PA.

First off, I, and others both on this site, and not on this site, thank you for your military services.

Second, when reclassifying from one primary mission in the military to another, doesn't the military require some time in the new or reclassified primary mission, to "get their money's worth" from the personnel with the new line of training?

In the Pre-FDNY EMS in NYC, such time commitment was required from anyone who upgraded from EMT to Paramedic, at least 2 years (I think), or pay back a cash penalty to the service. Doesn't the military do something similar, as I already asked in this posting?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.